Three for Thursday [Zips @Golden Flashes]

Dr Z

Kent  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very few replies to this challenge.  I think it shows the (lack of) Zips support.  My thoughts are that the Zips are going to take it on the chin for this game.  However, they are playing mostly very young players.  Look, 4 red shirt freshman on the OL.  This is similar to other position groups.  2021 will start to show the benefits, but 2022 will be a bowl season.  that is if they keep Arth around that long.  

Sorry, but I see a loss here, but I see a serious potential win versus Bowling Green.

I picked us for the win simply because I couldn't bring myself to vote for a 21+ Kent win.

I was hoping for rain to slow down Kent's offense, but no such luck.  It is only scheduled to be 35 degrees at kickoff, so maybe that will slow their passing attack a little bit?  Crum's awfully good.

Hopefully we can  continue to run the ball successfully and keep Kent's offense off the field/our D fresh/run clock.  So many advantages to being able to run the football. 

6 hours ago, bigjim said:

4 red shirt freshman on the OL.  This is similar to other position groups.  

I've already mentioned how much I'm enjoying watching our OL develop.  But our DL is awfully young too.

DL getting the most PT are

#11 Nazir Sy - R-Sophomore

#97 Janirr Wade - true Freshman (don't believe he played in game #1 - made a difference)

#67 Logan Hawkins - R-Sophomore (don't believe he played in game #1 - made a difference), and

#94 John Mitchell - Senior

(Senior Ja'Quize Cross started Week 1 but didn't play last week.)

A freshman who hasn't played yet but whom I'm excited to see on the DL is Deacon Allen.  He's listed as 6-1, 290 and was a state-ranked wrestler in high school.  I like wrestlers - they know how to use leverage & have good balance.

Our starting LB's also have a couple/few more years to reach full potential:

Bubba - R-Junior (I'm digging the fact this year doesn't count against eligibility)

Brandon Bischof - Junior

Ryan McClain - Junior, and

Julian Richardson - Sophomore

Two linebackers I'd like to see more of are R-Soph. Reggie Corner (undersized but a natural baller) and R-Freshman Quevan Lawson - one of our higher rated recruits and has great size at 6-5, 240. (I haven't seen Quevan at all - I'm thinking he's probably sick.)

• Like 1

This team is going to show great improvement over the next couple seasons as long as we let things play out without rocking the boat too much but I am not sure that I am extremely confident about seeing a positive result on the scoreboard this week simply due to the inexperience and youth the Zips have right now and the success the opponent has had last season and this far this one.
I know I have had said it before but I really think the Zips miss having the non-conference portion if their original schedule this year more than anyone else in the MAC. I think this team would have matured and gained more confidence against YSU, NMSU, and UMass.

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I think this team would have matured and gained more confidence against YSU, NMSU, and UMass.

Missing those games hurt badly.  Those were perfect non-con opponents for our young team.  We possibly could have picked up a couple wins.  MAC East (save BUGS) is a gauntlet this year and then from the West we drew a WMU team with a 5th-year senior-laden OL.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I picked us for the win simply because I couldn't bring myself to vote for a 21+ Kent win.

I was hoping for rain to slow down Kent's offense, but no such luck.  It is only scheduled to be 35 degrees at kickoff, so maybe that will slow their passing attack a little bit?  Crum's awfully good.

Hopefully we can  continue to run the ball successfully and keep Kent's offense off the field/our D fresh/run clock.  So many advantages to being able to run the football. 

I've already mentioned how much I'm enjoying watching our OL develop.  But our DL is awfully young too.

#97 Janirr Wade - true Freshman (don't believe he played in game #1 - made a difference)

#67 Logan Hawkins - R-Sophomore (don't believe he played in game #1 - made a difference), and

A freshman who hasn't played yet but whom I'm excited to see on the DL is Deacon Allen.  He's listed as 6-1, 290 and was a state-ranked wrestler in high school.  I like wrestlers - they know how to use leverage & have good balance.

Bubba - R-Junior (I'm digging the fact this year doesn't count against eligibility)

Brandon Bischof - Junior

Two linebackers I'd like to see more of are R-Soph. Reggie Corner (undersized but a natural baller) and R-Freshman Quevan Lawson - one of our higher rated recruits and has great size at 6-5, 240. (I haven't seen Quevan at all - I'm thinking he's probably sick.)

DL is young, but it needs to play Brendan Smith and Bryce Wilson in addition to the players listed above.  Smith put on 35 lb from last year and is ready to contribute. Maybe rotate in Julius Hawkings.  I agree that Logan Hawkins needs to be in the mix.  

I support your linebacker analysis, but I think they need to get some minutes for Juan Jarett and Michael Snowden.  with the rules this year, they will not be charged a year of eligibility.  Give them some playing time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Brandon Bischof - Junior

Puzzles me about moving Reggie Corner to LB. Didn't he actually come in as a possible CB then move to safety? Think it indicates how thin they think they are at LB

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

DL is young, but it needs to play Brendan Smith and Bryce Wilson in addition to the players listed above.  Smith put on 35 lb from last year and is ready to contribute. Maybe rotate in Julius Hawkings.  I agree that Logan Hawkins needs to be in the mix.  

I support your linebacker analysis, but I think they need to get some minutes for Juan Jarett and Michael Snowden.  with the rules this year, they will not be charged a year of eligibility.  Give them some playing time.  

I agree that Snowden is a talent, but his play against WMU showed he's not ready. Still I'm with you that he needs to get experience, especially in a year when he won't lose eligibility. Work him in gradually. This is the year to do it. I know Arth loves the guy's attitude and he has the size we need from our future LB's. In our strength program he will grow to be a force.

20 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I agree that Snowden is a talent, but his play against WMU showed he's not ready. Still I'm with you that he needs to get experience, especially in a year when he won't lose eligibility. Work him in gradually. This is the year to do it. I know Arth loves the guy's attitude and he has the size we need from our future LB's. In our strength program he will grow to be a force.

I know these guys are not ready.  But, give them 4-5 plays a game to understand the speed of the game.  Also, that will help them work harder in the weight room and get ready for next year.  It will also give a brief breather to the starters while you are prepping for future success, and it is not at the expense of current success.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

Sorry, Im not seeing what your seeing in Smith. Didn't do anything last yr on special teams.Not impressed. Snowden has potential but has a lot to learn .

41 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Sorry, Im not seeing what your seeing in Smith. Didn't do anything last yr on special teams.Not impressed. Snowden has potential but has a lot to learn .

My point is that lets get a little playing time for everyone who has potential.  The best that the Zips will do this year is 1 win against BG.  So, let's keep prepping for next year and get a little amount of playing time for anyone who may contribute in the future.  It will prove to be very beneficial as long as Arth is kept as coach.  

• Like 1

Let's go Zips

The game is only 10 hours away from kickoff.  In the past, If the game was at the INFO, I would be unloading the car and getting ready for a day long excursion of tail gating.  Now, there would only be a couple of us in Lot 9, but that number would grow in the hour before kickoff. 

Zips need to put on a good show tonight.

• Like 1