Game 2- St. Bonaventure

clarkwgriswold

After watching the game I realized I did not recognize half the players and just went through the bio of the new players.  It looks like we are picking up players who were highly recruited and played for big schools but did not get a great deal of playing time.  I know that Groce had to bring in junior college transfers and he certainly has hit the lottery with the guys he has brought in but in a Covid world we are going to struggle against programs like Bonny that have kept their starting players from last year.  Groce needs time to mold these guys into a team.  I think we are going to struggle until they learn to play together and I hope that Groce has kept that eye for talent that brought us Cheese, Banks, X man and Riak.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Dailey is second on the team in minutes.  Trimble 8th.  They've shot it 30 times (Dailey 17/Trimble 13).  That tells me Groce recognizes their talent and trusts them.  If he trusts them, I trust them.  I'm not willing to judge them after a mere two games.    

Hey Clark you should also be acknowledged when it appears you're right on something ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MDZip said:

St. Bonaventure currently leading the Atlantic-10 and has one loss on the season. Not looking like such a terrible loss. EMU and NIU on the other hand, yes those were terrible losses.

Calling them not a top 5 A10 team was a weird take then. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, Zipmeister said:

There is no way the A10 ends the season with 6 teams in the top 20-25 which would have to occur if your anticipation is to turn out correct because St Bonnie is a middle of the pack A10 team.

Well...they must be surprising somebody!  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

St. B had a bunch of talented kids returning from a 19 win team and have really solid coaching.  They were not going to be a middle of the pack A10 team.  Richmond and VCU may get them in the A10 tournament, but they should go in as a 1 to 3 seed in the A10 tourney at season's end.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold

47 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

St. B had a bunch of talented kids returning from a 19 win team and have really solid coaching.  They were not going to be a middle of the pack A10 team.  Richmond and VCU may get them in the A10 tournament, but they should go in as a 1 to 3 seed in the A10 tourney at season's end.  

They were pretty bad when Zips played them in Cayman Islands.  Zips got an extra game at Rocket Mortgage out of this.  Hope they can draw from that.

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

They were pretty bad when Zips played them in Cayman Islands.  Zips got an extra game at Rocket Mortgage out of this.  Hope they can draw from that.

That was the year they started awful.  I think they had won only one game going into the game with the Zips.  They then rallied to 18 wins and an appearance in the A10 championship game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 4:06 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Congrats to the Bonnies on being the regular season and tournament champs in the A10.

Pretty sold showing for a middle of the road A10 squad.

OK, so I was wrong.

Fortunately for the Bonnies; VCU, Richmond, Dayton and St.Louis all decided to under-perform this season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

OK, so I was wrong.

Fortunately for the Bonnies; VCU, Richmond, Dayton and St.Louis all decided to under-perform this season.

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I had Taylor Currie in the starting lineup, so we're even!

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I had Taylor Currie in my starting lineup and Maishe Dailey projected as 2nd Team All-MAC.

Well...as long as we're laying out the mea culpas...I wrote:

Houston will kill CSU. I'll predict a 40-point beat down. You'll swear Shaka Smart was coaching the Cougars. 👳‍♀️

Houston 87 CSU 56

Houston could have had 40, but called off the dogs when it got to 35 points late. You can see why Kelvin Sampson didn't get any looks from Marquette.

• Like 1