Week 4: Miami RedHawks

Blue & Gold

A DC finally figured out that he should concentrate on stopping the one thing Akron was doing OK- rushing the ball.  4 total yards rushing.  That's downright embarrassing.  

Every team they've played is bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic.

For those of you calling for the firing of Arth, it's wasted emotion.  The school's finances simply won't allow it.  Settle in.  Enjoy basketball. 

For those of us that didn't want them to play FCS or D2 level football, I have bad news.  They already are.

This cluster is likely to draw about the same number of fans next year as it is this year.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

A DC finally figured out that he should concentrate on stopping the one thing Akron was doing OK- rushing the ball.  4 total yards rushing.  That's downright embarrassing.  

For those of you calling for the firing of Arth, it's wasted emotion.  The school's finances simply won't allow it.  Settle in.  Enjoy basketball. 

This cluster is likely to draw about the same number of fans next year as it is this year.

that guy at Buffalo ran for over 400yards v Kent today.

Honestly, our offense is terrible and because of that our defense is on the field way more than it should be (which also needs help).

Have any of you looked at the pedigree of coach Zagorski?  He was a D3 coach for 4 years and that includes a GA position for one of those years. In 2015 he talked his way on to Tennessee's staff as an offensive quality control assistant (by the way, what the hell is that).  He then smoothed his way on to Eastern Kentucky coaching staff in 2016-2018 in assistant roles.   Not once was the guy an O-line coach.  It wasn't until 2019 that Arth hired him as O-line coach and offensive coordinator.  Give me a break.  No wonder our offense is so bad.  Starts at the top.  Arth better hire someone who knows football if he wants to keep his job.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I agree that as a whole, every team is bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic.  However, we should have pockets and groups of players that are bigger and faster.  Look at Miami today, we should have had several groups that are faster, but we were not prepared.

I agree that the firing of Arth is a wasted emotion.  It was a frustrated 30 minutes of a lack of coaching and preparation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zippyroo said:

Honestly, our offense is terrible and because of that our defense is on the field way more than it should be (which also needs help).

Have any of you looked at the pedigree of coach Zagorski?  He was a D3 coach for 4 years and that includes a GA position for one of those years. In 2015 he talked his way on to Tennessee's staff as an offensive quality control assistant (by the way, what the hell is that).  He then smoothed his way on to Eastern Kentucky coaching staff in 2016-2018 in assistant roles.   Not once was the guy an O-line coach.  It wasn't until 2019 that Arth hired him as O-line coach and offensive coordinator.  Give me a break.  No wonder our offense is so bad.  Starts at the top.  Arth better hire someone who knows football if he wants to keep his job.

One of my main complaints about Arth was he brought a bunch of his former assistants for his staff instead of hiring a bunch of guys with DI experience. That may be coming back to bite him now.

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Anyone have a clue who #49 is? He’s been in a number of plays blocking, but no name on jersey 

Nate Williams, Freshmen OT.  Are the Zips that tight on money they couldn’t sew his name patch on the new number jersey?

Edited by Zipped Up

Offensively:  OL was awful today.  Our QB NEVER has time to throw.  When he does he executes pretty well.  When he doesn't is when his mistakes happen.  He made two poor throws today. The rest he did well. Kid is only a freshman and will get better IF the OL gets better.    OL missed all blitz pickups (Coaching???)   Center got replaced because of all of the missed middle blitz pickups.  4 yds rushing will get you beat every game.

Defensively:  We put zero pressure on their QB. Upfront we get manhandled.  LBs actually played well stopping the run today.  DBs are just not good.  Blame it on youth, blame it on skill, blame it physicality, whatever.   They have to be better.  

4 hours ago, bigjim said:

Easy sell.  Do you want to see the field immediately because our talent level is low?  We will have you playing in year one.

It is no doubt interesting to recruits to get on the field early, but the competitive ones still want to win at sometime. Our program cannot realistically promise/predict when that will be. All recruits want to play, yet if it were true that they want to get on the field early, no matter what, perennially losing teams would have decent talent. That is not the case and never has been. Losing becomes a culture, as it has at Akron, and the good ones want no part of that.  

2 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

One of my main complaints about Arth was he brought a bunch of his former assistants for his staff instead of hiring a bunch of guys with DI experience. That may be coming back to bite him now.

This is a really good observation. Arth hired few coaches with strong D1 pedigrees at winning programs. He now is relying on assistants who have never had the pressure to win at the D1 level and do not know how to change a culture of losing to one of winning. The coaches are looking to Arth for leadership because they have never had to turn around a program. Arth has no experienced assistant to go to for help. I am not impressed with coach Z, both as an OC and OL coach. Our play calling sucks and the OL is poorly prepared. The theme of our OL for the last 6 years was " wait until next year, these guys are coming together". Rather than demand performance we have slipped into dreaming of the future with little evidence the staff can produce. I am not talking about winning now. I am talking about playing good football. We all know we have a talent issue. I can wait if the staff puts out a team that tries hard every play and plays with an intelligent scheme. We are not getting that. 

• Thanks 1

Actually The co-offensive coordinator, Bryan Gasser, is responsible for the play calling. Coach Z I am guessing has no history of play calling since Tom Arth called plays in 2019 & this year it is a guy with no experience (Gasser). And to be honest, it really shows with the lack of  ; mid game adjustments, game plan, offensive identity, finding creative ways to get playmakers involved and the decision of who is skill players are. I firmly believe a lot of this has to do with an egotistic personality trait many poor coaches possess.... did he really think that no team would prepare to stop the run?

For a team that takes pride in their run game, 4 total rushing yards is absolutely embarrassing. 

News flash— your run game is not that special — Kent State just allowed 1 guy to run for over 400 yards and 8 TDs. 

We are going into week 5 and we have yet to see Kato Nelson... the only competitive option at QB. Also, we have hardly seen Hicks and Knight, both key players with experience and talent. I understand the idea of rebuilding... but fielding an offense full of underclassmen is going to take away any shot at competing against their Conference Foes, whom should always be close to even in talent as they are recruiting a lot of similar talent— 2 and 3 stars. Plus, the experienced guys are suppose to be the leaders in situations like this... when you are facing adversity as a young player ( Gibson today with 10+ sacks) , another freshman is not going to be able to pick you up.

Yeah this is a free year, but the coaches are under the gun... Being ranked recently #15 on the coaches hot seat website. Unfortunately Akron is 0-16 with these coaches at the helm & their team continues to regress as many of their players seem to have lost hope. This team would struggle to compete in D-1 AA. The only way I see any hope in Tom Arth is if he stops rebuilding his roster and starts rebuilding his coaching staff with real qualified d1 guys.

And for the announcers, please stop blaming the roster and start blaming these coaches. Please bring back Terry Bowden in 2021.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

This is a really good observation. Arth hired few coaches with strong D1 pedigrees at winning programs. He now is relying on assistants who have never had the pressure to win at the D1 level and do not know how to change a culture of losing to one of winning. The coaches are looking to Arth for leadership because they have never had to turn around a program. Arth has no experienced assistant to go to for help. I am not impressed with coach Z, both as an OC and OL coach. Our play calling sucks and the OL is poorly prepared. The theme of our OL for the last 6 years was " wait until next year, these guys are coming together". Rather than demand performance we have slipped into dreaming of the future with little evidence the staff can produce. I am not talking about winning now. I am talking about playing good football. We all know we have a talent issue. I can wait if the staff puts out a team that tries hard every play and plays with an intelligent scheme. We are not getting that. 

That was my thought too.  At least on defense, it looks like the coaches are giving most kids a shot.  This is simply not the case on offense.  Coach Z locks in on "his guys" and no other players have a chance to see the field during the season unless someone gets hurt.  I have heard thru the grapevine that the strongest kid on the team has not even been given a shot to play.  I know strength is not everything but come on.  Play the kid and see what happens.  Especially on a team that has not won a game in forever.  Plus any good program should embrace competition as it brings out the best in all players as long as it is made clear that all players have an equal shot.  

9 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

That was my thought too.  At least on defense, it looks like the coaches are giving most kids a shot.  This is simply not the case on offense.  Coach Z locks in on "his guys" and no other players have a chance to see the field during the season unless someone gets hurt.  I have heard thru the grapevine that the strongest kid on the team has not even been given a shot to play.  I know strength is not everything but come on.  Play the kid and see what happens.  Especially on a team that has not won a game in forever.  Plus any good program should embrace competition as it brings out the best in all players as long as it is made clear that all players have an equal shot.  

This is on Coach Gasser not Coach Z