Game 2- St. Bonaventure

clarkwgriswold

50 of their 68 points have come in the paint. I'm sure we've been out rebounded by a large margin as well. Freeman might be a feel good story, but he isn't the answer this year and needs to put on 20 lbs of muscle to be any sort of force in the paint. We need Currie or Aziz to be able to contribute meaningful minutes this season to spell Reece and his inevitable foul trouble he'll run into.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Welp, that partially explains the shooting.

The intensity differences in this game are why I was pissed about Cedarville being the "warmup" game. We've had to figure out DI speed on the fly against a good team. 

With 2 OOC games this is basically an exhibition. Not that we ever reeeally have an at-large chance, but it's officially 0 this year. Of course I'd like to win, but it's. A nice tune up for KSU.

Edited by zippy5

I had low expectations coming into this game, and leave it feeling pretty good. Dailey will need to get on track quickly, but he has a nice stroke, so I think he will. That will take some of the scoring burden off LCJ. 

Dawson looks much more confident, and with a much-improved 3-point shot. Same with Ali.

Freeman is a revelation. What a blessing to have a walk-on big (height, not width) that's impactful. Especially when we're missing a couple bigs.

Trimble looked out-of-sorts. I'll hope he's just shaking off some rust.

Lots of new faces, and a tough opponent. Groce will figure it out. His teams always get better as the year progresses. 

• Like 2

I only got to watch 6 or 7 minutes.  From what I saw, they are definitely still in early season mode, where they usually are in mid-November when playing the Carolina directionals and Tennessee regionals. Figuring things out, ironing out lineup and defensive rotations, feeling each other out.  Lots of new faces that will take time to gel. 

St. Bonaventure is a really good team and will be one of the top teams in the A10.  They are better than any MAC team the Zips will see.

Pleasantly surprised by Freeman.  Marshall is much more of a player, and a different type of player, than I anticipated.  I could see him as the starting 4 when things settle out.  Sure wish we knew what was up with Currie. 

Oh, and we're all wrong.  The Zips website currently has them beating St. B 81-74 and the Zips at 2-0.  I think Groce walked into the post-game presser and told everyone the Zips had won and that anything to the contrary was fake news and fraud.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Haha 2

Freeman has a big wingspan (similar to Ali, who seems to have greatly improved).

Currie knows how to put the ball into the basket, a pleasant surprise for us underneath.

We will be fine. We lost to a D1 team that returned it's starting lineup, we don't even have a starting lineup yet.

We do have good size and are very athletic. And LCJ will be player of the year again. He play amazingly well against the big boys.

21 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Freeman has a big wingspan (similar to Ali, who seems to have greatly improved).

Currie knows how to put the ball into the basket, a pleasant surprise for us underneath.

We will be fine. We lost to a D1 team that returned it's starting lineup, we don't even have a starting lineup yet.

We do have good size and are very athletic. And LCJ will be player of the year again. He play amazingly well against the big boys.

Did Currie play?