Week 6: Buffalo Bulls

Blue & Gold

18 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

No true fan of Akron football misses Bowden. His last team was a miracle at NW, PAT against Kent, and TD against CMU from being 1-11. And 4/5 games in that dreadful losing streak to close the season were embarrassments. If you're proud of accomplishments like that in year 7 of a coaching regime, you my friend are a LOSER. Raise the F**** standard. I don't see anyone "giving Arth a pass" either, nor should you. If you get $500k to do any job, you don't get a pass. Raise the F**** standard. GO ZIPS!

The loser is the one who fails to recognize the program's achievements under him. Let's recall a few of the highlights:

1. Most wins as a D1 team.

2. First bowl win

3. Two P5 wins (Pitt and NW)

4. Wagon wheel wins (forget how many)

5. Numerous players to make it to an NFL roster

They may not have been what you expected, but there continue to be people on this board out of touch with the realities facing G5 schools.

At the end of Bowden's second season, the team pulled off a signature upset against Toledo. The Zips show no signs of being able to do that. The win against BGSU was like  eating a high school team. 

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 2

ZipNation members understand the accomplishments of coach Bowden. There is little need to continually fill current threads with the history of Coach Bowden. If you would like to post about a former coach, there is an appropriate titled thread, please use it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Why do you say that?

I guess I was surprised that another QB showed up in the last game of the season. Arth has seen enough of Gibson already to know if he will improve to the point where he can be even competent in the MAC. Otherwise, Arth better start now to figure out his next QB. Guess under the circumstances, short season, eligibility  changes I might have worked in other QB's during the season to get a better idea of which direction to go next season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

As with this year, the hard decisions will be coming from higher up the food chain than the Athletic Department.

Agreed. I understand that the AD doesn't make the big decisions about the overall direction of the football program. If the administration decides that the financial situation is really dire, its decision will go far beyond whether coaching changes need to be made. I am sure it is hoping some 'sacrifice' games get played next year so some big paydays come in. If not what happens?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Ward said:

Our O line is not giving the QBs any  protection whatsoever. Our QB is very inaccurate and throws a very strange ball  ( sidearm)and most of the time its an overthrow. Our WRs are very good but it doesn't matter with bad O line play.Again our D line is not talented enough and our DBs lack coverage skills. 

I still have some hope for the O-line for next season. Right now they can not pass block competently. They can run block but when your defense can't help control the game you lose the ability to utilize your decent run game. And, Gibson hasn't really shown the ability to help carry the team when they can't run. Again, I am surprised that the D hasn't shown much improvement over 6 games. Are the players that bad? Are the coaches not able to 'coach 'em up' or come up with competent game plans on defense? What do we thinl?

14 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

No true fan of Akron football misses Bowden. His last team was a miracle at NW, PAT against Kent, and TD against CMU from being 1-11. And 4/5 games in that dreadful losing streak to close the season were embarrassments. If you're proud of accomplishments like that in year 7 of a coaching regime, you my friend are a LOSER. Raise the F**** standard. I don't see anyone "giving Arth a pass" either, nor should you. If you get $500k to do any job, you don't get a pass. Raise the F**** standard. GO ZIPS!

Terry was 5-2 vs Kent State 

1JPbWR5.png
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Again, I am surprised that the D hasn't shown much improvement over 6 games. Are the players that bad? Are the coaches not able to 'coach 'em up' or come up with competent game plans on defense? What do we think?

The overall team hasn’t shown much improvement over the last 18 games. It is the Coaching staff. 

1. struggle with game plan week in and week out

2. do not make mid- game adjustments

3. offensive play calling

4. Third down conversions - starts with play call

5. Adjustment to the blitz in passing situations

6. Do not get playmakers the ball on offense ( besides Dollard)

Very basic offense all year with no creativity. Talent is decent. A good program gets players to buy in and puts the players in the best situation to win every week. I have only seen Akron do this once ( BGSU ) in last 18 games. BGSU was expected W. When players don’t buy in you will see a lot of doubt on the field & lack of confidence. Usually results in a contagious losing mentality & several players transferring. We saw many players opt out pre season and during season. I believe we will continue to see this in Spring 2021.

They have more talent available than they choose to put on the field. Both sides of the ball.  They have forced some of their recruits/ favorites into starting positions while running out experienced guys. Some of the experienced guys have gotten chances over the last 18 games and have showed they can help this team as they are more developed. I do believe some of the young players do belong on the field.. Akron just has been forcing it since day 1 with the new staff.

I was happy they finally got there W. This year of covid football, no fans, bands, pageantry was hard to get into. I think it will take Arth another couple years of recruiting to make us competitive in the MAC. Unfortunately we are going to have to be patient. He can build off the win to build confidence within his players. Its nice that we are no longer the worst in the MAC. Thats an improvement. 

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

I guess I was surprised that another QB showed up in the last game of the season. Arth has seen enough of Gibson already to know if he will improve to the point where he can be even competent in the MAC. Otherwise, Arth better start now to figure out his next QB. Guess under the circumstances, short season, eligibility  changes I might have worked in other QB's during the season to get a better idea of which direction to go next season.

Agree 100%.  I would have rotated a couple other QB’s in as well during the blowouts.

I do, however, think Gibson was on the sideline during the 4th quarter yesterday because he hurt his shoulder while getting sacked?

However, I really don’t think Gibson is the answer at QB.  I’m crossing my fingers the JUCO we’re bringing in has an immediate impact.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I still have some hope for the O-line for next season. Right now they can not pass block competently. They can run block but when your defense can't help control the game you lose the ability to utilize your decent run game. And, Gibson hasn't really shown the ability to help carry the team when they can't run. Again, I am surprised that the D hasn't shown much improvement over 6 games. Are the players that bad? Are the coaches not able to 'coach 'em up' or come up with competent game plans on defense? What do we thinl?

I also have hope for the OL.  This year, they played 4 red shirt freshman and a senior.  The only other upper classmen scholarship players are Muldowney and Fonte.  Next year, I believe that will get Corne back and he will be a huge addition.  They have 3 good freshman and 3 good recruits.  I think the OL will be strong for years.  

The DL is very young also, with the exception of Mitchell and Cross, and I am sorry to say, they are not very good.  I am hoping for a JUCO or grad transfer or 2 for the DL, but we shall see.  If not, next year will probably be bad also as the young players mature.  If all of the OL and DL can add 10-15 lb muscle and get in better shape, there will be an improvement.  

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Agreed. I understand that the AD doesn't make the big decisions about the overall direction of the football program. If the administration decides that the financial situation is really dire, its decision will go far beyond whether coaching changes need to be made. I am sure it is hoping some 'sacrifice' games get played next year so some big paydays come in. If not what happens?

If the vaccine program goes well we should be on the road to recovery by late spring and next fall should be nearly back to normal. At least I'm hoping.

3 hours ago, dre22era said:

Terry was 5-2 vs Kent State 

1JPbWR5.png

Should've been 6-1. Cost himself another shot at a bowl by laying an egg on Black Friday. ?

Now please move on. Or at least get back to complaining about Groce, a very successful Akron champion. Just talk about the present instead of living in 2015. 

Edited by LoyalZIP
Typo

42 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Should've been 6-1. Cost himself another shot at a bowl by laying an egg on Black Friday. ?

Now please move on. Or at least get back to complaining about Groce, a very successful Akron champion. Just talk about the present instead of living in 2015. 

Yeh and you go ahead and continue on defending a pile of S-H-I-T

Edited by dre22era

18 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

The loser is the one who fails to recognize the program's achievements under him. Let's recall a few of the highlights:

1. Most wins as a D1 team.

2. First bowl win

3. Two P5 wins (Pitt and NW)

4. Wagon wheel wins (forget how many)

5. Numerous players to make it to an NFL roster

They may not have been what you expected, but there continue to be people on this board out of touch with the realities facing G5 schools.

At the end of Bowden's second season, the team pulled off a signature upset against Toledo. The Zips show no signs of being able to do that. The win against BGSU was like  eating a high school team. 

I believe Faust and possibly Owens had better winning percentages than Bowden (I'm not taking the time to check) and Brookhart has the only MACC of the bunch, but that doesn't mean I want any ot them back either.  Williams moved on from Bowden and I wish you would as well.  If the members of ZNO had voted and collectively fired Bowden for Arth  I would understand the Bowden posts 2 years later, but that's not the case.

Lastly, before you respond to this.....being ok with not bringing Bowden back does not mean being pro-Arth or pro-Williams so please don't attack as an Arth'er.   It looks like a terrible hire and my guess is both the coach and AD will be done here when their contracts are up.  

Future QB

Earlier in this train, there was discussion regarding Gibson and who should qb next year.  There were some comments that the JUCO , DJ Irons, should be the man.  I went back and watched HUDL tapes of Irons, Gibson, Marousek, and Jankowski.  I know the tapes are set up with only the best plays, but based on what I saw, Marousek looked the best on the tape.  Let's see what happens between now and next fall.  I am not including DeShields in the mix.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Future QB

Earlier in this train, there was discussion regarding Gibson and who should qb next year.  There were some comments that the JUCO , DJ Irons, should be the man.  I went back and watched HUDL tapes of Irons, Gibson, Marousek, and Jankowski.  I know the tapes are set up with only the best plays, but based on what I saw, Marousek looked the best on the tape.  Let's see what happens between now and next fall.  I am not including DeShields in the mix.  

Thanks for checking that out. I know Marousek's knee got torn up in high school, so I'm assuming that's why we didn't see him in action this year. I'm hoping he can compete in spring and fall so Gibson is either forced to improve or gets pushed back on the depth chart as he should if Akron is to get better.

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Future QB

Has kato Nelson left?

It seems like it really doesn’t matter unless your a Relevant big power 5 team?OSU didn’t play the minimum games to qualify for there League championship or a bowl, and yet they still got waved in? So you can win them all in the MAC or lose them all? The whole BIG 10 came back just so OSU could make more money during COVID-19?Give Tom Arth all the time he needs?