Week 3: Can't State Golden Flushes

Blue & Gold

5 hours ago, UA1987 said:

You don't get it. That's the roster now, not when Arth came in as coach. 

He has one and a half recruiting classes, and you are seeing several of them in play with no experience. How many true freshman and red shirt freshman are getting valuable time this season WITHOUT spring ball? Without summer workouts? Without a true fall camp? How much can he be expected to develop players over Zoom? Despite that, the O scored 5 touchdowns last night. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SkippioZippio said:

He has one and a half recruiting classes, and you are seeing several of them in play with no experience. How many true freshman and red shirt freshman are getting valuable time this season WITHOUT spring ball? Without summer workouts? Without a true fall camp? How much can he be expected to develop players over Zoom? Despite that, the O scored 5 touchdowns last night. 

Why are you quoting me (see my earlier post #793)?  

Edited by UA1987

46 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I assume those guys went and made impacts at other FBS schools then - where'd they go?

Not that easy to be picked up on transfer if you quit or were cut  Word gets out. Also, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that some these guys just loose the commitment and will to play anymore after a bad experience.

21 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Girl?  Yikes.

With respect to this ongoing p!$$Ing contest, Arth was left with little to work with.  If Bowden's recruits were strong, he'd still be here.  That being said, Arth has now had 2 recruiting classes.  While he was late to the dance on the first one due to some foot dragging, we'd better start seeing some positive results of his recruiting efforts pretty darn soon.

Step back for a minute and think how can a team that beat Northwestern in 2018 all of a sudden have the roster bare of talent in the next year. Yeah that's right - it can't unless they were dropped.  

12 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Step back for a minute and think how can a team that beat Northwestern in 2018 all of a sudden have the roster bare of talent in the next year. 

One could argue they had a roster bare of talent in that 4-8, 2018 season. Alvin Davis just happened to go "Teon Dollard" on the Wildcats.

17 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Step back for a minute and think how can a team that beat Northwestern in 2018 all of a sudden have the roster bare of talent in the next year.

You mean the 2018 team that went 4-8 overall, 2-6 in the conference, all losses were by double digits, and ended the season on a 5 game losing streak?

Edited by zipsrule
spelling/word correction

23 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

One could argue they had a roster bare of talent in that 4-8, 2018 season. Alvin Davis just happened to go "Teon Dollard" on the Wildcats.

Ok, but the next game they played a very good Iowa State team in Ames very tough. Explain? 

Edited by UA1987

5 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Sure I'll play, but no hyperbole. Not all with playing time as many were young, but some studs. Most would have helped in 2019 and this year, but for reasons previously mentioned they are gone: 

Max Winn LB - Bowden recruit (among others) 

Robinson LB

Lubin CB

Hall CB

Sampson DL 

Hanson DL

Sample OL

Council OL

Corne OL

White RB

Suggs RB

Floyd RB

Meeks DL

Williams WR

Morris WR

Brimage DL

Alce RB

Hooks S - Arth recruit

Peters OL Arth recruit

Patrick RB Arth recruit

Not a full list but that's +or-20 (I'm sure are some adds and corrections), which is significant.         

What happened to Nelson QB, Sands RB, Burkhart WR, and Knight WR? All were Bowden recruits & important players last year and I didn’t see them in box score yesterday. I think this staff is running the wrong players out of Akron

3 minutes ago, Zippy1986 said:

What happened to Nelson QB, Sands RB, Burkhart WR, and Knight WR? All were Bowden recruits & important players last year and I didn’t see them in box score yesterday. I think this staff is running the wrong players out of Akron

Nelson - injured 

Sands - graduated...and might have dislocated his shoulder reaching for his diploma 

Burkhart- medically ineligible 

Knight -RB and special teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkippioZippio said:

Not a fair assessment of Feeney. His entire defensive staff is new this year with no offseason contact with players. A ton of guys graduated. And, lots of players were listed as unavailable, which I can only imagine means COVID contact tracing. 

Tom Arth’s college buddies are not working out as d-1 coaches? There’re overwhelmed with whatever? 151 points in 3 games is a fair assessment? 

9 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Dustin Fox mentioned several times last night that the cupboard of talented athletes was bare for Arth when he came into coach Akron (I've seen this mentioned on this forum too). I don't think this is accurate and does not do justice to the players. It appears to me more accurate that many Bowden era players were shown the door (for unspoken reasons) while many others transferred or quit due to the program commitment required by Arth. Heck some of Arth's own recruits moved on to other opportunities due to the harsh realities required on and off the field. This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job (that was actually what Bowden experienced after Ianello), but instead it's a team that has not quit, despite the work required by the coaching staff, despite the losses caused in a great part by the low roster scholarships, despite all of the hard work. They seemed to have banded together despite facing all of this adversity. It kind of reminds me of another group of college football players they used to call the 'Junction Boys' at Texas A&M. Akron is down, and we may have skipped off rock bottom again, but these Buchtel Boys of Akron are beginning their climb even though it's not apparent after last night.                  

This needs to be addressed publicly. Announcers continue to blame the current roster that Arth and his staff inherited. Akron was good in 2017 and competed in 2018. Actually upset Northwestern and almost beat Iowa State. Terry Bowden and his staff had respectable talent throughout his career at Akron.

The lack of scholarship players are 100% Arths staff to blame. Bowden players were not welcomed and the current remaining players left on roster show for it. I think Kato Nelson is “injured" this year because he took a beating last year and has no intentions of playing another game for Arth’s staff. I think he has plans of transferring from this program upon graduation and I would not be surprised if we get embarrassed by him next year by another MAC school. 

We went from competing in the MAC championship in 2017 to the laughing stock of NCAA D1 FBS football with a starting depth chart full of walk ons and freshman. Send these guys back to the OAC where they belong. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zippy1986 said:

Nelson is getting over a shoulder surgery and should be soon cleared to play.  Maybe even this week?

Burkhart was a fantastic WR but injuries (concussions?) cut his playing days short.

The WR Knight you mention above is Boogie Knight, who is still on the team but lined up at running back now.  He also returns punts & kicks.

I don't know about Sands.  Didn't he graduate?  I thought he was a senior last year, but I definitely could be wrong.

Edit: ^^I see Captain beat me to the punch! Lol

Edited by Blue & Gold

Kevin Koger - Packers

Johnathan Cooley - Rams

Shelton Felton - Tennessee

Scott Aligo - Michigan State

Davern Williams - Troy

Possibly with the exception of Williams, who left to coach at his alma mater, the rest of these guys were on the staff since he's been at Akron  who undoubtedly left for a promotion. I may even be forgetting one or two. There are also additional connections on the LA Rams that I believe have been on his staff. To me, it indicates that his "buddies" do have some talent and give me more hope than I otherwise would have.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Dustin Fox mentioned several times last night that the cupboard of talented athletes was bare for Arth when he came into coach Akron (I've seen this mentioned on this forum too). I don't think this is accurate and does not do justice to the players. It appears to me more accurate that many Bowden era players were shown the door (for unspoken reasons) while many others transferred or quit due to the program commitment required by Arth. Heck some of Arth's own recruits moved on to other opportunities due to the harsh realities required on and off the field. This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job (that was actually what Bowden experienced after Ianello), but instead it's a team that has not quit, despite the work required by the coaching staff, despite the losses caused in a great part by the low roster scholarships, despite all of the hard work. They seemed to have banded together despite facing all of this adversity. It kind of reminds me of another group of college football players they used to call the 'Junction Boys' at Texas A&M. Akron is down, and we may have skipped off rock bottom again, but these Buchtel Boys of Akron are beginning their climb even though it's not apparent after last night.                  

I think this is the post were this thread started going sideways.  This is a good post and I agree with most of it!

This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job (that was actually what Bowden experienced after Ianello), 

I totally agree.  Now the cupboard which Bowden inherited was sincerely bare.  I'm still grateful to Bowden and always will be.  He took Akron from the bottom and made us pretty respectable.  However, I think he may have gotten lazy (?), because his recruiting classes were always rather sub-par (especially considering he could/should be leveraging the Bowden name.) and i do think he had taken Akron as far as he could... and there were signs of his losing the team during his last year. But that's a different rabbit trail.  Anyway, Arth's cupboard wasn’t that bare, he just felt the necessity of taking the program in an entirely different direction.

This team's story in 2019 and 2020 is not boo hoo for Arth and his bare cupbaord of talent when he took the job... but instead it's a team that has not quit, despite the work required by the coaching staff, despite the losses caused in a great part by the low roster scholarships, despite all of the hard work. They seemed to have banded together despite facing all of this adversity.

Totally agree.  All these players seem to love each other and the staff, and haven't been tuning the staff out in the slightest.  Their effort is still through the roof.  I really respect all the players for that and respect the coaches for remaining encouraging and upbeat.  It may be the intangible positive personalities that Arth is attracting.  It would be all too easy for one or two players to become a cancer on this team, but I haven't detected the least bit of that.  Total props from Coach Arth to the water boy.

...but these Buchtel Boys of Akron are beginning their climb even though it's not apparent after last night.                  

Again.  Totally agree.  Last night was rough for all of us and all of our nerves are kinda exposed after last night.  But I see the team improving and have to remind myself that 1. they're mostly all freshmen and sophomores, and 2. this year is more of an exhibition year anyway with no one losing eligibility.  

Not losing a year of eligibility will benefit everyone in the MAC, but we're so young it's going to benefit us more than anyone.

Go Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zippy1986 said:

The lack of scholarship players are 100% Arths staff to blame.

Do we know for sure this is the case?

Between the university's (and athletic department's) money problems, and the Coronavirus cancelling MAC fall sports (and then football coming back with very little gate), how many rides did Coach Arth have to give this year?

Edited by Spin

13 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

On the Zips top 10 list of things to fix, return man is low on my priority list. Our most impactful player on defense, by far, is a 5' 9" middle linebacker.  That's a big problem. 

Bubba is not the problem.  Also, there was a Cleveland born linebacker named London Fletcher that was small, but he played for 15-16 seasons in the NFL.  The problem is the other linebackers in the group.  Even though, I think there are a couple of young players who will be good.  

Gentlemen, first I cannot believe Im reading such nonsense and the language spewing from some of your mouths. Calling out players and coaches etc.Shame on you ! After watching the team last year and so far this year this is my observance. First, Arth came in and demanded these boys go to class, study , make the grades and perform community service.Im willing to bet the boys that didn't make the grades and didn't want to contribute to the community went on their own way. Now remember: new coach = new system and some boys left because they did not fit the system .And the locker room poison was sent away. Last year was rough as Arth did not have the players for his system.Fast forward to now, Arth is starting to put some of the pieces to the puzzle together now. He has a young OL that is better than he had last year. We are loaded at WR and looks like we have some capable RBs.I am concerned with the QB position. Defensively, I think Feeney is more than capable but needs more talent in his secondary . Maybe right now we need to play more zone as Im not seeing any shutdown cover guys. LB play is very good considering all game long you got 300lb lineman crawling to them. In my opinion, we cannot run a 3/2 we do not have 3 280lb DL that can run stop or rush. Therefore, a 5/2 suites us better and enables our LBs to scrap and make plays free of OL crawling.My next question is “ Why y’all got some much against walk ons  “ Just because they are the boys that didn't get all the hype doesn't mean they cant  compete. Take Grimes for instance ,he is probably as good as those hyped up 4 & 5 star WRs. Stars are out the window when you get to this level. I understand  Arth is very good about awarding WO scholarships if deserved. So how about you boys knock the crap off with trashing coaches & players. We lucky to just be able to watch them play now. The challenges & struggles these guys are going thru are real. We are better than this fellows !

• Like 2

I have watched this forum for 2 years and finally glad to join the discussion.   1st of all, if you don't see the improvement in the program over the last year and half you're blind.  The offense is tremendously better and actually competitive.   OL is gonna only get better with off season strength and conditioning.   WR group is alot better than last year.  More experienced and more talented.   RB group is so far ahead of last year it's not even close.  Last season we started a walkon 5'6 165lb RB. 

QB position is only gonna get better with reps.   Gibson has a cannon and leadership qualities this team needs.  You can see his passion that will equate to success in the future.  He is a Freshman.

Now defense is another issue.  Tuesday they were missing alot of players.  The scheme has to improve.  We are not physical yet.  Will take another year.  But this year will allow us to catch up .  

Recruiting is the key.  Period.  Need pieces to compete at this level.  But I assure you we are on the right path.  Patience

Edited by ZIPFAN21
  • Like 1

It's a forum.  A place to exchange thoughts and ideas.  That's going to occasionally involve criticism, e.g. Groce should mix in some zone; Arth needs to recruit more transfers and jucos; player B needs to control his emotions on the field...  That criticism can result in a reasonable and productive adult discussion.

What it shouldn't be and can't be is a place for juvenile name calling hissy fits when there's a disagreement and mods need to get that stuff quickly under control, and fast, or you'll see the decay of the site.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

I have watched this forum for 2 years and finally glad to join the discussion.   1st of all, if you don't see the improvement in the program over the last year and half you're blind.  The offense is tremendously better and actually competitive.   OL is gonna only get better with off season strength and conditioning.   WR group is alot better than last year.  More experienced and more talented.   RB group is so far ahead of last year it's not even close.  Last season we started a walkon 5'6 165lb RB. 

QB position is only gonna get better with reps.   Gibson has a cannon and leadership qualities this team needs.  You can see his passion that will equate to success in the future.  He is a Freshman.

Now defense is another issue.  Tuesday they were missing alot of players.  The scheme has to improve.  We are not physical yet.  Will take another year.  But this year will allow us to catch up .  

Recruiting is the key.  Period.  Need pieces to compete at this level.  But I assure you we are on the right path.  Patience

Thanks for joining. I pretty much agree with you spot on. Stick around!