Rough Day: No Fall Sports

DannyHoke

20 minutes ago, zipsfan33 said:

But only spectators can be immediate family or special person to player/ band member

That's gonna be hard to prove. Are they gonna ask for ID's and relationship status?

Edited by blueandgold

On 8/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, LZIp said:

i'll be very interested to see how the whole scholarship issue ends up playing out, and i'm not counting on a spring season. Its pretty clear there isn't going to be college sports until there is a vaccine. I don't believe these conferences will be able to prevent breakouts if they attempt to play a fall season. Spring season will be most "advantageous" for us I think if they don't move up the 85 scholarship limit. We in theory should be able to get transfers who can contribute immediately with next year's class and be at  or closer to 85 (don't want to go in too heavy on upperclassman). If they start giving exemptions for the limit or get funky with the number for a year or two we are really in the same disadvantaged spot we are now. Also not a fan of the 25/year limit...I believe we have that thanks to the big schools cutting players.

Probably helps us some how big the staff is on culture and accountability. Also gives us some more time for our extremely young team to get a little older.

So worst case scenario may be coming to fruition, at least for another year. We may get to 95-100 scholarships, but other schools may be at 100-110. Especially MAC schools where many aren't able to be drafted. Why not take another year to get your masters and one more shot at playing at the next level?  Always behind the 8 ball it seems.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

So worst case scenario may be coming to fruition, at least for another year. We may get to 95-100 scholarships, but other schools may be at 100-110. Especially MAC schools where many aren't able to be drafted. Why not take another year to get your masters and one more shot at playing at the next level?  Always behind the 8 ball it seems.

Clear as mud.

I came across this article yesterday about OU and the struggles faced by midwestern regional universities.  Interesting reading with many of the points applying to UA's current plight-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/ohio-university-s-identity-crisis-shows-struggles-regional-public-universities-n1237138

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I came across this article yesterday about OU and the struggles faced by midwestern regional universities.  Interesting reading with many of the points applying to UA's current plight-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/ohio-university-s-identity-crisis-shows-struggles-regional-public-universities-n1237138

And I read that Purdue had its biggest freshmen class ever.

13 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good article. "Who should they serve?"  Great question. The state schools should serve the public by providing an affordable education to the students that will benefit the public good moving forward and avail the general public by providing access to many of those benefits creating strong community bonds. College athletics has a large role in this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gozips19 said:

I am guessing that has something to do with their large online offerings. 

I think it's a sign of what the article above suggests, that the regionals are losing student while the nationals are growing.  If UA costs more than OSU or Purdue is less than Indiana Fort Wayne and you can get in to either, most kids will head to the big name school.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Very similar, but don't let them hear you say that..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

basketball and football going on simultaneously would be crazy and fun.

Saturday/Saturday night double header...

With enough time in between to shed some layers of clothes and catch dinner along the strip. 

nah, that’s too logical...