2020-21 Zips Women's Basketball

ewbrooman1

Zips women fall at Kalamazoo 74-66 in a Wednesday afternoon matinee game (why?). Zips had 25 turnovers vs 20 for WMU. If you have any intention of watching the replay, don't expect to see the final minute or so. The feed inexplicably switched to an overhead view of the Wofford men in early warmups. ? Not that the outcome was really in doubt.

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips women fall at Kalamazoo 74-66 in a Wednesday afternoon matinee game (why?). Zips had 25 turnovers vs 20 for WMU. If you have any intention of watching the replay, don't expect to see the final minute or so. The feed inexplicably switched to an overhead view of the Wofford men in early warmups. ? Not that the outcome was really in doubt.

Melissa Jackson's contract is for how long?

Ugh. Zips lose at home 75-62 to previously 8-9 (4-8 MAC), Toledo - losers of 5 in a row. This was the kind of game you just can't lose if you are going to make a move to improve and finish the season on an upswing. The Zips even led by 1 at the half with Dawson on the bench most of the time in foul trouble. Toledo won the 3Q 26-13 to take over the game. The Zips next game as of now is not for 11 days. Hopefully they can find some answers. Next game is at last place Miami who has threatened to upset Can't, CMU and Ball State the last 3 games. 

On 2/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, ewbrooman1 said:

Ugh. Zips lose at home 75-62 to previously 8-9 (4-8 MAC), Toledo - losers of 5 in a row. This was the kind of game you just can't lose if you are going to make a move to improve and finish the season on an upswing. The Zips even led by 1 at the half with Dawson on the bench most of the time in foul trouble. Toledo won the 3Q 26-13 to take over the game. The Zips next game as of now is not for 11 days. Hopefully they can find some answers. Next game is at last place Miami who has threatened to upset Can't, CMU and Ball State the last 3 games. 

Miami starts fast in the first half at Toledo and holds on to upset the Rockets 62-60. Look out Zips.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Are you referring to this starting lineup?

Yes and who they play off the bench and the style of play. They've been playing kind of an inside out motion with Molly Neitzel by having her take mid range jumpers while Brewer hangs out in there with her. Tecca spots up while Dawson creates and Ferrell has developed a great perimeter shot as well.

• Like 1

Two RS (Yet first year) freshmen, Emma Tecca and Layne Ferrell (who played 39 of 40 minutes) have moved from the far end of the bench at the start of the year to starters as they close.  Along with Soph Lo Brewer those three represent the next four years for Akron.  Hopefully this shows the youngsters finally coming into their own, and the team developing a chemistry.  They had to dig deep to beat this really good Ohio team with raw talent.  First game between the teams was a 30-point blowout in Appalachia.  Cierra Hooks is a special player, who could play ANYWHERE.  But they only have a 6-player lineup -- that's why they're not on top of the MAC.  Our depth was a big part of holding them off Wednesday.  Hope the team can keep this emotion going to CLE.

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The youth on this team is great and no one loses a year of eligibility 💪💪

Hopefully Dawson will be back.  She's still our best player and the best on the team at driving the ball for her own shot.

I believe she is coming back

Dawson hurts the team as much as she helps. Her turnovers are high and it is because she shows poor judgement in trying to make something happen when the  opportunity is not there. Rather she needs to learn how to dish off to her teammates before she is totally covered with nowhere to go, especially in the paint. There are times she doesn't even come close to being a team player. Her raw talent is exceptional, but Jackson needs to coach her into using it for what is best for the team and not Dawson's ppg. 

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Dawson hurts the team as much as she helps. Her turnovers are high and it is because she shows poor judgement in trying to make something happen when the  opportunity is not there. Rather she needs to learn how to dish off to her teammates before she is totally covered with nowhere to go, especially in the paint. There are times she doesn't even come close to being a team player. Her raw talent is exceptional, but Jackson needs to coach her into using it for what is best for the team and not Dawson's ppg. 

Very well said. I think she could be one of the best players in the league if she was coached better. A lot of times, it's hard to see what direction they are going with the offense when she is all over the place. Also, I would limit her to 3 15+ foot jumpshots a a game and if she hits one of those 3, she earns the chance to shoot another. There are enough decent shooters on the team (need one more) that she shouldn't be shooting from out there. Granted her career perimeter shooting statistics aren't terrible, it's clear her jumpshot is very flat and reminds me of a worse Greg Tribble jumper. As I've said before, this coaching staff has shown a tremendous inability to develop players with many of them being just as good as seniors as they were as freshman. Now that we see the potential with the personnel, I would love to see them make something of it in the future. They haven't played a game in Cleveland in the tournament since 2016 I believe. 

I think Dawson has played pretty well considering the lack of support for  most of the season. She also was  basically

moved to point guard midseason because of lack of impact from the other point guards. She does try to do too much at times and it gets her into trouble which can be frustrating to watch. Hopefully now with others developing and some coaching she will cut back on her bad plays and take advantage of the others around her. She's an excellent passer and can improve others' games.

Edited by ewbrooman1

If someone isn't interested in the remainder of the MAC season because the Zips are out then hit the back button.  This is going to be a great tournament!  For those who don't follow, CMU, Buffalo and Ohio each feature an all-America caliber player on really exciting teams.  And Bowling Green managed to get the top seed yet!!  Any of those teams are capable of making the Sweet 16 or beyond.  I can't wait to see some of this #MACtion!!!

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2021/03/check-out-the-bracket-for-the-2021-mac-womens-basketball-tournament.html

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 4:57 PM, Z.I.P. said:

If someone isn't interested in the remainder of the MAC season because the Zips are out then hit the back button.  This is going to be a great tournament!  For those who don't follow, CMU, Buffalo and Ohio each feature an all-America caliber player on really exciting teams.  And Bowling Green managed to get the top seed yet!!  Any of those teams are capable of making the Sweet 16 or beyond.  I can't wait to see some of this #MACtion!!!

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2021/03/check-out-the-bracket-for-the-2021-mac-womens-basketball-tournament.html

I thought a bit about going up on Friday but am not particularly keen on the 10 am start. I have enjoyed the Buffalo and CMU runs in recent years.

6 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I thought a bit about going up on Friday but am not particularly keen on the 10 am start. I have enjoyed the Buffalo and CMU runs in recent years.

The Buffalo vs. CMU game in 2019 was one of the best college basketball games I've ever attended

24 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The Buffalo vs. CMU game in 2019 was one of the best college basketball games I've ever attended

I was there, too. I was really looking forward to two good games with four teams that were all capable of winning the tournament. Miami spoiled that when they got pasted by OU in the second game. Then their coach left for Marquette and they fell off dramatically.