Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DannyHoke

Rough Day: No Fall Sports

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

posted about 1 hour ago... (EDIT: you can't see the below picture, but our football equipment bus is in Charlotte.)

 

Everyone knows you don't agree to a non conference game unless you bring the whole equipment truck ūüėČ

 

Probably just getting repaired. Wonder if that's where they get the graphics done for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate 2020.  And COVID and no college football are just the tip of the iceberg!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Probably just getting repaired. Wonder if that's where they get the graphics done for it

From what I hear, the 2021 slogan is being added to the truck.

 

It's either -

 

"Division 2 Fever - Catch it!"

 

or

 

"Akron Football - The Northwest Missouri State of the East"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

posted about 1 hour ago... (EDIT: you can't see the below picture, but our football equipment bus is in Charlotte.)

 


This pic reminds me of the scene in the movie ‚ÄúSlapshot‚ÄĚ where the team is losing money and the GM is selling off the skate sharpener, uniforms, the team bus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just hope to hell that at a time the University and Athletics are facing millions of dollars in cuts that they're not sending the equipment truck of the 0-11 football team to North Carolina for new graphics.  That would not only be financially irresponsible, but would be "putting lipstick on a pig."   Let's hope it is there for warranty work.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, just maybe, the trucking company that the team uses to transport the Football Equipment, is using their trailer on the road and making money with it, since it was just sitting around collecting dust on campus!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, DannyHoke said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

 

Regardless of any past thoughts, seeing an entire FALL SPORTS SEASON be cancelled is a major blow to Akron, and every program in the MAC.

 

Likely not the only conference to make this move, but the first at the FBS level.  The economics without football buy games is impossible to navigate. 

 

Football impacts schools, but not really the NCAA. If this extends to the winter and there is no basketball tournament for a second season, the end of the NCAA will be in short order. No $$$ no sports.  

 

This could well be the total reset that we have been tossing around in various ways for years.  

 

 

 

The silver lining for us may be that it gives us more time to get more player talent into the program before taking the field again, while at the same time some MAC opponents may lose some of their best players to transfer. Maybe not good for the MAC overall but gets us closer to parity quicker.

 

Edited by ZippyRulz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

 

The silver lining for us may be that it gives us more time to get players in while at the same time some MAC opponents may lose some of their best players to transfer. Maybe not good for the MAC overall but gets us closer to parity quicker.

 

i'll be very interested to see how the whole scholarship issue ends up playing out, and i'm not counting on a spring season. Its pretty clear there isn't going to be college sports until there is a vaccine. I don't believe these conferences will be able to prevent breakouts if they attempt to play a fall season. Spring season will be most "advantageous" for us I think if they don't move up the 85 scholarship limit. We in theory should be able to get transfers who can contribute immediately with next year's class and be at  or closer to 85 (don't want to go in too heavy on upperclassman). If they start giving exemptions for the limit or get funky with the number for a year or two we are really in the same disadvantaged spot we are now. Also not a fan of the 25/year limit...I believe we have that thanks to the big schools cutting players.

 

Probably helps us some how big the staff is on culture and accountability. Also gives us some more time for our extremely young team to get a little older.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very pessimistic as to whether we will ever play football at the FBS level again.  I think this will end up being the excuse the administrators needed to be done with the giant black hole of major NCAA athletics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, InTheZone said:

I'm very pessimistic as to whether we will ever play football at the FBS level again.  I think this will end up being the excuse the administrators needed to be done with the giant black hole of major NCAA athletics.

I think you are 90% correct. The only question is....how fast can the P5 schools ditch G5 schools, the NCAA and reorganize themselves?  Some of these P5 schools are going to be out of a lot more money than G5 schools this year. That kind of money does not get made up in one year or two.  It could take many of them up to 10 years to get their finances back to where they want them to be. The sooner they ditch G5 schools and replace them with more profitable games, television money, advertisements, etc, the sooner they can get their balance sheets back in order. The sooner the NCAA goes away, the faster they can eliminate the overhead necessary for compliance nonsense.  If the P5 schools think they can do this by next year, you are 100% correct.

 

In the end, G5 schools really need to get together and decide how they can best use their athletic departments to shine a positive light on their schools. I'm hoping they have the sense to bring in other people to think about that for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I think you are 90% correct. The only question is....how fast can the P5 schools ditch G5 schools, the NCAA and reorganize themselves?  Some of these P5 schools are going to be out of a lot more money than G5 schools this year. That kind of money does not get made up in one year or two.  It could take many of them up to 10 years to get their finances back to where they want them to be. The sooner they ditch G5 schools and replace them with more profitable games, television money, advertisements, etc, the sooner they can get their balance sheets back in order. The sooner the NCAA goes away, the faster they can eliminate the overhead necessary for compliance nonsense.  If the P5 schools think they can do this by next year, you are 100% correct.

 

In the end, G5 schools really need to get together and decide how they can best use their athletic departments to shine a positive light on their schools. I'm hoping they have the sense to bring in other people to think about that for them.

I hope so, too.  however, the disfunction and the greed in the NCAA and the Power 5 had been laid bare over the last few weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we talk about the current situation and the future of football, Jo Jo Natson just finished up his first practice with the Cleveland Browns. A lot of people are saying he could make the team as a return specialist, if not a backup WR.

 

Welcome back to NEOhio!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spin said:

As we talk about the current situation and the future of football, Jo Jo Natson just finished up his first practice with the Cleveland Browns. A lot of people are saying he could make the team as a return specialist, if not a backup WR.

 

Welcome back to NEOhio!!!

His biggest competition is likely Donovan Peoples-Jones (returner) and Khaderal Hodge (primarily ST specialist who Jojo actually beat out in LA last year). I believe he actually got a few reps with the 1st team yesterday.

 

In other news - the MAC is already having discussions for the spring. Props to them as they seem to be leading the way on that rather than waiting around until the last minute like everybody did this time.

 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LZIp said:

 

 

If you can't do something right, don't do anything at all. In my opinion, have a minimum of 10 games or don't have any at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January-March was actually debated as an option? Maybe if they hold the games in the Stiles Center, but that's the only way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

January-March was actually debated as an option? Maybe if they hold the games in the Stiles Center, but that's the only way.

I will sit through the games in the dead of Winter.  I was at the Thanksgiving Snow Bowl!! and the Pitt game in the torrential rain and that one during the polar vortex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I will sit through the games...  I was at.. the Pitt game in the torrential rain...

The Pitt game years ago at old Pitt Stadium, before Heinz Field?  If so, I was there too.  I took a handful of friends with me hoping for a fun day.  That day sucked. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The Pitt game years ago at old Pitt Stadium, before Heinz Field?  If so, I was there too.  I took a handful of friends with me hoping for a fun day.  That day sucked. Lol.

I think there was also one at Infocision when the rain was coming down sideways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

January-March was actually debated as an option?

 

I spent several January Sundays at Cleveland Municiple in zero weather and lake effect snow, watching playoff games back in the day. I can do it in Akron.

 

But then again, playoffs. As in, a team worth watching in the "frozen tundra"...

Edited by Spin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LZIp said:

His biggest competition is likely Donovan Peoples-Jones (returner) and Khaderal Hodge (primarily ST specialist who Jojo actually beat out in LA last year). I believe he actually got a few reps with the 1st team yesterday.

 

If he makes the team, that would be as many as 4  Zips in the NFL, 2 in MLB, and 13 in MLS, and 1 in EPL, if I'm counting everybody whose active.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

January-March was actually debated as an option? Maybe if they hold the games in the Stiles Center, but that's the only way.

I can see the MACtion now. One team lines up to kick a last second FG to win the game from 22 yards straight away. MAC kicker misses the easy FG so wide right he misses the net that is home to the three yellow painted lines signifying where the goal post is entirely.....on a Tuesday night........at midnight.....in mid January......during a blizzard.

 

Did anyone really think that if you got a group of MAC athletic directors in a room to make a big decision that it couldn't get worse than it already is?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Governor just said fall sports are a go in Ohio

But only spectators can be immediate family or special person to player/ band member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...