2021 Zips soccer recruits

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200904/copley-senior-sam-harter-excited-about-opportunity-to-play-on-university-of-akron-menrsquos-soccer-team

Sam Harter of Copley (yes, he has a very talented left footed brother ?  ).....will be playing soccer for the zips in the fall of 2021.

Welcome, Sam !!!   Go, Zips

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2016 at 8:52 PM, TennZip said:

the 2016 season hasn't even started and commitments for 2017 have already started

Top drawer soccer shows young Mr. Kamal as a midfielder from Carbondale, Illinois.

The SLSG abbreviation stands for a St. Louis team.

Top drawer soccer also shows midfielder Daniel Strachan from Lakewood, OH as being a zip 2017 recruit

Someone explain how he committed in 2017 and now in 2021?

54 minutes ago, JZIP said:

Someone explain how he committed in 2017 and now in 2021?

Wan Kuzain (brother of the newest recruit...Wan Kuzri)...committed for 2017...but he never came...

He instead decided for the Sporting KC USL team

Wan Kuzain eventually advanced to the MLS team but did not play much.

Sporting KC released the older brother after the 2020 season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

Wan Kuzain (brother of the newest recruit...Wan Kuzri)...committed for 2017...but he never came...

He instead decided for the Sporting KC USL team

Wan Kuzain eventually advanced to the MLS team but did not play much.

Sporting KC released the older brother after the 2020 season

I bet Wan Kuzri shows up in Akron for training.  A College Degree is still good to have.

I know UA has cut back significantly on communications staff, but it sure would be nice to get an official announcement of both the 2020 and 2021 Men's Soccer recruiting classes. WMU just identified their 2021 recruits via Twitter 2 days ago. Those who have committed to Zips Men's Soccer deserve to have their commitments in the spotlight and to be officially introduced to ZipsNation.

Just another example of President Miller's unimpressive leadership. Communications and perception are always critical.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I know UA has cut back significantly on communications staff, but it sure would be nice to get an official announcement of both the 2020 and 2021 Men's Soccer recruiting classes. WMU just identified their 2021 recruits via Twitter 2 days ago. Those who have committed to Zips Men's Soccer deserve to have their commitments in the spotlight and to be officially introduced to ZipsNation.

Just another example of President Miller's unimpressive leadership. Communications and perception are always critical.

AMEN !!!!!!

the 2020 soccer recruits that came to Akron in August 2020.......should have had their accomplishments listed ......4 to 5 months ago.

I always enjoy reading Coach Embick's comments about each player.

The Athletic department ....under the leadership of Williams and Van Horne....must be too busy  celebrating their 1 gridiron win in the last 18 games.

The communications dept....was able to do a news release last week on the seventeen 2021 gridiron signees

but soccer fans have not seen a 2020 recruiting official announcement for Jason Shokalook, Damon Williams, Paul Jones, Nick Scott , Josue (Josh) Hangi, ...and possibly our starting goal keeper in the spring...Transfer Will Meyer

These are top notch players.....they deserve recognition from the sports information department (communications)

If I am a potential recruit, I would want to be recognized and celebrated......as I begin my college career.

To add to Zip_ME87's point about WMU, our MAC foe added 10 new players for fall 2020....they did 3 separate press releases celebrating these signings...5 were announced on 1/13/20 ; 3 were announced on 4/13/20 and 2 were published on their soccer web site on 5/18/20.

WMU does 3 press releases on their freshman recruits  soccer for 2020.....Akron does 0.......?????

I realize that the zips athletics communications used to be larger...but I am sure that WMU also had cuts in their athletic dept.

zips soccer fans deserve better from the leadership of Palchick, Williams and Van Horne

ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS

Sean Palchick    Associate Director (Football, WBB, M/W Soccer, Track and Field/XC, Lacrosse, Softball)(330) 972-2677spalchick@uakron.edu

Brian Dennison   Assistant Director (Football, MBB, Golf, Baseball, Swimming, Volleyball)(330) 972-6292bld2@uakron.edu

• Like 2

The fault could be on the coaching staff rather than the sports communications staff. The university has posted announcements not only for football but also most other teams. I know they have announced 2021 signings for men and women’s basketball, volleyball, women’s soccer, softball, lacrosse, and swimming/diving. I believe several of the 2021 soccer recruits will enroll next month. Given that the university has found the time to put out publicity for most of the teams,  I doubt they would fail to do so for men’s soccer if they had the information and the coaches permission to send it out. I think I remember Wyatt Webb wanted to keep recruits “under wraps” until forced to reveal them.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, adzip said:

I think I remember Wyatt Webb wanted to keep recruits “under wraps” until forced to reveal them.

Interesting. I don't get the point of keeping them "under wraps" once letters of intent are signed. I would think there really isn't much secrecy within coaching circles. [Not applicable to Wyatt Webb's days ... but less so now with social media.] Seems like the student athletes should be introduced to the fans and vice versa...helps build the interest of the "casual" fan. I miss the old "meet the team events". I know that won't happen with COVID ongoing,  but I'd love to see them come back when we get beyond this pandemic.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, adzip said:

I believe several of the 2021 soccer recruits will enroll next month. 

You must really be in the know....to say that several of the 2021 soccer recruits will enroll next month.  Several....to me....means 3 or more.  To my knowledge, there are only two 2021 recruits that we know about.....Sam Harter and Wan Kuzri Wan Kamal.   Top Drawer Soccer also only knows of those 2 recruits.

I agree with Zip_ME87 comment above....about building the interest of the "casual" fan.   We have seen the attendance for zip soccer home games decline over the past 5 to 7 years.   Announcements about the players....and why they chose Akron....should build interest in the program.

If you are correct that the lack of an announcement is due to the soccer coaches, I do not agree with the decision.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Akron announces 10 new players for Spring, 2021, including freshmen and transfers. Noteworthy is that the list includes no international players. Perhaps showing the impact of the pandemic and perhaps fewer recruiting trip dollars.

Edited by adzip
Missing word
  • Like 2

of the 10 new players,  Josh Hangi, Paul Jones,  Damon Williams, Nick Scott, Jason Shokalook, and Will Meyer were on campus in the fall.

Dyson Clapier was supposed to arrive in the fall....but elected to spend time with Portland Timbers 2 in the fall.   Akron is known for developing midfielders.   It is very nice to get a midfielder from the Timbers academy.

Sam Harter had previously been announced as a fall 2021 recruit.   Always good to get a talented player in early and he will be available for whatever games are played in the spring.

I am really excited to read about Tonny Temple, a transfer from NC State.   Getting a former top 50 top drawer soccer recruit....is exciting....

I am looking forward to watching forward Jason Shokalook play for the zips in the spring.  Tonny Temple and Jason Shokalook should be an exciting and dangerous pair up front.

Embick on Temple – "Tonny is transferring to us after a year at NC state. We tried to get him coming out of high school and are excited he is coming to us now. A winger with pace and power, he is another player that is dangerous every time he has the ball in the final third. He can open up the game for us and makes our attack even more dangerous."
 was rated by TopDrawerSoccer.com as a four-star forward and the No. 17 forward in the nation as well as ranking No. 43 in the IMG Academy rankings. 

defender Nate Metsack is a new name to me....I will try to do a little research.

finally, thank you to the Akron sports information department and the soccer coaches for sharing this information with the zips soccer fans.....

Always exciting to read Coach Embick's comments.

• Like 2

https://gozips.com/documents/2021/1/11//akron_msoc2021.pdf?id=15065

spring roster....attached in article

there is another topic on this board...that talks about a fall 2020 roster....

that topic shows 28 players on the fall roster

the roster above...has those same 28 players....and adds Mr. Clapier, Mr. Metsack, Mr. Temple and Mr. Harter

Welcome to all of the new Zips....Go, Zips

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Sam Harter for being names to the Beacon Journal boys soccer all star team

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/02/14/beacon-journal-boys-soccer-all-star-team-features-multiple-players-hudson-copley-revere/6720282002/

Harter, a University of Akron men's soccer commit, was named the SLAC Player of the Year in 2020. He also was selected to the Division I All-Ohio second team as a senior midfielder, and was a first-team All-District and first team All-SLAC choice in each of the past three seasons.

Harter finished his four-year varsity career with 29 goals and 22 assists at Copley.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Top Drawer soccer is now showing that the zips have added a 4 star recruit from the Philadelphia Union Academy

Mitchell Budler, a goal keeper 

Top Drawer soccer has him ranked as the 38th best player in the class of 2021

The class of 2021 includes Giovanni Reyna.  of Top Drawer soccer's top 25, 23 of them are going pro

Mitchell Budler is currently the 9th highest rated player...that has announced plans to attend college in fall 2021

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/men/akron/clgid-438/tab-commitments#tabs

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/mitchell-budler/pid-107391

I believe that Mitchell Budler is in the middle of the 5 players shown in the tweet

Welcome to the Zips, Mitchell Budler !!!

• Thanks 2

To have all of the new incoming players in one thread, below is the list of transfers coming to Akron

NCAA Division I Transfer Tracker

Player                                   Former School                    New School

F Malik Henry                    North Carolina                     Akron

M Ryan Kingsford            Harcum College                   Akron

D William Portman          Louisville                              Akron

F Samuel George             Ottawa (Ariz.)                     Akron

M Renato Kauzlaric        Massachusetts-Lowell      Akron 

D Tobias Bak                   Muskegon Community College     Akron 

a little bit of research...always good to know where our future players are from

Malik Henry.....Hamilton, Ontario Canda

Ryan Kingsford....Herne Bay, England

William Portman....Sheffield, England

Samuel George.....Sittingbourne, England

Renato Kauzlaric....Zagreb, Croatia

Tobias Bak,......Taastrup, Denmark

Welcome to the zips......all 6 of you....

looking forward to a great season in 2021

• Thanks 3