Week 6: Buffalo Bulls

Blue & Gold

9 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

The overall team hasn’t shown much improvement over the last 18 games. It is the Coaching staff. 

1. struggle with game plan week in and week out

2. do not make mid- game adjustments

3. offensive play calling

4. Third down conversions - starts with play call

5. Adjustment to the blitz in passing situations

6. Do not get playmakers the ball on offense ( besides Dollard)

Very basic offense all year with no creativity. Talent is decent. A good program gets players to buy in and puts the players in the best situation to win every week. I have only seen Akron do this once ( BGSU ) in last 18 games. BGSU was expected W. When players don’t buy in you will see a lot of doubt on the field & lack of confidence. Usually results in a contagious losing mentality & several players transferring. We saw many players opt out pre season and during season. I believe we will continue to see this in Spring 2021.

They have more talent available than they choose to put on the field. Both sides of the ball.  They have forced some of their recruits/ favorites into starting positions while running out experienced guys. Some of the experienced guys have gotten chances over the last 18 games and have showed they can help this team as they are more developed. I do believe some of the young players do belong on the field.. Akron just has been forcing it since day 1 with the new staff.

Zippy you raise thoughts about the coaching staff and that usually brings out a variety of strong opinions, especially amongst the crowd that won't accept Bowden's firing. I do and I'm glad he's gone. There is one thing about this staff that to me is fact, not opinion. It is that they will have to grow into the position of a competent staff. They aren't there yet, but if they can grow I'm OK with that. I like that they (Arth) are character driven. I have no issue with not playing any player who is not meeting their standards, on and off the field. I do have an issue with them not showing they can improve the product during the course of the season. Last year we showed no growth. This year was the same except for Dollard and I consider him to be akin to catching lightning in a bottle by accident. If Arth can learn to be a competent HC and his staff can keep up I will give him the life of his contract to show it. 

One thing is for certain though. Williams never thought he would be hiring a "learning on the job" coach. But he, and us, are stuck with him. He's got three more years. Good luck coach. We need and deserve a better product. It remains to be seen if you have the staff that can "coach 'em up".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Zippy you raise thoughts about the coaching staff and that usually brings out a variety of strong opinions, especially amongst the crowd that won't accept Bowden's firing. I do and I'm glad he's gone. There is one thing about this staff that to me is fact, not opinion. It is that they will have to grow into the position of a competent staff. They aren't there yet, but if they can grow I'm OK with that. I like that they (Arth) are character driven. I have no issue with not playing any player who is not meeting their standards, on and off the field. I do have an issue with them not showing they can improve the product during the course of the season. Last year we showed no growth. This year was the same except for Dollard and I consider him to be akin to catching lightning in a bottle by accident. If Arth can learn to be a competent HC and his staff can keep up I will give him the life of his contract to show it. 

One thing is for certain though. Williams never thought he would be hiring a "learning on the job" coach. But he, and us, are stuck with him. He's got three more years. Good luck coach. We need and deserve a better product. It remains to be seen if you have the staff that can "coach 'em up".

Your post struck a good chord with me in that you are one of the few on here to ackowledge that one can be critical of Arth and Bowden at the same time.  Since Bowden's departure people want to characterize everyone on here as Pro-Bowden/Anti-Arth or Pro-Arth/Anti-Bowden.

I for one was anti-Bowden and my jury is still out on Arth, and I am critical of some of the things I have seen.  At one win in two years, the jury is definitely leaning towards convicting Arth but it is still out.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

This guy should have at least been given a chance to take the program into D1. Would he have been better than Faust? Who knows. But he ran the last consistently winning program at Akron.

I admire Dennison greatly. He is a great guy and good to all he meets. He was always very kind to me. But he was not as successful as some may believe. While in the OVC he had a losing record against the better coaches, Roy Kidd at EKU, Boots Donnelly at MTSU, Jim Feix at WKU and Frank Beamer at Murray State. He beat up Tenn Tech, Morehead, Austin Peay, YSU, etc. Yet against the best he lost regularly. He did the best with what he had but he was not ready for D1 football. We needed to look elsewhere. As a man he will always stand tall in my eyes. Despite his record I regard him as a credit to the Akron coaching brotherhood.  

On 12/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

He'll be 65 in February.  Not a lot of programs looking to hire a coach eligible for Social Security.  Everybody wants a young up and comer.

Jokes on you @clarkwgriswold . I bet you a 65 year old Terry Bowden wins more games next season than Akron. And he will have half the excuses when they lose !!! 

On 12/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, Zippy1986 said:

Jokes on you @clarkwgriswold . I bet you a 65 year old Terry Bowden wins more games next season than Akron. And he will have half the excuses when they lose !!! 

Exactly Zippy.  I won't guess as to what their record will be as I am not familiar with the program, but on whether he'd be hired at 65 I was just plain damn wrong!

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Thanks 1