Game 2- St. Bonaventure

clarkwgriswold

20 minutes ago, monrowe said:

Trimble and Dailey weren’t as productive as a walk on?They came from big time programs?Dailey played with Luka Garza?

Yeah. If Dailey could have just hit a couple of his 3’s... but, no, he didn’t have a very good game.

The newbie I was quite unimpressed with was Bryan Trimble. I hope that was simply a one-off.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

50 of their 68 points have come in the paint. I'm sure we've been out rebounded by a large margin as well. Freeman might be a feel good story, but he isn't the answer this year and needs to put on 20 lbs of muscle to be any sort of force in the paint. We need Currie or Aziz to be able to contribute meaningful minutes this season to spell Reece and his inevitable foul trouble he'll run into.

We actually outrebounded SB 33-29.  Jermaine Marshall?  Where'd HE come from (Oh, yeah, Birmingham!).  He was VERY impressive -- will be an impact 4 -- hopefully in combo with Currie.  I'm not down on this team after two games.  I anticipate St Bonnie being a top 20-25 team by the end of the season.  We hung in there -- generally speaking...

Edited by Z.I.P.

Definitely wasn't our best game.  The score was closer than what it actually was.  I thought LCJ even though he ended with 20+ points wasn't his best game and got exposed on the defensive end.  I think it may be rough with the start of the MAC being against some contenders but think we will figure it out and make a run at the Rock in March.  As others have said, impressed by Freeman.  Also I thought Ali made a good sophomore jump.  Like others I was expecting Currie to be a starter or at least get major minutes and average close to double figures.  I hope he figures it out as it would be nice to have one more "big" when needed.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for many of these early season games. I was really excited after the Cedarville game given how well Akron shot the ball, but as Tuesday's game approached I started to come down from the high of simply watching Akron basketball again to realize this team will be good, but they've got a ways to go before they're great. I think in a normal year, guys on the roster like Currie and Clarke have a great pre season and are well into the rotation by now. I really think Currie could make or break our chances at winning a title. Because what I've seen so far is when the three doesn't fall, the offense doesn't necessarily get frantic, they just try to force too much. Of course, in a normal year Aziz would have been here for months already and I would think would be in Freeman's spot. In the past, they had Cheese and X to rely on to either get to the bucket or make a mid range shot to open things up. Right now, this team doesn't have pieces like that. I was expecting Marshall to be more of a slasher, but so far he's been somewhat of a rebounding stretch 4. Do I want that from a guy like that? I don't think so right now. I'll take it since he plays his ass off and gives good minutes, but we've got enough guys spotting up. I knew Ali would improve his game, and I can't wait to see what he can develop into! I'd love to see the jumper come along more, and he's been masterful at making his own shots all over the floor so far. We even saw very small glimpses of that last year.

LCJ is LCJ. I didn't think he was very good yesterday, but he's so amazing that even in a sub-par game he can single handedly keep the team afloat. If he hits a couple of those 3s before the half, that game could have been much different. In reality, I do not see him as winning POY again as teams have kind of figured him out. I'm not saying he can't, but when he gets forced to drive and teams take away the lob, he's forced to be more of a distributor, which is not the kind of PG that he is. 

This team can just about out-talent anyone in the league. I'm going to call Dailey's game yesterday a repeat of X against Louisville and hope it doesn't happen again. The pieces are there, this repeat will simply have to be a little bit more difficult for Groce than last year's title.  I'm looking forward to Saturday, Go Zips!

• Like 3

I would say that many of the criticisms coming out of the St. B game are the very criticisms we saw early in the past couple of seasons.  That's a lesson to us to be patient.  The MAC tournament isn't won in December.  From here it is a slow build with the completion date set for March 10th to 13th at 1 Center Court, Cleveland, OH 44115.

53 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I would say that many of the criticisms coming out of the St. B game are the very criticisms we saw early in the past couple of seasons.  That's a lesson to us to be patient.  The MAC tournament isn't won in December.  From here it is a slow build with the completion date set for March 10th to 13th at 1 Center Court, Cleveland, OH 44115.

Uhh...there is a fierce urgency of NOW.  We need players to be "impactful" immediately.

• Like 1

I was able to watch part of the first half and most of the second half yesterday.  I was afraid of our penchant of relying on long range shots and playing in a completely empty NBA arena.

The glaring difference that I saw yesterday was that once the perimeter shots weren't falling, one team adjusted and did the majority of their scoring in the paint.  

• Like 1

St. Bonaventure was just flat out the better team yesterday. I've seen some what if comments on if the Zips had just hit a few more 3s. The thing is the Bonnies had an even worse night behind the arc going 1/14. As the season progresses the gap between the two teams should narrow. This Zips team is still learning how to play together, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I expect Dailey and Trimble to come around.  Don't forget, they've been limited to practice for nearly two years.

right.There production was much better against Cedarville?Dailey is a senior?

I”ll be patient because  we have more transfers than western union?

1 hour ago, monrowe said:

right.There production was much better against Cedarville?Dailey is a senior?

I”ll be patient because  we have more transfers than western union?

Dailey is second on the team in minutes.  Trimble 8th.  They've shot it 30 times (Dailey 17/Trimble 13).  That tells me Groce recognizes their talent and trusts them.  If he trusts them, I trust them.  I'm not willing to judge them after a mere two games.    

• Like 1

I agree with many who indicated it is way too early to judge this team.  However, this is what I saw yesterday that bothered me, uncontested layups by the other team.  Groce always stressed defense and I think I saw at least 12 uncontested layups.  Without a big man, Riak, as a rim protector we got exposed big time.  LCJ got beat repeatedly and there was nobody to protect the rim.  Also, rebounding is a team effort and it just did not look like a priority to the zips.  The first half saw a lot of Zip turnovers.  It just looked like we were dribbling way to much.

The good news is that Ali Ali looked very aggressive on the offensive end.  I think he will get much more playing time this year.  As everyone mentioned, Freeman looked good.  Although everyone commented he needs to get stronger, he looks much stronger than last year.  I did not expect him to contribute since he was a walk on but I was clearly wrong.

The Zips could not hit the 3 ball but we saw that the last 2 years where they have just been a very streaky team.  I thought several of the 3 balls were rushed.  Although LCJ had 20 points I did not think he had a great game.  I am looking forward to Kent.  Considering Covid, I am just glad to be watching Zips basketball!!

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree with many who indicated it is way too early to judge this team.  However, this is what I saw yesterday that bothered me, uncontested layups by the other team.  Groce always stressed defense and I think I saw at least 12 uncontested layups.  Without a big man, Riak, as a rim protector we got exposed big time.  LCJ got beat repeatedly and there was nobody to protect the rim.  Also, rebounding is a team effort and it just did not look like a priority to the zips.  The first half saw a lot of Zip turnovers.  It just looked like we were dribbling way to much.

The good news is that Ali Ali looked very aggressive on the offensive end.  I think he will get much more playing time this year.  As everyone mentioned, Freeman looked good.  Although everyone commented he needs to get stronger, he looks much stronger than last year.  I did not expect him to contribute since he was a walk on but I was clearly wrong.

The Zips could not hit the 3 ball but we saw that the last 2 years where they have just been a very streaky team.  I thought several of the 3 balls were rushed.  Although LCJ had 20 points I did not think he had a great game.  I am looking forward to Kent.  Considering Covid, I am just glad to be watching Zips basketball!!

Agreed, lots of getting beat on things like back door cuts and not boxing out.  I'm betting that will be emphasized in practice this week.

19 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

We actually outrebounded SB 33-29.  Jermaine Marshall?  Where'd HE come from (Oh, yeah, Birmingham!).  He was VERY impressive -- will be an impact 4 -- hopefully in combo with Currie.  I'm not down on this team after two games.  I anticipate St Bonnie being a top 20-25 team by the end of the season.  We hung in there -- generally speaking...

There is no way the A10 ends the season with 6 teams in the top 20-25 which would have to occur if your anticipation is to turn out correct because St Bonnie is a middle of the pack A10 team.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

There is no way the A10 ends the season with 6 teams in the top 20-25 which would have to occur if your anticipation is to turn out correct because St Bonnie is a middle of the pack A10 team.

A 19 win team (5th in Atlantic-10, IIRC) that returns 5 starters is a legitimate contender to win the now middle-of-the-pack A-10.  They're not Dayton 2020-21, but neither is anyone else in the league.  I've seen more than one expert favor them to win it.  2 or 3 years after beating UCLA in the Big Dance.  I guess your money's on the Dukes though... ?‍♂️?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

A 19 win team (5th in Atlantic-10, IIRC) that returns 5 starters is a legitimate contender to win the now middle-of-the-pack A-10.  They're not Dayton 2020-21, but neither is anyone else in the league.  I've seen more than one expert favor them to win it.  2 or 3 years after beating UCLA in the Big Dance.  I guess your money's on the Dukes though... ?‍♂️?

Your guess is wrong. Even though the Bonnies and the Dukes finished last season with identical 11-7 conference  records, my guess is the Bonnies will finish ahead of the Dukes this season.

I do agree with you that the Bonnies have a decent chance of winning the now-middle-of-the-pack A-10 (although I have never heard of this before); it's just that I don't believe they have a prayer of winning the A-10 or making the big dance.

Edited by Zipmeister

It will be a shame if Covid robs LCJ of having his jersey in the rafters. Had he lead us to a MAC tourney championship, and a win...maybe two in the NCAA's, this follow-up season could have put him up there next to Jakubik. With no 2020 tourney exposure and a shortened 2020-21 season, he will likely not get sufficient chance/numbers to shine.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It will be a shame if Covid robs LCJ of having his jersey in the rafters. Had he lead us to a MAC tourney championship, and a win...maybe two in the NCAA's, this follow-up season could have put him up there next to Jakubik. With no 2020 tourney exposure and a shortened 2020-21 season, he will likely not get sufficient chance/numbers to shine.

Already up there. It just has not been mounted yet. How many POY do we have?

• Like 1