Week 3: Can't State Golden Flushes

Blue & Gold

I know it's tough to relax when there has been 20 consecutive losses but let's look at the upside.  1) This season is really just an evaluation period for 6 weeks.  Everything will carry over.  These young players 74% of roster is Freshman/Sophomore's will get tremendously better in the off season with a strength and conditioning coordinator that is very highly respected.

2) Offensively they are way better off than last year and it's not even close. The offensive line will only get better and will be together for 4 years.  Add Nate Williams and Ronan Chambers and some depth and you can argue in 2 years will be best in the MAC.

3) RBs improved over last season, again not even close.  Need more depth with untested Freshman. 

4) WRs improved over last season as a group.  Qualls and Grimes big upgrades.  Stewart is the senior leader.  Mathison been injured but future is very bright.

5) QB room has competition now. Nelson is injured but will return at some point.  Gibson upside is off the charts.  You can tell he is a leader.  He can make all the throws.  His issue is trying to do too much be because of being desperate to win.  Bringing in kid from Vero Beach in January is only gonna solidify that position moving forward.

6) Defense needs to get bigger and faster period.  DL is young and weak but will benefit with off season training. May need a couple of transfers at this position.

7) LBs are too small and not physical.  Struggle in passing game and overmatched.  Bubba does it with heart but seriously 210lb LBs is not a good template.

Need a transfer or two at this position. 

? DBs are young and need to get stronger.  They lose every physical battle thus far this season.  Poor in tackling, poor in coverage.  Look confused.  Watts, Cochran and Ogbonna will get better with offseason workouts. 

Bottomline we gotta be patient. The real Year 2 for Arth begins in 2021.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

I know it's tough to relax when there has been 20 consecutive losses but let's look at the upside.  1) This season is really just an evaluation period for 6 weeks.  Everything will carry over.  These young players 74% of roster is Freshman/Sophomore's will get tremendously better in the off season with a strength and conditioning coordinator that is very highly respected.

2) Offensively they are way better off than last year and it's not even close. The offensive line will only get better and will be together for 4 years.  Add Nate Williams and Ronan Chambers and some depth and you can argue in 2 years will be best in the MAC.

3) RBs improved over last season, again not even close.  Need more depth with untested Freshman. 

4) WRs improved over last season as a group.  Qualls and Grimes big upgrades.  Stewart is the senior leader.  Mathison been injured but future is very bright.

5) QB room has competition now. Nelson is injured but will return at some point.  Gibson upside is off the charts.  You can tell he is a leader.  He can make all the throws.  His issue is trying to do too much be because of being desperate to win.  Bringing in kid from Vero Beach in January is only gonna solidify that position moving forward.

6) Defense needs to get bigger and faster period.  DL is young and weak but will benefit with off season training. May need a couple of transfers at this position.

7) LBs are too small and not physical.  Struggle in passing game and overmatched.  Bubba does it with heart but seriously 210lb LBs is not a good template.

? DBs are young and need to get stronger.  They lose every physical battle thus far this season.  Poor in tackling, poor in coverage.  Look confused.  Watts, Cochran and Ogbonna will get better with offseason workouts. 

If I had to guess Arth might be tempted to improve his defense with a couple of transfers/JUCOS just to support what appears to be a developing offense. At the MAC level almost have to do that at some point. Not to the extent Bowden did it however. If Arth can coach up a QB, whomever that may be, the offense should be significantly better than under Bowden and..... Assuming a full schedule is played sometime in 2021,obviously not certain, if Arth finds a competent QB, they will be competitive next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

Right on about the LB's. Not physically up to par even for the MAC. No shutdown DB. Where is Dwight Smith when you need him(LOL). But, please don't go back to Nelson at this point. His train left the station 2 years ago.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:19 AM, John Ward said:

Gentlemen, first I cannot believe Im reading such nonsense and the language spewing from some of your mouths. Calling out players and coaches etc.Shame on you ! After watching the team last year and so far this year this is my observance. First, Arth came in and demanded these boys go to class, study , make the grades and perform community service.Im willing to bet the boys that didn't make the grades and didn't want to contribute to the community went on their own way. Now remember: new coach = new system and some boys left because they did not fit the system .And the locker room poison was sent away. Last year was rough as Arth did not have the players for his system.Fast forward to now, Arth is starting to put some of the pieces to the puzzle together now. He has a young OL that is better than he had last year. We are loaded at WR and looks like we have some capable RBs.I am concerned with the QB position. Defensively, I think Feeney is more than capable but needs more talent in his secondary . Maybe right now we need to play more zone as Im not seeing any shutdown cover guys. LB play is very good considering all game long you got 300lb lineman crawling to them. In my opinion, we cannot run a 3/2 we do not have 3 280lb DL that can run stop or rush. Therefore, a 5/2 suites us better and enables our LBs to scrap and make plays free of OL crawling.My next question is “ Why y’all got some much against walk ons  “ Just because they are the boys that didn't get all the hype doesn't mean they cant  compete. Take Grimes for instance ,he is probably as good as those hyped up 4 & 5 star WRs. Stars are out the window when you get to this level. I understand  Arth is very good about awarding WO scholarships if deserved. So how about you boys knock the crap off with trashing coaches & players. We lucky to just be able to watch them play now. The challenges & struggles these guys are going thru are real. We are better than this fellows !

He hasn't won a game.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, ZIPFAN21 said:

Thanks for the analysis.  I agree with most comments.  However, I would like to forget Nelson as a QB option.  I want to move forward with the prospects that we have on offense, and many on defense.  Regarding the defense, I would like to get a transfer from the portal for the DL, LB, and DB.  There are many 3 and 4 star prospects that are available.  These additions would be very good as the recruits grow into their positions.  Arth is building a very good team.  He just needs some more time.  

• Like 1