Week 5: BUGS

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Zippy1986 said:

Nice win to end the streak. Arth needed this one. This win was expected as Akron were favorites in this game. Almost half of BGSU roster were true freshman.

A couple discussion points..

1. Defense: Bubba set the tone on defense as a true leader with his consistency and playmaking ability. Let’s get him some help in 2021. Should the staff bring in multiple defensive ready to play juco/ P5 transfer players or continue to build the freshman route?

2. QB: Zach Gibson. Is he our future or do we need to bring in help? Sub-par performance today against a bad team. I’m guessing Kato is moving on from Akron.

3. Offense/ Run: was executed well today as expected. Teon had a nice game. Boogie looked really good on his lonesome drive. Why don’t they share touches or play Boogie in the slot sometimes? He looks like he could help us. We saw a glimpse of RBBC in week 1 against western Michigan. 

4. Offense / pass: a few nice plays by the WRs. Stewart needs to be more involved. Need to be more creative with play calls to keep D off balance and get playmakers involved. Mix in occasional shot play. Good teams will stack box and make Gibson beat you ( Miami week 4). 

5. 4th Quarter: I disagree with leaving Teon in the game. The game was decided and the weather was ugly. It was almost like they were trying to pad his stats. If he is our future, we need to take care of him. Let’s mix in backups and young players for the last couple drives. 

Great day to be a Zips fan! Let’s build off of this for 2021

Nice win for everyone. Agree with you about leaving Teon in the game that long. Give Boogie the reps. Also, I hate saying this but Gibson is not the future. I think he lacks a lot of mental intangibles.We need to go  out and get some more QBs. OL still a little shaky but getting better. D had a much better day .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

Nice win to end the streak. Arth needed this one. This win was expected as Akron were favorites in this game. Almost half of BGSU roster were true freshman.

A couple discussion points..

1. Defense: Bubba set the tone on defense as a true leader with his consistency and playmaking ability. Let’s get him some help in 2021. Should the staff bring in multiple defensive ready to play juco/ P5 transfer players or continue to build the freshman route?

2. QB: Zach Gibson. Is he our future or do we need to bring in help? Sub-par performance today against a bad team. I’m guessing Kato is moving on from Akron.

3. Offense/ Run: was executed well today as expected. Teon had a nice game. Boogie looked really good on his lonesome drive. Why don’t they share touches or play Boogie in the slot sometimes? He looks like he could help us. We saw a glimpse of RBBC in week 1 against western Michigan. 

4. Offense / pass: a few nice plays by the WRs. Stewart needs to be more involved. Need to be more creative with play calls to keep D off balance and get playmakers involved. Mix in occasional shot play. Good teams will stack box and make Gibson beat you ( Miami week 4). 

5. 4th Quarter: I disagree with leaving Teon in the game. The game was decided and the weather was ugly. It was almost like they were trying to pad his stats. If he is our future, we need to take care of him. Let’s mix in backups and young players for the last couple drives. 

Great day to be a Zips fan! Let’s build off of this for 2021

Very good analysis.  A couple of comments:

1. Bubba had 16 tackles per the stats.  I thought he had more.

2. If not Gibson, who is our future QB?  is it the Marousek or the guy from Florida who starts in January?

3/4 - Offensively, BGSU outgained the Zips.  Akron won the ground game, and BG won the air game.

5. I agree.  With 5 minutes remaining, I wanted to see some of the frosh who see little to no time.  It will not count as a season due to the rules this year.  

Defense - I said this in another post, but look at the transfer portal.  It is full of players from P5 schools.  Let's get a DL, Lb, and DB for next year while we continue to grow the young players.  

Freshman - Also, Akron has a similar number of FR and R-FR as BGSU.  Many are walk on, so I am not sure they will have an impact.  But, many position groups are very young.  Look at the scholarship chart.

• Like 2

Regarding QB, I think you are looking at a competition between Gibson, Deshields, Marousek, and the JUCO QB next year. I wouldn't count on Jankowski since he's a true freshman. Regardless, I expect/hope one of those 4 can at least be a solid MAC QB. I don't write off Gibson yet, but he needs competition for sure and I think the coaches realize that too. Other posters said it was a close race with Deshields.

Much better competition at the position than with Terry Bowden. I'm old enough to remember we finished the season against Ohio with WR Tyrell Goodman playing QB (and a drop from Jojo Natson away from winning).

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Regarding QB, I think you are looking at a competition between Gibson, Deshields, Marousek, and the JUCO QB next year. I wouldn't count on Jankowski since he's a true freshman. Regardless, I expect/hope one of those 4 can at least be a solid MAC QB. I don't write off Gibson yet, but he needs competition for sure and I think the coaches realize that too. Other posters said it was a close race with Deshields.

Much better competition at the position than with Terry Bowden. I'm old enough to remember we finished the season against Ohio with WR Tyrell Goodman playing QB (and a drop from Jojo Natson away from winning).

Regarding the QB competition, I would remove Deshields from the group.  I do not know anything about the JUCO qb.  If spring practice were to go on like it normally did, then I would add Jankowski to the group.  This would allow him to learn the offense and compete in the fall.  His stats and tape were excellent.  What everyone has to realize is that there will be 1-2 transfers after the winner is declared.

I do remember Goodman playing QB.  I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Kato Nelson was a freshman and Bowden was red shirting him.  Nelson would have been a better option at the time, but we lost games to save Nelson, and now he is not playing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I've seen some talk elsewhere about BG having 60 freshman and giving them time/using that to excuse the loss. Its not like we have 58. Feels good to be ahead of them at this point in the rebuild. Lot of similarities regarding the current state of each program.

The question is can TA out-recruit BUGS over the next 2-3 years? I hope so but he'll have to show me.

3 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

Gibson doesn't instill much confidence in me as a starting QB.  He'd have to make a Loren Christian Jackson-type leap next year to be able to lead a team to victory.

I'm hoping DJ Irons, our JUCO QB recruit, can come in and start right away.  Last year (redshirt freshman) he was an honorable mention All-American who ended the season completing 115 of 185 passes (62.2 percent) for 2,039 yards and 21 touchdowns (with only 5 INT's) & also rushing for five scores.

Here are his hudl highlights.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Kato's dad is confident Kato will be back & leading the team next season.

Kato's dad is a little over the top, but if you follow him on twitter he's extremely positive not just for Kato, but for everyone in the program and is very complimentary toward Gibson as well.

Here's an example:

Edited by Blue & Gold

If you ain't proud of those boys, please see yourself out. That was everything they needed to do. They made plays in all three phases and it was fun, and the celebrations put the biggest smile on my face!!!

As for the game. Our youth > their youth. That's awesome. At the same time, they beat us by what 30 last year? WTF happened to them?? I think the 2019 Zips would've given them a run for their money. That was Loeffler's QB he brought with him from Boston College. I don't think he could start for the Firestone Falcons. 

Gibson won't be any good here. Bad mechanics and horrid decision making. I like his attitude but he's not the future. I like the LCJ analogy made above, I'd love to see a bounce-back like that. 

Cheers, friends! Akron football won a game today!

• Like 1

1. Really happy for these kids to finally get a W

2. Liked what I saw out of Watts at corner. Needed much less 6 on the field. 

3. Teon is a stud and should only get better as this young line gets stronger.

4. Speaking of the line, there's still too many jailbreaks. A combination of slow footwork and not recognizing assignments. I think it's fixable as I've seen some great seal blocks, especially from Grey. 

5. Need to figure out the QB immediately. An average MAC QB gets you 4-5 wins next year. 

6. It's a treat to watch Bubba play. Reminds me a lot of Jay Roher.

If I am Arth I'm taking the entire team to any Covid hot spot I can think of so they don't have to travel to Buffalo next week. 

I kid I kid

Edited by gozips19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A defensive lineman for the Zips had THREE tackles for a loss!?!? When is the last time that happened? Congratulations Ja'Quize. (honorable mention, Bubba with two)

Nice effort by the defense keeping BG out of the end zone all day. I would have never predicted that. 

Looking at the stats you'd never guess we had won by 28

BUGS ... Akron

First Downs: 13 ...15

Rushes-yards: 38-160 ... 39-195

Passing yards: 135 ... 87

Return yards: 134 ... 49

Punts-average: 4-19.8 ... 5-37.0

Fumbles-lost: 2-2 ... 2-0

Penalties-yards: 3-35 ... 3-12

TOP: 29.55 ... 30:05

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Looking at the stats you'd never guess we had won by 28

BUGS ... Akron

First Downs: 13 ...15

Rushes-yards: 38-160 ... 39-195

Passing yards: 135 ... 87

Return yards: 134 ... 49

Punts-average: 4-19.8 ... 5-37.0

Fumbles-lost: 2-2 ... 2-0

Penalties-yards: 3-35 ... 3-12

TOP: 29.55 ... 30:05

Turnovers and the blocked punt.  Some of BUGS' playcalling helped too.  

8 hours ago, gozips19 said:

1. Really happy for these kids to finally get a W

2. Liked what I saw out of Watts at corner. Needed much less 6 on the field. 

3. Teon is a stud and should only get better as this young line gets stronger.

4. Speaking of the line, there's still too many jailbreaks. A combination of slow footwork and not recognizing assignments. I think it's fixable as I've seen some great seal blocks, especially from Grey. 

5. Need to figure out the QB immediately. An average MAC QB gets you 4-5 wins next year. 

6. It's a treat to watch Bubba play. Reminds me a lot of Jay Roher.

If I am Arth I'm taking the entire team to any Covid hot spot I can think of so they don't have to travel to Buffalo next week. 

I kid I kid

Nice assessment ! Why are we not giving Hawkins ( juco boy) a shot at taking snaps?

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

Nice assessment ! Why are we not giving Hawkins ( juco boy) a shot at taking snaps?

I imagine the coaches get a look at him in practice. He's a walk-on. Probably wouldn't know who he is if it weren't for a few twitter accounts hyping him.

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I imagine the coaches get a look at him in practice. He's a walk-on. Probably wouldn't know who he is if it weren't for a few twitter accounts hyping him.

Well if they had the desire to bring him in ,Arth must of seen something ,so throw him in and see what you get. How would it hurt? Nothing counts now anyways. I would play every boy I have questions about to see what they can do. I have seen a lot of gamers in my time. 

Watts looked good at CB.  I liked him at S because he's such a playmaker I don't like to limit him to one side of the field.  But we needed him at CB and he showed out.

Randy Cochran Jr. also had a really good game at DB.  He was always around the ball and is a sure tackler.  He played at CB and was our nickleback while Charles Amankwaa manned the corner opposite Watts.  (I think.  It's difficult to watch DB's on tv)

I like Corey Thomas and Jaylen Kelly-Powell at the safety positions.  Thomas moves so smoothly for a 6-4 athlete and Kelly-Powell brings some veteran savvy to the field - something of which we are in short supply.

Our punting left a lot to be desired.  Line drives just begging to be returned.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

They have to get a win.  That would be a major step and get them in the top 200.

Play whoever gives you the best chance to win.  Is Kato healthy enough to play?  

You were correct once again sir.

Jeff Sagarin now has the Zips at 192, behind only 65 FCS teams.

• Like 1