One Door Closes, Another One Opens

GP1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Never said anything about wanting to 'eliminate' football. Have said that over and over. And yes, I was a commuter back in the early 1970's. And yes I went to football and B.ball games on my student ID.  Not because I was paying the fees,but because I loved watching football and basketball. I paid my own parking fees too. And yes the entire University is in financial trouble. But no, the target is not just the athletic department. The administration is making drastic 'cuts' on the academic side as we write. How will that affect the viability of the University in the future. Stay tuned.

If the money from the 'sacrifice' games in football or basketball games for that matter put the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT on the positive side of the financial ledger we would have been there long ago. We are not there. Why? Someone please tell me.

The reason we are not there is because we are in a conference.

If we were not in a conference, each season we could schedule 12 sacrifice football games and scads of sacrifice bball games.

If it's good for BYU, it has to be good for us.

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2020 at 3:16 PM, GP1 said:

The P5 schools should begin to abandon the NCAA. The timing is right. It will be the end of the NCAA as it is now because they are almost entirely funded by March Madness. 

A stripped down version of the NCAA could be a good governing body for what is left. It could facilitate competition and inter conference agreements without all of the petty nonsense like regulating whether or not players can have jobs. 

The Knight Commission report recommends NCAA Division I governance be reorganized around men’s basketball and provide a reset opportunity for FBS programs that can no longer afford to compete in football.

Edited by Sergeant Zip

54 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

The Knight Commission report recommends NCAA Division I governance be reorganized around men’s basketball and provide a reset opportunity for FBS programs that can no longer afford to compete in football.

Thanks for posting this Sergeant Zip. I would have never found the article without your post. I had no idea the NCAA was taking advice from ZipsNation.org....but whatever it takes.

For once, the NCAA may be on the verge of something that makes complete sense. I would hope that those of us who are G5 fans wouldn't look at this as a negative. The reality of the current situation is too great to pretend that we can just continue on as is with the dream of one day having all of the resources of the P5 conferences. That ship has sailed. We can be great in our own way. Let's do that.

The first step on the journey for the NCAA should be firing Mark Emmert. He is a paper pushing fool stuck in an era long past.

BTW, does anyone know where I can send a bill for my advice to the NCAA?

58 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Thanks for posting this Sergeant Zip. I would have never found the article without your post. I had no idea the NCAA was taking advice from ZipsNation.org....but whatever it takes.

For once, the NCAA may be on the verge of something that makes complete sense. I would hope that those of us who are G5 fans wouldn't look at this as a negative. The reality of the current situation is too great to pretend that we can just continue on as is with the dream of one day having all of the resources of the P5 conferences. That ship has sailed. We can be great in our own way. Let's do that.

The first step on the journey for the NCAA should be firing Mark Emmert. He is a paper pushing fool stuck in an era long past.

BTW, does anyone know where I can send a bill for my advice to the NCAA?

National Office

The National Collegiate Athletic Association
700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
Phone: 317-917-6222
Fax: 317-917-6888

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Early this AM heard Phil Steele talking about this on one of the local sports talk shows. On the football side sounds like what most people already knew. The P5 schools call the shots in football. They haven't needed the NCAA for a long time. If those schools go off on their own it may help the Akron's of the world. They can play at their own level. Reorganize conferences. Maybe set up a legitimate playoff system amongst conferences of similar competitive levels. Lets see what the big boys do. Lets see what schools survive the current situation.

13 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Early this AM heard Phil Steele talking about this on one of the local sports talk shows. On the football side sounds like what most people already knew. The P5 schools call the shots in football. They haven't needed the NCAA for a long time. If those schools go off on their own it may help the Akron's of the world. They can play at their own level. Reorganize conferences. Maybe set up a legitimate playoff system amongst conferences of similar competitive levels. Lets see what the big boys do. Lets see what schools survive the current situation.

I agree with everything you said. In addition, schools like ours can do even better. We can make college athletics something that binds students, alumni, fans and the greater community to the school.

My Initial thoughts:

1) Would the CFP Administration LLC  be willing to give up that revenue/control, or would they even have a choice?

2) Maybe i missed it, but I still don't understand how we got here to being with. Meaning, why was there never a FBS championship regulated by the NCAA? 

3) My interpretations of the solutions being suggested are either drop to FCS, which we can already do in current state, or join the new NCFA (if we meet criteria) and maybe get a little more of the CFP money and potentially look at limiting the out of control spending. I don't see the top 20 or so programs voting to give the G5 teams more money or "leveling the playing field", so we would really be counting on all the regular members of the P5 to vote in our interest I'd think. I was doing some reading on Reddit the other day and even many P5 fans are fed up with the current format as they also don't see themselves as having a legitimate chance of making the playoff in most years or have their season "matter" if they aren't playing in it.  Here is a more recent thread regurgitating the same thoughts: https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/k6l35d/stanz_kirk_herbstreit_says_hes_worried_about_the/

If we can get to a solution where we financially benefit and at least have the G5 with us, i'm okay with it. If we get to a solution where maybe the top 30 programs do their own thing and everyone else is together, i'm okay with it assuming we financially benefit. If we drop down to FCS/are in a similar or worse spot financially, then it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by LZIp

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

2) Meaning, why was there never a FBS championship regulated by the NCAA? 

The NCAA is a membership organization and the members did not want it.

Edited by GP1

Everyone is avoiding the one big reason to stay status quo. The payday games and weeknight games that generate the revenue ALL Zips sports rely on to stay on the field.

I’ve yet to hear a single person prove that wrong, or come up with another source of income at least as good...

If we drop down, the objective is to win a conference championship. If we stay FBS, the objective is to win a conference championship and pay a big chunk of the bills of the precious sports that the football haters on this forum love. 

No non-football fan wants to acknowledge this simple fact, or come up with the digits those games they criticize every week.

Edited by Spin

2 hours ago, Spin said:

ive yet to hear a simhle person prove that wrong, or come up with another source of income at least as good...

I have one better. The taxpayers of Ohio. Back out ESPN and P5 games and it's around two million per school. Six mac schools in ohio and that's 12 million dollars. Around one dollar per ohio citizen.