Week 1, Western Michigan

56 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Maybe in 4 years we have a bunch of 5th year senior offensive linemen, and we're competing at the top of the MAC. That's all we can hope for. But the ascent to that point has been, and for the next two seasons, will continue to be really painful. 

Fact is we don't have 4 years to wait for a turnaround. 

We are bleeding $$$$

On 11/10/2020 at 2:12 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't know that it is an excuse that we are young. If you look at the 113 person roster on GoZips we have 84 players that are Sophomores/Freshman. That has to be the youngest roster in college football history .

I find it really risky by Arth to invest so heavily in Freshman recruits. By the time they're any good, your record is so terrible you get fired and the next coach gets the credit. And the fan interest is decimated. 

Lee Owens tried this route, and it took him 9 years to go 7-5. Year 10 gives way to JD Brookhart who soon wins a MAC Championship. Owens had no choice, and transferring wasn't nearly as common in the 90's.

We now live in the era of transfers, and it is fairly common for teams to pluck mature guys off the waiver wire to quickly field a competitive team. Bowden did this. Of course, you are at the mercy of the waiver wire Gods, and they both giveth, and taketh away. For every Rodney Coe there are three or four Deltron Sands, who never produce outside the weight room due to injury, or other issues. Basing a program off transfers isn't sustainable...but it gets you competitive quickly.

I wish Arth would have leaned a lot heavier on transfers. I don't foresee us winning a game until 2021. And maybe not win a MAC game until 2022. Hope I'm wrong, but unless we bring in a bunch of transfers, it is a loooong road back to winning seasons.

Arth and Ianello are going to have similar records after 2 seasons. Ianello was a jackass and got canned. Arth is a nice guy and his players are sticking around, and achieving in the classroom. That, the budget crunch and the lag inherent to winning with such a young team mean he isn't going anywhere. 

Maybe in 4 years we have a bunch of 5th year senior offensive linemen, and we're competing at the top of the MAC. That's all we can hope for. But the ascent to that point has been, and for the next two seasons, will continue to be really painful. 

Groce's means of accomplishing that was a topic of discussion on the 20-21 basketball thread today.  Groce came in and kept the program treading water with transfers, jucos and guys he knew weren't long term answers.  He knew it wasn't the long term plan but used it to getting up and running until he could build a program that could attract top notch incoming freshman.  With each recruiting class, we've seen more incoming freshman.  Like you, I think that could have helped the football program come together a little faster.

• Like 1