Zips Football Season 2020

NWAkron

This decision was very calculated. Calculated in the way that the conference leadership looked at all of the decisions other conferences made this year and supplied an answer to a very basic question, "How stupid can we make ourselves look?".

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GP1 said:

This decision was very calculated. Calculated in the way that the conference leadership looked at all of the decisions other conferences made this year and supplied an answer to a very basic question, "How stupid can we make ourselves 

Project much?

Edited by NWAkron

I see Zipsnation is pumped for the return of Zips football!

I'm setting the over/under at 0.5 games. Most winnable offhand probably will be BG. OH returns a lot, but did lose their QB, so there may be a chance there considering how important that piece is and was for them.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I'll be more excited when we see the schedule.

I'm also bummed I won't be able to attend any games.

Then again, by November the weather can start getting nasty around here anyway ?‍♂️

[Edit]: Also, still a little perturbed we cancelled in the first place and thus have no games during the beautiful September & October months.  The MAC routinely causes annoyance and frustration.  Also, it appears the first game is on a Wednesday ?

Edited by Blue & Gold

45 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'll be more excited when we see the schedule.

I'm also bummed I won't be able to attend any games.

Then again, by November the weather can start getting nasty around here anyway ?‍♂️

[Edit]: Also, still a little perturbed we cancelled in the first place and thus have no games during the beautiful September & October months.  The MAC routinely causes annoyance and frustration.  Also, it appears the first game is on a Wednesday ?

I'd almost bet all will be on the weekdays this year. More exposure and no fans, it just makes sense.

• Like 1

Take your zinc sups.  I take 50 mg of zinc post-workout (fights inflammation & boosts immune system - which takes a hit when lifting) and also take a ZMA (zinc & magnesium combo) at night containing another 30 mg of zinc.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/taking-one-supplement-could-save-094723158.html

15 hours ago, NWAkron said:

A new day.  6 game season beginning 11/4 with a conference championship.   Mid Week #MACtion.  Miami at home.   Kent away?

Is there an 'official' schedule out yet? Or, are we still waiting?  No fans. Wonder which network might pick up some of these games? Since it looks like week nights maybe one of the ESPN clones. Fox Sports? NBCSN? 

6 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Sounds like a divisional round robin + 1 crossover. We're probably going to need a lot of computing power to sort out the MACC tiebreakers with the short season.

There will be no tiebreakers. In case of a tie all teams in the tie will participate in the championship game. For example, say 3  teams end up tied in the east division and 2 in the west. East team A will play the 1st and 4th quarter of the championship game, Team B will play the 2nd quarter and Team C will play the 3rd quarter. Team A from the west will play in the 1st and 3rd quarters while Team B will play in the 2nd and 4th quarters. The seeding for A, B and C status will be determined just prior to the championship game by a best of three rock. paper, scissors game.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

There will be no tiebreakers. In case of a tie all teams in the tie will participate in the championship game. For example, say 3  teams end up tied in the east division and 2 in the west. East team A will play the 1st and 4th quarter of the championship game, Team B will play the 2nd quarter and Team C will play the 3rd quarter. Team A from the west will play in the 1st and 3rd quarters while Team B will play in the 2nd and 4th quarters. The seeding for A, B and C status will be determined just prior to the championship game by a best of three rock. paper, scissors game.

I want you to know that if you ever lose your job, with ideas like this, you are MAC Athletic Director material. 

I'd say MAC Commissioner, but you left out the game being played at 8 AM eastern on Christmas morning in Fairbanks, Alaska. Keep working, you have a lot of potential. 

• Haha 2

If Zipmeister does become commissioner He will undoubtedly do a better job than Steinbrecher and the idiots who pass as presidents. Why take two weeks to decide to resume play only to determine that play would begin five weeks later. Ryan Day at OSU said he only needed three weeks to prepare his team to play, but the MAC needs to give its members five weeks thus losing all the better weather weeks in a normal schedule. Doesn't anyone recall that this team has been practicing or training 12 hours a week, altho' w/o pads and hitting. The basic playbook is in. Lifting has been continuous, so has conditioning. Now we wait five weeks for a whole six games, with no makeup dates, in traditionally bad weather in the Midwest. If you really want to play for something give each team a final game like the Big Ten, such as 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc.

If we are going after the coveted Tuesday and Wednesday night time slots in cold, wet weather, with no fans, we got what we wanted because no other self-respecting conference wanted them. Brilliant move. The MAC has self-certified it is masquerading as a legitimate conference only to confirm it is a joke.

Sheeesh! Commissioner Meister ...... it has a good ring to it.

• Like 2

Dr. Steinbrecher proves yet again he is incapable of leading the MAC competently. He received good press and high praise when he was at the forefront of cancelling the conference basketball tournament, and figured he'd have similar respect jumping the gun on cancelling the football season. Then, when every other conference found their cajones to actually play football, Steinbrecher laid an egg and was the LAST conference to come back. 

The responses to the MAC coming back prove how far back in the Stone Ages the conference is. People are mockingly excited for "early week #MACtion". They are holding onto a nearly decade-old hashtag that became prominent during the height of Twitter, but has yet to progress with the times in marketing. They missed the bus on conference realignment to add any significant schools (or any schools at all) to grow the conference. They have become synonymous with early-week, lower-level football as a social media joke with empty stadiums on weekday nights. 

The fact that this was unanimous among University ADs and Presidents makes me believe the TV deal with ESPN/CBSSports was the driving force, so as long as the University isn't losing more money, I'm ok with it, but this is hardly a football season. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, ZippyRulz said:

No general public attendance or tailgating will be allowed at games. No other fall sports.

I understand social distancing and limiting the volume and location in the stadium of fans but not sure I understand there being no fans admitted at all. Other conferences are limiting their numbers and even Ohio high schools are allowing 15% of stadium capacity. If a Zips game at Infocision reached 15% capacity wouldn’t that be close to the usual in-game game day attendance we are used to anyway?

I hope the attendance guidelines are modified a bit although I do agree you don’t want to be rubbing elbows with strangers at any events in 2020.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GJGood said:

I understand social distancing and limiting the volume and location in the stadium of fans but not sure I understand there being no fans admitted at all. Other conferences are limiting their numbers and even Ohio high schools are allowing 15% of stadium capacity. If a Zips game at Infocision reached 15% capacity wouldn’t that be close to the usual in-game game day attendance we are used to anyway?

I hope the attendance guidelines are modified a bit although I do agree you don’t want to be rubbing elbows with strangers at any events in 2020.

The last elbow rubbing I did was at the UA/PCCC basketball game at the JAR.  Sigh.

• Sad 1