Zips Football Season 2020

NWAkron

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

They should allow each player to have 4-5 guests,

each band member to have 2-4 guests,

and then sell a 3-game ticket package (no single game ticket sales) & spread us all out.  The Info is certainly big enough for that focussed demographic to social distance.

That would be more in attendance than a regular Zips Game before the pandemic 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, monrowe said:

This is a problem.Old worn turf is putting UofA an visiting teams at risk of injuries?

Seems like more injuries have been happening with new turf. Have you seen all the injuries that have been happening at MetLife stadium? Seemed like someone was injured every few plays last night. Also, all those San Francisco 49ers were hurt on that field a few weeks ago.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Seems like more injuries have been happening with new turf. Have you seen all the injuries that have been happening at MetLife stadium? Seemed like someone was injured every few plays last night. Also, all those San Francisco 49ers were hurt on that field a few weeks ago.

Sorry, didn't mean to attach the laughing emoji to your post. It made me look silly and insensitive. 

On 10/2/2020 at 12:55 PM, blueandgold said:

So plant grass.The Giants and Zips stadium’s are about the same age. although I doubt the giants don’t have the money to replace turf when needed?

4 hours ago, monrowe said:

So plant grass.The Giants and Zips stadium’s are about the same age. although I doubt the giants don’t have the money to replace turf when needed?

You are going to make 72 Roo cry because your post will remind him of the Rubber Bowl before artificial turf.

With both UA and high schools wearing out the grass, the middle of the field became devoid of vegitation and after a rain quicksand. I used to really enjoy watching my high school band attempt to march through the mess. 

Well, I cannot intelligently discuss our first opponent, so I'll jot down what I think the starting offense will look like (note: except for X & Bryce Petersen, I'm simply talking out my @$$ concerning the OL).

Our OL has the potential of being huge... but awfully young.  Many of these guys haven't played a snap of D-1 ball before, so even though I think there's potential there, my expectations are low.

RT: Owen Murphy (6-6, 275, R-Fr.)

RG: Jordan Daniels (6-5, 300 R-Fr.)

C : Bryce Petersen (6-2, 280 Sr.)

LG: Caleb Herring (6-7, 320 R-Fr.)

LT: Xavior Gray (6-9, 300 R-Fr.)

tenor-51150209.gif

Huge... but inexperienced.  But I'm projecting a lot of new, young starters this year simply by considering how poorly the OL performed last season.

No idea what our transfer RB's (Dollard & Gest) are bringing to the table but, just like the OL, they simply have to be better than what we saw last year.  

I'll go with Teon Dollard (5-11, 200 Jr.) as the starter and Cole Gest (5-9, 195 R-Sr.) as the #2.

Kato (Sr.) will definitely be the #1 QB with Zach Gibson (R-Fr.) as the backup.

[Even after the departure of Jonah Morris], We're [still] stacked at WR & TE.

TE: Maverick Wolfley (6-3, 240 R-So.), & Brycen Yarmo (6-5, 250 R-So.)

WR: Julian Hicks (6-3, 200 R-Jr.) & Kevin Walls (6-6, 215 R-Fr.)

WR: Nate Stewart (6-2, 205 R-Sr.) & George Qualls (6-2, 185 R-Jr.)

WR: Jeremiah Knight (5-11, 190 R-Jr.) & Timothy Scippio (6-2, 210 Jr.)

WR: Andre Williams (5-10, 185 R-Sr.) & Michael Mathison (5-10, 160 So.)

This gives our offense a potential 2-deep looking like:

QB: Kato Nelson... Zach Gibson

RB: Teon Dollard... Cole Gest

RT: Owen Murphy... Austin Sample

RG: Jordan Daniels... Hunter Corne

C : Bryce Petersen... Tony Georges

LG: Caleb Herring... Ryan Beckman

LT: Xavior Gray... Vincent Fonte

TE: Maverick Wolfley... Brycen Yard

WR: Julian Hicks... Kevin Walls 

WR: Nate Stewart... George Qualls

WR: Andre Williams... Michael Mathison

WR: Jeremiah Knight... Timothy Scippio

Another player I'm anxious to get a look at is R-Fr WR Kevin Walls.  Kevin stands 6-6 & was all-state in track.  His hudl highlight film was impressive.

And, to nip any tiresome comments in the bud [sigh], yes, there are 12 listed due to the potential TE -v- WR combo.

[Edited after LZip posted about Jonah Morris entering the Transfer Portal.]

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who makes a tiresome comment about your post has to answer to me.

Personally, I like the idea of playing 12 instead eleven if we can get away with it.

I think it would significantly increase our chances of being competitive.

I'm not sure "huge" is the correct descriptor of the Zips offensive line you propose; "average size for a MAC team" would be more accurate.

For example, using data from the two-deep for WMU (our first opponent) the average height and weight of their offensive line are 6'4." and 299.4 pounds, both of which are close to the average height and weight of the five Zips you listed; 6'6" and 295 pounds.

Go Zips.

Edited by Zipmeister

Count me amongst those who favor playing 12 on defense. This is the kind of thinking outside the box that has made America great. I suggest we hide our 12th man as an official. After all, who counts the number of officials on the field. Just imagine, he could line up behind the QB and than sack him right away. BTW, I got this idea by consulting iCoach and Milwee, two giants of the intellect.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Well, I cannot intelligently discuss our first opponent, so I'll jot down what I think the starting offense will look like (note: except for X & Bryce Petersen, I'm simply talking out my @$$ concerning the OL).

Our OL has the potential of being huge... but awfully young.  Many of these guys haven't played a snap of D-1 ball before, so even though I think there's potential there, my expectations are low.

Good stuff B&G. Based on the limited info I've heard/observed, the only change I'd make if I had to make a prediction would be to swap out Herring for redshirt freshman Ryan Beckman. Coaches/players have been mentioning him in interviews. I also saw his getting some reps with the other 4 in one of the videos released. This unit will surely take some lumps in this "season", but should be a group that will grow together and be a real strength of the team in a few years.

I also think Gest may be the starter at RB (at least to start the season) based on what I'm seeing in videos. I'd still expect him and Dollard to split carries unless one really separates themselves from the other though so i'm not sure it really matters.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, Blue & Gold said:

tenor-51150209.gif

Huge... but inexperienced.  But I'm projecting a lot of new, young starters this year simply by considering how poorly the OL performed last season.

No idea what our transfer RB's (Dollard & Gest) are bringing to the table but, just like the OL, they simply have to be better than what we saw last year.  

I'll go with Teon Dollard (5-11, 200 Jr.) as the starter and Cole Gest (5-9, 195 R-Sr.) as the #2.

Kato (Sr.) will definitely be the #1 QB with Zach Gibson (R-Fr.) as the backup.

We're stacked at WR & TE.

TE: Maverick Wolfley (6-3, 240 R-So.), & Brycen Yarmo (6-5, 250 R-So.)

WR: Jonah Morris (6-4, 205 R-Sr.) & Julian Hicks (6-3, 200 R-Jr.) & Kevin Walls (6-6, 215 R-Fr.)

WR: Nate Stewart (6-2, 205 R-Sr.) & George Qualls (6-2, 185 R-Jr.)

WR: Jeremiah Knight (5-11, 190 R-Jr.) & Timothy Scippio (6-2, 210 Jr.)

WR: Andre Williams (5-10, 185 R-Sr.) & Michael Mathison (5-10, 160 So.)

This gives our offense a potential 2-deep looking like:

QB: Kato Nelson... Zach Gibson

RB: Teon Dollard... Cole Gest

RT: Owen Murphy... Austin Sample

RG: Jordan Daniels... Hunter Corne

C : Bryce Petersen... Tony Georges

LG: Caleb Herring... Ryan Beckman

LT: Xavior Gray... Vincent Fonte

TE: Maverick Wolfley... Brycen Yarmo

WR: Jonah Morris... Julian Hicks

WR: Nate Stewart... George Qualls

WR: Andre Williams... Michael Mathison

WR: Jeremiah Knight... Timothy Scippio

Another player I'm anxious to get a look at is R-Fr WR Kevin Walls.  Kevin stands 6-6 & was all-state in track.  His hudl highlight film was impressive.

And, to nip any tiresome comments in the bud [sigh], yes, there are 12 listed due to the potential TE -v- WR combo.

Damnit. Analysis likes this pisses me off. Why? Because it's great, optimistic (we are big at OL and WR) and wasted on a 6 game "season". 

I wonder what wins this season will mean for recruiting in the future. Will recruits take notice or will it be progress and momentum be lost?

z.i.P.S. Very solid overview @Blue & Gold. Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Damnit. Analysis likes this pisses me off. Why? Because it's great, optimistic (we are big at OL and WR) and wasted on a 6 game "season". 

I wonder what wins this season will mean for recruiting in the future. Will recruits take notice or will it be progress and momentum be lost?

z.i.P.S. Very solid overview @Blue & Gold. Thanks for posting!

We just need to win a damn game this season, just 1 to see some damn progress. Unfortunately the tides have turned and now the east is stronger than the west, IMO so it won't be easy.

Anybody who plays this year will not have it count against their eligibility...so everyone gets an extra year. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does here. 85 is the current scholarship max, but that will obviously go up temporarily. How long will it go up for/when will schools have to be back down to 85 is the real question? If it stays at 85 (which it should), there's effectively going to be a whole year of student athletes who lose the chance to play football at the collegiate level, whether its all done in one year or smoothed out over multiple years.