2020-21 Zips Women's Basketball

ewbrooman1

Despite getting only half as many free throw attempts (13 vs 26), Zips connected on 13 of 25 three-pointers,

to just 6 of 21 for the Flyers.  Great 3-0 start to the season.  Next match is @UBuffalo, one of the preseason MAC favorites.  They'll be looking for revenge for our victory at their place last season.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401266880

56 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Watched replay.  Women's BB seems aot chipper than Men's.  Jordyn Dawson ejected at the end when she tried to hit Dayton player in the face.  They are a tough and scrappy group.

Jordyn has a lot of the street in her. She needs to mature more and show she can handle the other team getting into her head or at least trying to.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Despite getting only half as many free throw attempts (13 vs 26), Zips connected on 13 of 25 three-pointers,

to just 6 of 21 for the Flyers.  Great 3-0 start to the season.  Next match is @UBuffalo, one of the preseason MAC favorites.  They'll be looking for revenge for our victory at their place last season.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401266880

They did return the favor by beating us by 15 at the JAR, so maybe that takes away a bit from the revenge factor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, LoyalZIP said:

They're terrible.

For those who don't regularly follow 

MAC women's hoops, the women's competition is at a considerably higher level than the men's has achieved in recent years.  There simply are no breaks in the schedule -- even more so with the rise of Bowling Green and those at the bottom.  Coach Jackson's team has not gone backwards, the rest of the league has just stepped over the Zips.

I don't have the RPI or national rankings available (does anyone?), but I would venture the bottom of the league -- us, NIU, the non-central Michigan directionals are very close to #200, while in MAC men's BB that's about the mid-point of the league.  It's not going to be easy to become more competitive in MAC play, but what I've heard about the 2021 recruiting class sounds upbeat and I'm remaining hopeful about the team's prospects.  There's a guard from Indy coming in who appears to be at a level that would make her one of the conference's top newcomers in next year's frosh class. Keep the faith!

6 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

For those who don't regularly follow 

MAC women's hoops, the women's competition is at a considerably higher level than the men's has achieved in recent years.  There simply are no breaks in the schedule -- even more so with the rise of Bowling Green and those at the bottom.  Coach Jackson's team has not gone backwards, the rest of the league has just stepped over the Zips.

I don't have the RPI or national rankings available (does anyone?), but I would venture the bottom of the league -- us, NIU, the non-central Michigan directionals are very close to #200, while in MAC men's BB that's about the mid-point of the league.  It's not going to be easy to become more competitive in MAC play, but what I've heard about the 2021 recruiting class sounds upbeat and I'm remaining hopeful about the team's prospects.  There's a guard from Indy coming in who appears to be at a level that would make her one of the conference's top newcomers in next year's frosh class. Keep the faith!

I try to remain hopeful as well. But over the last 5 years or so, I've watched a decent amount of Akron women's basketball and I can comfortably say the program that Jodi Kest built into a legit powerhouse for about a 4-5 year stretch is completely gone. The two seasons before this, there was definitely some hope as they took down some giants here and there and hung around til late in the season to make things interesting, only to lose two consecutive MAC tournament home games. They haven't played a MAC tournament game in Cleveland since 2016, and I don't see this group doing that either.

The most glaring issue to me is player development. They bring in good players who are good students and good people. That's awesome! But when watching the same players over the course of the last 3 years, I can comfortably say that not a single one has gotten significantly better. Jordyn Dawson has the same skillset and abilities, the Neitzel sisters are still largely hit or miss, the guard from last year Shaunay Edmonds was the same guard as a senior that she was as a freshman. So yes, as the rest of the league gets better, Akron remains what it has been. I think the in-game coaching is fine for the most part, but could use some work. The issues are far beyond things like that, though. 

On 1/25/2021 at 3:37 AM, LoyalZIP said:

I try to remain hopeful as well. But over the last 5 years or so, I've watched a decent amount of Akron women's basketball and I can comfortably say the program that Jodi Kest built into a legit powerhouse for about a 4-5 year stretch is completely gone. The two seasons before this, there was definitely some hope as they took down some giants here and there and hung around til late in the season to make things interesting, only to lose two consecutive MAC tournament home games. They haven't played a MAC tournament game in Cleveland since 2016, and I don't see this group doing that either.

The most glaring issue to me is player development. They bring in good players who are good students and good people. That's awesome! But when watching the same players over the course of the last 3 years, I can comfortably say that not a single one has gotten significantly better. Jordyn Dawson has the same skillset and abilities, the Neitzel sisters are still largely hit or miss, the guard from last year Shaunay Edmonds was the same guard as a senior that she was as a freshman. So yes, as the rest of the league gets better, Akron remains what it has been. I think the in-game coaching is fine for the most part, but could use some work. The issues are far beyond things like that, though. 

Good analysis.  I share your concerns.  Of course the fact that coach Kest's assistant got this job despite the program's severe decline from its MAC champion team is evidence enough that the resources simply aren't there for any upgrade that the university could provide.  I have a level of confidence that they can become a little more competitive as the group matures and talent improves slightly -- Jackson has been a pretty good recruiter and recruiting has improved somewhat since the late Kest years.  I'm a big fan of the women's game and will continue following and cheering on this team.  Thanks for your support of the WBB team.

• Like 1

Tonight will be another tough one with a rematch against Buffalo. To me the third quarter of the first game was the season turning point or when reality set in for the team this year. They were 3-0 and sailing along with a 15 point lead with about three minutes left in the 3Q when the roof caved in. I root for this team as much if not more than the men because I feel like I know the players a little more than the men and the assortment of transfers, one year players , jucos etc. that so many of the men's teams in D1 basketball have become. It's nice to see a player for 3-4 years and watch them develop. That being said, I'm no coach/recruiter but I just don't see the consistent skill level on this team being able to compete with the top half of the conference. And if they keep getting crushed on the boards not much will improve. There is a lot of reference to the team being young but they began the year starting one senior, three juniors and a sophomore. Three juniors should really be stepping up at this time. Dawson is fine, but she is trying to do too much to make up for others. I hope they can step it up and turn things around a bit starting tonight. Go Zips!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Tonight will be another tough one with a rematch against Buffalo. To me the third quarter of the first game was the season turning point or when reality set in for the team this year. They were 3-0 and sailing along with a 15 point lead with about three minutes left in the 3Q when the roof caved in. I root for this team as much if not more than the men because I feel like I know the players a little more than the men and the assortment of transfers, one year players , jucos etc. that so many of the men's teams in D1 basketball have become. It's nice to see a player for 3-4 years and watch them develop. That being said, I'm no coach/recruiter but I just don't see the consistent skill level on this team being able to compete with the top half of the conference. And if they keep getting crushed on the boards not much will improve. There is a lot of reference to the team being young but they began the year starting one senior, three juniors and a sophomore. Three juniors should really be stepping up at this time. Dawson is fine, but she is trying to do too much to make up for others. I hope they can step it up and turn things around a bit starting tonight. Go Zips!

Wow, so much for turning things around. Zips run out to a 20-4 lead only to trail at half 28-26 and lose 77-55. Just awful. This team needs a lot of fixing. ?

20 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

On a Saturday when coincidentally all bottom three MAC women's teams threatened upsets, only the Zips hold on pull out an 89-84 win in OT at Muncie. Key was a 29-12 3Q to take the lead. ?

Sorry, make that 21-12 3Q. My bad. Still good. 

Edited by ewbrooman1