Week 3: Can't State Golden Flushes

Blue & Gold

Dustin Fox mentioned several times last night that the cupboard of talented athletes was bare for Arth when he came into coach Akron (I've seen this mentioned on this forum too). I don't think this is accurate and does not do justice to the players. It appears to me more accurate that many Bowden era players were shown the door (for unspoken reasons) while many others transferred or quit due to the program commitment required by Arth. Heck some of Arth's own recruits moved on to other opportunities due to the harsh realities required on and off the field. This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job (that was actually what Bowden experienced after Ianello), but instead it's a team that has not quit, despite the work required by the coaching staff, despite the losses caused in a great part by the low roster scholarships, despite all of the hard work. They seemed to have banded together despite facing all of this adversity. It kind of reminds me of another group of college football players they used to call the 'Junction Boys' at Texas A&M. Akron is down, and we may have skipped off rock bottom again, but these Buchtel Boys of Akron are beginning their climb even though it's not apparent after last night.                  

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Dustin Fox mentioned several times last night that the cupboard of talented athletes was bare for Arth when he came into coach Akron (I've seen this mentioned on this forum too). I don't think this is accurate and does not do justice to the players. It appears to me more accurate that many Bowden era players were shown the door (for unspoken reasons) while many others transferred or quit due to the program commitment required by Arth. Heck some of Arth's own recruits moved on to other opportunities due to the harsh realities required on and off the field. This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job (that was actually what Bowden experienced after Ianello), but instead it's a team that has not quit, despite the work required by the coaching staff, desite the losses caused in a great part by the low roster scholarships, despite all of the hard work. They seemed to have banded together despite facing all of this adversity. It kind of reminds me of another group of college players they used to call the 'Junction Boys' at Texas A&M. Akron is down, and we may have skipped off rock bottom again, but these Buchtel Boys of Akron are beginning their climb even though it's not apparent after last night.                  

Look at the scholarship chart.  Outside of WR, the cupboard is really bare.

I actually thought there was a glimmer of hope after that first half, I was thinking the very cold weather was the x-factor, unfortunately not enough of an x-factor.  Not a fan of Gibson at all - makes continual poor decisions and half his passes are shot puts not passes.  At least I haven't seen the return of his lay-up pass since week one.  This team will not win behind Gibson.  

Dollard - well that kid has a bright future - glad he is at Akron.  Same with Bubba.  However, having one offensive force and one defensive force and no help for either is a recipe for disaster. There is no depth anywhere and it shows.  #6 and #13 cornerbacks should trade it in for a cheerleading uniform, they are Awful!  I bet we have some players on this team that played both ways in high school and could get out there and defend better than those two.  Totally embarrassing effort from both and too many penalties.  

Looking at how poorly BG is playing I am really hoping we can get at least 1 W this year.  Dollard needs another tremendous night on 12/5 and the defense need to step it up "HUGE", since that was the word of the night.  Lastly, the play calling still sucks.  Need to call more than 3 - 5 plays. Please take note of the opponents we are playing and their mix of play calling.  My wife knows nothing about football and she was able to anticipate the play calling.  Very disturbing.   

Edited by ZippityDoDah

Love Dollard. They play hard and they were really fired up until it got out of hand, which was really fun for a bit. But the defense might as well have just forfeited 7 points instead of taking the field each drive. That was unbelievable even by Akron standards. The overall trajectory of the program is barely facing upward, which is promising yet still depressing. They've looked simply like a bad football team for most of the year, which is quite a compliment considering most of the last 20 games have been utterly embarrassing. 

I feel that the offense is a quarterback away. They've moved the ball as well as they have since mid way through 2018 before that collapse. The line is raw but massive of course, and I optimistically feel that it will be one of the tops in the league in 2-3 years assuming they all stick around. Gibson has potential, but his fundamentals are atrocious. Take care of the damn ball. As PJ Fleck would say, "the ball is the program." Fumbles, bad picks, failing to throw the ball away, those jump passes he does sometimes. Thats unacceptable. Especially when the head coach is supposed to be this premier QB coach. Looks like AJ Milwee 2.0 now. Terrible.

As for the defense......Feeney (sp?) is way too damn young. I know a lot of young guys can be really successful at this level, but he also lacks the experience at this level that a lot of those guys have. There's no reason for that last night. These teams that play fast like this run very simple offenses, they just do it fast. Therefore, there's not really much of a reason for all of the confusion and disastrous coverage. Do the same thing every time and have the players do their job. If this keeps up and Bowling Green ends up beating Akron in a shootout, Feeney has got to go. I don't like firing guys so soon but it comes to a point where it can't get any worse, so a new fresh mind that may challenge Arth a little bit might be a good thing. I don't want a bunch of young "Yes" men that haven't accomplished anything.

I honestly don't know what to think moving forward. Just win a damn game so this nightmare can end. I'll still be here cheering hard and getting my hopes up regardless, but it's time to win before we get to a point of no return.

God bless and Go Zips!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zzx said:

Until Mathison plays again, I think #16 Tony Grimes Jr. should return Kicks

He looks like he can elude tacklers, unlike the current returner

On the Zips top 10 list of things to fix, return man is low on my priority list. Our most impactful player on defense, by far, is a 5' 9" middle linebacker.  That's a big problem. 

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If I had a drink for every time Dustin Fox said "they really like this guy" I'd still be sleeping it off.

I can’t believe those two are the best option ESPN has on a Tuesday night. He said so many ridiculous things, I had to mute. On top of that, half the time the down and distance on the screen had an advertisement in its place. ESPN dares you to enjoy a game. It’s like they are trying to make you turn the channel. 

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I believe Kent could have told Akron they were running up the middle and gained 9 yards. Until this gets fixed, not much else matters. ? 

Dollard is fun to watch. ?

Amen.  If you can't stop the run nothing else in the game of football matters.  This was a rewind to week #1.

What a shame! They finally found something that consistently works on offense, BUT the defense continues to be a train wreck. They have played 2 really good teams and the defense has fallen apart against both. Give up big plays on the ground and through the air. The overall talent on defense just isn't there. While there are guys who are busting there butts with hustle, they are doing it to try to compensate for a lack of sufficient talent on that side of the ball. Not naming names. Doesn't do any good at this point. It also appears that the coaches on the D side are having problems making adjustments for the second half. The defense is going to take an infusion of talent before we see significant improvement.

The offense looks far better than last season thanks to the improved O-line and dare I say a potentially dominant running game. Gibson obviously is going to have to develop significantly so that the passing game can draw some attention of the opposing D. He only threw 15 passes completed 9 with another pick. Its amazing that Dollard had over 200 yards when he was basically the entire offense. 

Too bad that when your offense finally put up a big number(35) against a decent team you end up losing by 34. Might as well start looking at some different options on defense. Get some size on the field at linebacker and play some young guys in the secondary.  And, start leaning a little more on QB play to see if Gibson is going to be the guy next season.

There is hope.

• Like 1

My Take....

There is reason for hope. We can build on many things: OL, WR's, Teon, team attitude (they never quit), improving special teams.

What bothers me is the D and its coaching. I know, as everyone on this board does, that we lack the talent on D, but we have to go with what we have. Coaching has to make a difference. Maybe we won't win but we can play better. I believe the DL will get better. Bubba and McClain come to play. The rest is troubling. DB's need an overhaul. Riley needs to be sat down. He can't cover, tackle or anticipate. He may be a very nice guy and we know he is young and can recover. Yet he has not performed. Don't give up on him, but expect more while trying others. Coach him up.

I do not find hope in Gibson. His decision making is poor. He has a delay of game penalty every game. That's on him, not the coaches. His shot put passes are totally unacceptable. Since we have seen them in three games they are not going away. They are worthy of benching. When he runs his first few steps are slow, no quickness. I don't feel that because he is a R Fr he will automatically get better with time. Many of his weaknesses are innate and nearly impossible to coach out of him. Perhaps Cato's time away due to injury will make him more coachable and a better alternative.

It's not all doom and gloom. That's coming from a guy who was ready to string up this staff. They are building, it shows in recruiting, Teon, the OL and WR's. Yet their work continues. Sadly, we have to live with the memory of 69 points put up on us from Kent. Sheeeesh!

First off, let me say, Dollard is a stud. With that said, our young OL is doing a great job. I am hoping this means we will have a great line for many years to come, opening up holes for any future RB's we have on the roster. The defense is another story, everyone is always wide open. We've got to get that fixed quickly. 

Edited by blueandgold

53 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Show me how I do not get it.  Put a list of all of the stud football players that Bowden left behind.  No need to list Lako.  He was a very good player.

Sure I'll play, but no hyperbole. Not all with playing time as many were young, but some studs. Most would have helped in 2019 and this year, but for reasons previously mentioned they are gone: 

Max Winn LB - Bowden recruit (among others) 

Robinson LB

Lubin CB

Hall CB

Sampson DL 

Hanson DL

Sample OL

Council OL

Corne OL

White RB

Suggs RB

Floyd RB

Meeks DL

Williams WR

Morris WR

Brimage DL

Alce RB

Hooks S - Arth recruit

Peters OL Arth recruit

Patrick RB Arth recruit

Not a full list but that's +or-20 (I'm sure are some adds and corrections), which is significant.         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I can’t believe those two are the best option ESPN has on a Tuesday night. He said so many ridiculous things, I had to mute. On top of that, half the time the down and distance on the screen had an advertisement in its place. ESPN dares you to enjoy a game. It’s like they are trying to make you turn the channel. 

I muted when the girl commentator said and it's a touchdown on a first down. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Sure I'll play, but no hyperbole. Not all with playing time as many were young, but some studs. Most would have helped in 2019 and this year, but for reasons previously mentioned they are gone: 

Robinson LB

Lubin CB

Hall CB

Sampson DL 

Hanson DL

Sample OL

Council OL

Corne OL

White RB

Suggs RB

Floyd RB

Meeks DL

Williams WR

Morris WR

Brimage DL

Alce RB

Hooks S - Arth recruit

Peters OL Arth recruit

Patrick RB Arth recruit

Not a full list but that's +or-20 (I'm sure are some adds and corrections), which is significant.         

Wynn never made it to campus. He was a commit for Bowden's class before fired. Hooks was also not an Arth recruit. I don't know who Peters is. Not a single one of those players are doing anything anywhere else, with the exception of Council. To add, hardly any of those players did anything at all here, with the exception of Williams and Morris, but most can agree WR isn't really an issue. Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer to have them all here so we can field a whole team and have depth, but we aren't otherwise missing much based on what they done here/what they are doing elsewhere. Coaching changes bring turnover...its a cost of doing business. Especially when both coaches in question are polar opposites in what they expect off of the field.

Edited by LZIp

54 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Robinson LB

Lubin CB

Hall CB

Sampson DL 

Hanson DL

Sample OL

Council OL

Corne OL

White RB

Suggs RB

Floyd RB

Meeks DL

Williams WR

Morris WR

Brimage DL

Alce RB

Hooks S - Arth recruit

Peters OL Arth recruit

Patrick RB Arth recruit

I will give you Council, nobody else

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Wynn never made it to campus. He was a commit for Bowden's class before fired. Hooks was also not an Arth recruit. I don't know who Peters is. Not a single one of those players are doing anything anywhere else, with the exception of Council. To add, hardly any of those players did anything at all here, with the exception of Williams and Morris, but most can agree WR isn't really an issue. Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer to have them all here so we can field a whole team and have depth, but we aren't otherwise missing much based on what they done here/what they are doing elsewhere. Coaching changes bring turnover...its a cost of doing business. Especially when both coaches in question are polar opposites in what they expect off of the field.

Nevermind - not trying to get thru to you. I suppose you still think we couldn't run the ball last year because of our terrible O-Line, despite having zero scholarship RB's availble to run ther ball. Coaching does not have to bring this kind of turnover, but Arth demanded it. Bowden did pretty darn good with his players that you spit at... held the Wagon Wheel for 4 years. Things will turn, but it will take time.              

15 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Nevermind - not trying to get thru to you. I suppose you still think we couldn't run the ball last year because of our terrible O-Line, despite having zero scholarship RB's availble to run ther ball. Coaching does not have to bring this kind of turnover, but Arth demanded it. Bowden did pretty darn good with his players that you spit at... held the Wagon Wheel for 4 years. Things will turn, but it will take time.              

I was a Bowden supporter.  I came to many games with season tickets over many years cheering for him.  I supported multiple people on this forum that disagreed with Bowden.  They were dismissed as part of this forum.   I still will say that the cupboard was left bare.  Actually, I have some John Carrol friends who do not speak kindly of Arth.  They had sons playing for him that they did not support.  Then, there were the parents who provided total support.  I am just trying to provide a straight forward response.

I am done with this argument.  I have learned long ago that the fans who could not play, would cause issues.  As a former D1 athlete, I will stop this thread.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I still will say that the cupboard was left bare. 

Didn't I just take time to disprove this comment? Many of the players on the list in my post were young so I'm not sure how you can dismiss them as nothing. Others did make an impact on the team as starters. Cupboard left bare please - more like the contents of the cupboard were thrown out.         

2 hours ago, UA1987 said:

I muted when the girl commentator said and it's a touchdown on a first down. 

Girl?  Yikes.

With respect to this ongoing p!$$Ing contest, Arth was left with little to work with.  If Bowden's recruits were strong, he'd still be here.  That being said, Arth has now had 2 recruiting classes.  While he was late to the dance on the first one due to some foot dragging, we'd better start seeing some positive results of his recruiting efforts pretty darn soon.

54 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Didn't I just take time to disprove this comment? Many of the players on the list in my post were young so I'm not sure how you can dismiss them as nothing. Others did make an impact on the team as starters. Cupboard left bare please - more like the contents of the cupboard were thrown out.         

I assume those guys went and made impacts at other FBS schools then - where'd they go?