FBS Dominoes

Zipmeister

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Whether or not one believes the science, these conferences have made it crystal clear (although, belatedly and in a disjointed manner) that there will be no athletics until COVID is under control.  

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Nebraska bailing out on Big Ten may be more than bluster

Could the Huskers be headed back to the Big 12? 

This is utter chaos and no way to "run a railroad."  It's either safe to play or it isn't.  With all the millions and millions at stake, the idea that the Big Ten or Pac 10 jumped the gun or gave up too soon is ludicrous.  But this falls on the NCAA for not having cohesive leadership.  Then you have all these people with financial interests or political interests in keeping the season alive chiming in with their literal two cents and it's just a toxic stew.  

https://pac-12.com/article/2020/08/11/pac-12-conference-postpones-all-sport-competitions-through-end-calendar-year

I for one am disappointed and confused about all of this.  Embedded in this article is a link to a Zoom discussion of the parties involved in making the PAC 10 decision.  It's very informative and clarified some issues for me. 

Edited by NWAkron

The current plan for Iowa State is 50% capacity in the stadium.  They only sold season ticket renewals.  No new season tickets and no single game tickets.  Lots of COVID-19 mitigation efforts will be in place, but it is still "enter at your own risk."  You can sit in your ticketed location or move to areas that are more open.  All I've heard about tailgating is that there will be "extra spacing" (which I take to mean leaving a space between cars).  Who knows what will actually happen?  

P.S.  It is very fun to watch the Hokeyes and the Fuskers, our B10 neighbors, getting so jealous of us in the Big 12.  

• Like 1

I am curious about the criteria that has been used by the conferences to determine if they will play football this fall or not.  I find it hard to believe that it is reported that some conferences are nearly unanimous in voting to shut down the season, where some conferences are steadfast in playing.  I would think that all conferences would have access to the same medical information.  Then, how are such different decisions made in determining if football is played this fall?

6 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I understand that money is a difference between the MAC and Big 10.  There should not be a difference between the Big 10 and the other Power 5 conferences that are currently planning on playing this fall.

I agree with you.  The science is the science.  I posted a link yesterday that has a good discussion with Pac  10 officials regarding why they made their decision.  Considering the huge amount of $ involved, I doubt the Big 10 and PAC 10 didn't look at every option available before cancelling.  I read Cykron's post and that's what I figured the schools would do:  limit fans and tailgating, etc.  However, ultimately that becomes unworkable and the safety of the players is paramount.  From following this issue on twitter and in the news,  I'm realizing that there are many different interests who are going to lose $ if there is no college football.  It could be the beer industry, sports agents, restaurants, the families of the top players, and whoever else profits from the game and has their own agenda which isn't the safety of the players.  The presidents, AD's, and the conference commissioners have to put all those competing agendas aside and listen to their medical team.  The medical experts don't have an agenda.  They gain nothing or lose nothing from a season.  The highly paid coaches need to be seen advocating for their players and if that means pushing for play they will.  And it was easy for the incoming OSU  president to say she supports playing football.  What confuses me is that the other conferences apparently have medical experts who have a differing opinion than the big 10 and pac 10.  My thought is that they are for now trying to appease those with agendas until they can't any longer.   Another huge outbreak of COVID and there is no basketball season or March Madness.