Week 5: BUGS

Blue & Gold

4 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Certainly the best since Brett Biggs in '04-'05. 

4 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

They list Dollard a 5-11/ 205#. Is he fast enough to play on Sunday's?

He's better than Biggs, although that was who came to mind first for me. Biggs had a better offense around him to open things up. Hixon, Getsy, etc.

He is. He looks like Chunt - Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb. Shifty like Chubb, shoots through the holes, etc. Physical like both. He could easily be a mid round pick when he comes out.

My assessment of the program:

Defense we need Defensive lineman period.   We are overmatched physically and need to improve.  LBs are ok need more athleticism on the outside.  DBs will evolve with experience, need off season weight room and they will be fine. 

Offense contrary to some people's post has been a 100% turn around from last season. Hard to believe that they are playing 6-7 Freshman every game on offense.  The OL will be fine with experience.   WRs best position group on the team. Need to recruit a couple of TEs.  Other than Brank we seem to have none.   Gibson is the QB, kid has a cannon and he won the job and has a good grasp of the offense.  He will only get better and potentially could play 4 more years.  Kato and Juco kid Irons will provide good competition in the spring.  My guess is that Gibson and Kato will be the QBs for 2021.  

Coaches have to do better as well.  Communication with player's needs to improve.  Offensively we have NO intermediate passing and only threw one pass over 25yrds on Saturday.   All of these short passes keep the offense from being  more explosive.    We have the Wrs to go deep so let's use them.  

Let's just hope we can compete on Saturday and make it a game vs Buffalo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, monrowe said:

Dennis Kennedy 05-09? 

I thought about Kennedy also. Think he was a transfer from OSU, not sure. Thing about Kennedy was he didn't always show up on every play. He also ran too much east-west at times. Didn't like to hit the holes hard. He got better during his senior year. Biggs had no fear running inside and showed up every play. Looks like Dollard has that same attitude and is bigger a little faster than Biggs.

Hope Arth can put some better offensive pieces around him next season. Whoever the QB is will have to take some heat off the run game. At least there is hope on that side of the ball.

I am/was a huge Biggs fan. Was he the most talented RB? Not by a long shot. He knew one important thing. It takes zero talent to work hard. Through hard work, he transformed a team that was destined for a miserable season and turned them into winners. 

I haven't seen the Zips play a single play this year, but if this RB is working as hard as advised and is transforming the culture of the team, we may have someone far better than Biggs. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I haven't seen the Zips play a single play this year, but if this RB is working as hard as advised and is transforming the culture of the team, we may have someone far better than Biggs. 

Transferring is so easy right now, and most people believe TD could play at a higher college level. I hope he sticks around for two more years. He is a difference-maker we desperately need. But I have to believe some program will try prying him away.

On 12/9/2020 at 4:04 PM, GP1 said:

I am/was a huge Biggs fan. Was he the most talented RB? Not by a long shot. He knew one important thing. It takes zero talent to work hard. Through hard work, he transformed a team that was destined for a miserable season and turned them into winners. 

I agree with part of this. Looks like Dollard will be the best SINCE Biggs. Don't agree that he didn't have talent, however. And, J.D. brought in some other important pieces to supplement what Owens had left him. Getsy was a big part of the reason that team did what it did in '05.He was a good game manager for J.D.'s offense. So was Hixon, and some of the O-line. Certainly can't argue that Biggs, by example was a leader on that team. That was still my favorite Akron team since they went D-1. Maybe the current regime can pull this thing together so the Zips can become competitive again.