season ticket renewal

1981 grad

With fall sports being cancelled today by the MAC and winter sports including basketball being in limbo with no end in sight to this pandemic, how many fans are going to renew their season tickets.  My buddy just told me he is not renewing because of the pandemic.  It is time for our Athletics Dept to send out a letter asking basketball season ticket holders to put down a minimal refundable deposit ($50?) to hold their season tickets until we know whether the season will take place.    

They should consider modeling something like what Wake Forest did with football tickets. I've paid for my tickets, parking pass and required Deacon Club donation. I don't care about the Deacon Club donation as it is a charitable donation and not much money compared tickets and parking pass. 

Exactly how it will work is unknown, but basically my tickets and parking pass money will be "refunded". I can ask for the money back right now and get a check.  Or I can buy single game tickets and pay out of my "bank" at the week of the game. All tickets are electronic. Let's say I have 6 home games and spend $200 per game for two tickets for easy math. If they only play 3 games and the season is cancelled, I would get back $600.  If I only go to one game and all were played, I would get $1,000 back. 

This is a good way to treat people during uncertain times. It creates a good fan experience even when they may not feel comfortable going to a game. People just have to be more engaged when games are coming up if they want to go. 

The only thing that would make me upset is if my seats were drastically different. I have 48 yard line seats 2/3rd up the Wake side. The advantage is they are always in the shade because of the giant pressbox. I understand they may be different, but I do think being a 12 year season ticket holder should mean something. 

Akron just needs to provide something people will understand during difficult times. Fans need to show some understanding as well and not act like babies if they don't get every last thing they want. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...