Zips Football Season 2020

NWAkron

14 hours ago, LZIp said:

We just need to win a damn game this season, just 1 to see some damn progress. Unfortunately the tides have turned and now the east is stronger than the west, IMO so it won't be easy.

Anybody who plays this year will not have it count against their eligibility...so everyone gets an extra year. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does here. 85 is the current scholarship max, but that will obviously go up temporarily. How long will it go up for/when will schools have to be back down to 85 is the real question? If it stays at 85 (which it should), there's effectively going to be a whole year of student athletes who lose the chance to play football at the collegiate level, whether its all done in one year or smoothed out over multiple years.

The tide must have turned while I wasn't looking.

What leads you to conclude that the MAC east is now stronger than the west????

Last season wasn't much different than other recent seasons: 4 west teams had winning records, 2 east teams managed to beat .500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mid-American_Conference_football_standings

Edited by Zipmeister

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The tide must have turned while I wasn't looking.

What leads you to conclude that the MAC east is now stronger than the west????

Last season was wasn't much different than other recent seasons: 4 west teams had winning records, 2 east teams managed to beat .500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mid-American_Conference_football_standings

You got east and west mixed up bud. Miami, Ohio, Buffalo, and Kent all had winning records last year and I believe all of them should solid again.

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

You got east and west mixed up bud. Miami, Ohio, Buffalo, and Kent all had winning records last year and I believe all of them should solid again.

You are correct skippy; the table I attached does not support my opinion.

Limiting results to inter divisional play only, in 2019 the east won 9 of 19 games including the MACC (of course the west had an unfair advantage with the Zips in the east).

Unfortunately, bud doesn't think Akron would win more games  this season playing teams from the west than they will playing teams from the east.

GO ZIPS

Updated scholarship chart based on what I know. If anyone knows anything else for certain, please let me know. Figure this is about as updated a roster as we'll get. A couple names missing that we haven't previously heard about - Hunter Corne and Justin Sampson. I also believe I heard on Zips live last week that Kato is injured and likely won't be healthy to start the season. Down to as little as 68 scholarship players....

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Does the rule that Freshman can play 4 games and redshirt still apply in a 6-game season? or is it now 2 games?

Only 68 scholarship players...hopefully we don't get a rash of positive tests during the season.

This year apparently doesn't count against a year of eligibility for anybody no matter how much they play. So next year with the 25 annual scholarship limit (which really screws over programs like us that aren't stable) we could theoretically get up to 93. However, other schools could be at 110...

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:15 PM, LZIp said:

Updated scholarship chart based on what I know. If anyone knows anything else for certain, please let me know. Figure this is about as updated a roster as we'll get. A couple names missing that we hav

en't previously heard about - Hunter Corne and Justin Sampson. I also believe I heard on Zips live last week that Kato is injured and likely won't be healthy to start the season. Down to as little as 68 scholarship players....

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx 13.47 kB · 12 downloads

8 seniors, oh my!

Another 0fer does not sound unrealistic.

8 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

We have evolved into a program that has potential ..... and always will. How about winning some games once in a while?

I don't see much potential this year, unfortunately. Still too young and short-handed scholarship wise. We've got 1 patched together class and then one full class on campus so far. I just want to win a damn game this season...it won't be easy. Then again this season has already shown to be pretty unpredictable looking at the rest of college football thus far.

Next season is when expectations start for Arth in my eyes. Need to get around .500 to prove he can develop players and move us in the right direction.

23 hours ago, LZIp said:

I don't see much potential this year, unfortunately. Still too young and short-handed scholarship wise. We've got 1 patched together class and then one full class on campus so far. I just want to win a damn game this season...it won't be easy. Then again this season has already shown to be pretty unpredictable looking at the rest of college football thus far.

Next season is when expectations start for Arth in my eyes. Need to get around .500 to prove he can develop players and move us in the right direction.

I admire your patience and optimism. You are keeping your expectations reasonable and that's a good thing. But while we are talking about expectations I have them of this coaching staff. Namely can they positively influence the outcome of a game. 0-12 was my answer. Last year I watched the staff closely to see if they could make strategic changes as the game went on. Could they outcoach the other team? Could they get the players to rise to their potential or even above it? Did they make our position groups better as the season wore on? I did not find a positive answer to any of those questions. Arth and his staff are our coaches. I want them to succeed. I have yet to see that they have the ability. Please prove me wrong and give us hope for the future. To me that boils down to winning a few games. Not a lot to ask.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I admire your patience and optimism. You are keeping your expectations reasonable and that's a good thing. But while we are talking about expectations I have them of this coaching staff. Namely can they positively influence the outcome of a game. 0-12 was my answer. Last year I watched the staff closely to see if they could make strategic changes as the game went on. Could they outcoach the other team? Could they get the players to rise to their potential or even above it? Did they make our position groups better as the season wore on? I did not find a positive answer to any of those questions. Arth and his staff are our coaches. I want them to succeed. I have yet to see that they have the ability. Please prove me wrong and give us hope for the future. To me that boils down to winning a few games. Not a lot to ask.

Hey, I'm just hoping we don't kick off to start both halves of a game this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Spin said:

I think he's safe. How many coaching staffs (past and present) can the U afford to pay at one time?

If I left you with the impression that I want this staff gone I apologize. I do not want to see change. I am comfortable with the situation we are in, namely we go with who we have during the length of their contract. It is my fervant hope that during that contract we see substantial proof that the staff can coach. I was just lamenting the fact that at present we have no evidence of that. I hope it comes, sooner rather than later would be preferred.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

If I left you with the impression that I want this staff gone I apologize. I do not want to see change. I am comfortable with the situation we are in, namely we go with who we have during the length of their contract. It is my fervant hope that during that contract we see substantial proof that the staff can coach. I was just lamenting the fact that at present we have no evidence of that. I hope it comes, sooner rather than later would be preferred.

No sir, I didn't take it that way. I just went on a tangent.

I'm with you, I sincerely hope he gets everything he needs to be able to show what he's capable of. 

• Like 1