Week 6: Buffalo Bulls

Blue & Gold

14 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

football on TV and basketball on the radio.  No Steve French on either one 

I think you got that backwards.  When football wins a MAC championship and basketball goes two years without win, football will get priority!

P.S.- By those standards, I guess soccer will always get priority!

1 hour ago, Zippy1986 said:

Bowden knew how to recruit talent.. didn’t matter from where. Had solid pipelines in Ohio and Florida.

He had his hits, and had his misses. When the waiver wire was in his favor guys like Coe, Marcus, Pittman (jr year), Davis, etc gave us a good chance to win. When it wasn't in our favor, Sands, Johns, Ball...we struggled.

Bowden's QB stable was always thin. That hurt us. Williams was great, but only played one season. Chapman wasn't a QB. Woodson was usually overweight, suspended or injured. Ramart wasn't D1 material.

Bowden couldn't recruit a good RB.

He identified good, under the radar talents like Davis, Lako, Brown and Gilbert. But for every Northwestern win there were 4 losses to middling MAC/G5 teams. That was the problem. I thought we broke through against Marshall. That was probably Bowden's greatest win. But Woodson peaked that day, and we regressed afterwards. 

I liked Bowden. He was always very nice to me. He would have stuck around Akron for another 8 years and given us stability. But would he have turned us into "Toledo?" Or would we have been an "Eastern Michigan?" The AD made the call to try and get better, and here we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

He had his hits, and had his misses. When the waiver wire was in his favor guys like Coe, Marcus, Pittman (jr year), Davis, etc gave us a good chance to win. When it wasn't in our favor, Sands, Johns, Ball...we struggled.

Bowden's QB stable was always thin. That hurt us. Williams was great, but only played one season. Chapman wasn't a QB. Woodson was usually overweight, suspended or injured. Ramart wasn't D1 material.

Bowden couldn't recruit a good RB.

He identified good, under the radar talents like Davis, Lako, Brown and Gilbert. But for every Northwestern win there were 4 losses to middling MAC/G5 teams. That was the problem. I thought we broke through against Marshall. That was probably Bowden's greatest win. But Woodson peaked that day, and we regressed afterwards. 

I liked Bowden. He was always very nice to me. He would have stuck around Akron for another 8 years and given us stability. But would he have turned us into "Toledo?" Or would we have been an "Eastern Michigan?" The AD made the call to try and get better, and here we are.

Not trying to flame here but what were the off field issues with Bowden mentioned in a thread here?

35 minutes ago, Palmyra19 said:

Not trying to flame here but what were the off field issues with Bowden mentioned in a thread here?

No issues with the staff as far I know. He wasn't afraid to take on players who had a checkered past, though to their credit I don't know of any public issues while they were on campus. For frame of reference, Tyreek Hill was supposed to come here at one point after being dismissed for his heinous act at Oklahoma State. The "homegrown" players mostly seemed to just have issues passing drug tests, like the QB mentioned above. Arth had some early issues with TB players last year with that as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Palmyra19 said:

My opinion - I think his detractors feel he ran a loose ship. Infractions that some coaches might deem "suspendable offenses," were sometimes overlooked. The team's GPA wasn't the best...I think Arth improved on it by almost 0.7? 

He brought in some kids with a troubled history. Rodney Coe was booted off Iowa State. JoJo Natson was booted from Utah State. Brian Bell had some well-publicized problems in Florida that prevented him from entering Florida State. Tommy Woodson had his scholarship offer pulled from Arizona.

Woodson and Bell had suspensions while at Akron. Woodson left, and Bell ended up playing-out his eligibility.

Coe had a cup of tea in the NFL, and Natson would be returning kicks for the Browns if his knee didn't give out.

So high risk, high reward... 

Bowden had his negatives, but I feel the guy did his best to bring the best talent to UA. Culture was important to him…I know this from his post-practice speeches covering topics like race, faith and community service. He always treated me and Dr. Z well, extending us the same courtesies he would to any member of the press.

Chuck Amato was a great guy. Todd Stoud (Bowden's DC) is one of the best human beings you'll ever meet in your life. There were lots of good people on his staff. So it's not fair to paint the Bowden time as some lawless "Barry Switzer - Oklahoma" era. I think he's just an old-school coach.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

My opinion - I think his detractors feel he ran a loose ship. Infractions that some coaches might deem "suspendable offenses," were sometimes overlooked. The team's GPA wasn't the best...I think Arth improved on it by almost 0.7? 

He brought in some kids with a troubled history. Rodney Coe was booted off Iowa State. JoJo Natson was booted from Utah State. Brian Bell had some well-publicized problems in Florida that prevented him from entering Florida State. Tommy Woodson had his scholarship offer pulled from Arizona.

Woodson and Bell had suspensions while at Akron. Woodson left, and Bell ended up playing-out his eligibility.

Coe had a cup of tea in the NFL, and Natson would be returning kicks for the Browns if his knee didn't give out.

So high risk, high reward... 

Bowden had his negatives, but I feel the guy did his best to bring the best talent to UA. Culture was important to him…I know this from his post-practice speeches covering topics like race, faith and community service. He always treated me and Dr. Z well, extending us the same courtesies he would to any member of the press.

Chuck Amato was a great guy. Todd Stoud (Bowden's DC) is one of the best human beings you'll ever meet in your life. There were lots of good people on his staff. So it's not fair to paint the Bowden time as some lawless "Barry Switzer - Oklahoma" era. I think he's just an old-school coach.

I'm guessing your mom told you if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all because you didn't comment on Bowden's OC.

7 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Really?

The attached shows the Zips 2018 roster loaded with 31 players from Florida (and, oh wait, 38 from Ohio).

https://gozips.com/sports/football/roster/2018

Yes really! I guess I should be a little clearer.Bowden only liked to go after the FL boys. That is a fact. I spoken to many youngins back in the day that when asked “Why not Akron” they would reply to me “ That coach doesn't want Ohio boys” This is a true story so whatever !

2 hours ago, John Ward said:

Yes really! I guess I should be a little clearer.Bowden only liked to go after the FL boys. That is a fact. I spoken to many youngins back in the day that when asked “Why not Akron” they would reply to me “ That coach doesn't want Ohio boys” This is a true story so whatever !

So how'd those 38 stumble onto the roster?

• Like 1

Terry Bowden comes off Akron contract February 2021. Where do you think he ends up?He currently is a Grad Assistant at Clemson.

-Do you think he will be hired elsewhere as a head coach, assistant, or retire?

- Personally, I could see him landing a head coaching job at a school like BGSU, Umass, or a solid D-1AA program. 

You guys realize that when Arth arrived over 70 players were failing at least one class.  Stories of players falling asleep in meetings, missing meetings, constantly tardy, missed workouts, disobedience to coaches and staff was the norm.  No administration is going to allow that.  Hence the complete rebuild.   Give Arth 2 years he will turn it around because of the character and quality young men he is bringing in.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

You guys realize that when Arth arrived over 70 players were failing at least one class.  Stories of players falling asleep in meetings, missing meetings, constantly tardy, missed workouts, disobedience to coaches and staff was the norm.  No administration is going to allow that.  Hence the complete rebuild.   Give Arth 2 years he will turn it around because of the character and quality young men he is bringing in.

Yes, it's a culture thing. Arth weeded out those that weren't going to buy into the culture and perhaps it did cost a win or two so far in his career. But I think the foundation he is building is going to pay off more than whatever setbacks came from it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

Terry Bowden comes off Akron contract February 2021. Where do you think he ends up?He currently is a Grad Assistant at Clemson.

-Do you think he will be hired elsewhere as a head coach, assistant, or retire?

- Personally, I could see him landing a head coaching job at a school like BGSU, Umass, or a solid D-1AA program. 

He'll be 65 in February.  Not a lot of programs looking to hire a coach eligible for Social Security.  Everybody wants a young up and comer.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

41 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He'll be 65 in February.  Not a lot of programs looking to hire a coach eligible for Social Security.  Everybody wants a young up and comer.

But he's a grad assistant....if he dyes his hair he can probably trick someone into thinking he's a young up and comer. Maybe La.-Monroe?

• Like 1

I was ecstatic when UA hired Terry Bowden, but as evidenced by the product on the field:  The game has evolved beyond the Bowden family.  I just can't see him being successful again in D1, unless it's in the deep south as a figurehead. 

But even that...does the Bowden name mean much to kids just coming out of high school?  Probably not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I was ecstatic when UA hired Terry Bowden, but as evidenced by the product on the field:  The game has evolved beyond the Bowden family.  I just can't see him being successful again in D1, unless it's in the deep south as a figurehead. 

But even that...does the Bowden name mean much to kids just coming out of high school?  Probably not.

It means a lot.

Your truly,

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

But he's a grad assistant....if he dyes his hair he can probably trick someone into thinking he's a young up and comer. Maybe La.-Monroe?

Look what the hair dye did for Rudy. Hopefully Terry has more class. I think he does. 

My hopes for the game:

1.  No injuries

2.  Smart disciplined play

3.  Players learn from the game where the team needs to be to be at the top of the MAC

4.  Something to build on going into the off-season

I don't have expectations of this being a good game.  Even of they get hammered, they can take some good from it.  What I do not want to see is trouble getting out the huddle, players lining up incorrectly, undisciplined penalties and unforced errors.  Avoid those and get out talented I can live with that.  Do those and get outcoached and out-efforted and you undo much of last week's growth.