FBS Dominoes

Zipmeister

IDK I think the pros have shown that you can play the season with the proper precautions.

And the Mariners showed what happens when you don’t. And the Indians are showing their rogue teammates just what they think of their carelessness.

I’d rather have the players busy with sports and class, on campus (open or not) and staying in the “bubble”. You turn them loose between now and spring football season, they’re a heck of a lot more likely to put themselves at risk.

Edited by Spin

17 minutes ago, Spin said:

IDK I think the pros have shown that you can play the season with the proper precautions.

And the Mariners showed what happens when you don’t. And the Indians are showing their rogue teammates just what they think of their carelessness.

I’d rather have the players busy with sports and class, on campus (open or not) and staying in the “bubble”. You turn them loose between now and spring football season, they’re a heck of a lot more likely to put themselves at risk.

Putting student athletes in a bubble isn't going to work.  Ohio State MIGHT be able to swing that but a school like Rutgers won't do it.  The MAC certainly couldn't justify the cost.  and at that point the conferences and schools would basically be admitting that these unpaid athletes are solely there to play sports and make $ for the schools.  Put all the Akron players in Quaker Square.  Bus them there and back.  Take away their cars.  Feed them.  Convert the old ballrooms into study areas.  Meanwhile all the other students are able to move around campus.  Put the soccer players in a bubble?  The swim team?  I've thought through all these ideas, too.  Basically, it comes back to ... if you have to do all of this then they probably shouldn't be playing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spin said:

The problem isn't so much about their risk, it's the vulnerable who could be exposed to them.  That being said, per the article I previously posted it appears that some of these "healthy" kids could be coming down with myocarditis as a result of the virus.  Certainly no easy answers.

Spring isn't a great option either per Urban Meyer-

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-no-chance-spring-222112075.html

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The problem isn't so much about their risk, it's the vulnerable who could be exposed to them.  That being said, per the article I previously posted it appears that some of these "healthy" kids could be coming down with myocarditis as a result of the virus.  Certainly no easy answers.

Spring isn't a great option either per Urban Meyer-

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-no-chance-spring-222112075.html

I saw an article in which the Purdue coach lays out a plan for Spring football.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-ten-football-coach-has-comprehensive-proposal-for-spring-season/ar-BB17Vlqv

Edited by NWAkron

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

I am curious about the criteria that has been used by the conferences to determine if they will play football this fall or not.  I find it hard to believe that it is reported that some conferences are nearly unanimous in voting to shut down the season, where some conferences are steadfast in playing.  I would think that all conferences would have access to the same medical information.  Then, how are such different decisions made in determining if football is played this fall?

I've always said that the farther south I go, the smarter I get.

Alabama, Mississippi and Texas have 3 of the highest 5 COVID infection rates in the country.

Come on Bubba, let's play us some football.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Spin said:

Looks like the only plan that is REALLY working so far is the so called 'bubble'. The NHL and NBA have sequestered all players and teams in very limited locations. They are however reportedly spending millions of dollars to do so. NHL was smart to go to Canada. But,those are professionals not college 'students'. I suppose that if universities could 'sequester' athletes when the attend classes and play sports it might work. But,somebody else mentioned it earlier. If the schools are just using them to play sports and not requiring them to be enrolled for classwork then they are not student/athletes. Besides the cost of doing what the NHL and NBA are doing would be way beyond the financial abilities of all but a small number of schools.

By the way the NHL playoffs have been great.

6 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Looks like the only plan that is REALLY working so far is the so called 'bubble'. The NHL and NBA have sequestered all players and teams in very limited locations. They are however reportedly spending millions of dollars to do so. NHL was smart to go to Canada. But,those are professionals not college 'students'. I suppose that if universities could 'sequester' athletes when the attend classes and play sports it might work. But,somebody else mentioned it earlier. If the schools are just using them to play sports and not requiring them to be enrolled for classwork then they are not student/athletes. Besides the cost of doing what the NHL and NBA are doing would be way beyond the financial abilities of all but a small number of schools.

By the way the NHL playoffs have been great.

You also have to factor in roster size. The NBA has 15 man rosters and the NHL has 20 man rosters. An FBS school between scholarship and walk-ons would be like 100. Part of why I feel the NFL will have trouble containing it. 

My point is if 50% of the classes are live, there’s a good chance the athletes are not going to be able to take all their classes in a dorm or study room. 

And there’s going to be other students on campus now, as of right now.

47 minutes ago, Spin said:

My point is if 50% of the classes are live, there’s a good chance the athletes are not going to be able to take all their classes in a dorm or study room. 

And there’s going to be other students on campus now, as of right now.

I knew what you meant.   Too many moving parts all to make $$ off the athletes.   

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Southern Conference cancels (Arths old home).  9 players on Oklahomas team test +.  The NCAA needs to find a way to shut this down or basketball will be gone, too.

Try to remain calm. All the doctors at the NCAA are working full time to shut this down.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Jerry Brewer of the Washington Post wrote this.  It may be behind a paywall but I will provide link and a few thoughts he shared in his long column.  It's better to read the entire column and a few others he wrote on the topic.  I'm not taking a side but found his views insightful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/15/college-footballs-con-has-been-laid-bare-by-coronavirus-crisis/

"It is futile to hang morality in college football’s closet. Don’t bother trying. The integrity of the sport is so compromised that even a perceived noble gesture during this pandemic serves as little more than a well-stitched mask to preserve the con of amateurism.

At the end of a week that featured a historic rupturing of the sport, the Big Ten and Pac-12 may appear as the foremost careful and concerned conferences, while the rest of the Power Five looks daring, reckless or worse. But if trying to salvage college football is akin to guiding a yacht through treacherous waters, all factions should unite around one depressing thought: The ship is sinking.

That’s because honest maintenance has been neglected for a while. Some can jump on lifeboats and get out early. Some can play their music louder and enjoy themselves for as long as possible. But this thing is going to submerge, by the force of the relentless novel coronavirus or by the will of enlightened players and others who have turned crisis into clarity about a system of exploitation."

"Two of the sport’s most prestigious conferences just opted out on the advice of their medical advisers, fearing covid-19’s link to the heart condition myocarditis. And SEC coaches are flustered because they need to know — right now — how they got Arkansas and Mississippi State or Alabama and LSU as the additional teams on a schedule that still qualifies, despite their insistence on playing, as more of a suggestion than a stone-cold reality.

This is why they make the big bucks — and most don’t offer to take pay cuts to help their struggling athletic departments.

With the nation still struggling to contain the coronavirus, with schools reopening in some communities and autumn on the horizon, it figures to get increasingly difficult for colleges to play football and other sports this fall. But go ahead and argue about scheduling."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:52 AM, Cykron said:

The current plan for Iowa State is 50% capacity in the stadium.  They only sold season ticket renewals.  No new season tickets and no single game tickets.  Lots of COVID-19 mitigation efforts will be in place, but it is still "enter at your own risk."  You can sit in your ticketed location or move to areas that are more open.  All I've heard about tailgating is that there will be "extra spacing" (which I take to mean leaving a space between cars).  Who knows what will actually happen?  

P.S.  It is very fun to watch the Hokeyes and the Fuskers, our B10 neighbors, getting so jealous of us in the Big 12.  

Today's game reminded me of the cyclones of old.

• Sad 1