Game 4- Ohio

clarkwgriswold

Our old rivals from Athens come into an empty JAR Tuesday at 2:00 to face the Zips.  Heck, we can’t actually go to the games so why not put them during the day when we have to work and can’t see them?  Grrrr.

Preston continues to lead the Bobcats at 20.8 ppg and 7.8 apg.  6’8” James Madison transfer Dwight Wilson is making a big contribution with 15.4 ppg and 9.2 rpg.  At 4-2, they have beaten Chicago State, NC A & T, CSU and Purdue NW, while falling 77-75 at Illinois and 81-67 at Marshall.  They were picked second in the MAC pre-season poll.  Jeff Boals really seems to have had a quick impact in Athens.

38 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Preston continues to lead the Bobcats at 20.8 ppg and 7.8 apg.  6’8” James Madison transfer Dwight Wilson is making a big contribution with 15.4 ppg and 9.2 rpg.  At 4-2, they have beaten Chicago State, NC A & T, CSU and Purdue NW, while falling 77-75 at Illinois and 81-67 at Marshall.  They were picked second in the MAC pre-season poll.  Jeff Boals really seems to have had a quick impact in Athens.

would you describe Bowls as "impactful?"

this is a relief.   for some reason I thought the Kittens beat the Fighting Illini.

I haven't ventured on to KittenAttack this year to see what the trolls are whining about from under their West Virginia bridges.  This year they may legitimately ask the perennial question, "Where is the band?"

Edited by NWAkron

We’d better get our act together or this game will get ugly.

we haven’t figured out our starters yet, let alone any sort of rotation. No chemistry yet.

Should Freeman start, or should we ease him along a bit more slowly? Reece off the bench?

the only certain starter is LCJ. 

Tribble may still be hobbled come Tuesday so our backup PG may be true freshman Garvin Clarke. He’s gonna be a good one but he’s probably not ready for the intensity of an OU game after only playing 2 games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Kitten Attack is always looking for new members.  FYI

Getting more than one article and look from National Press. Watched a segment with Danny Manning and cast interviewing him following the Illinois game. Underwood praised him and ESPN did a followup  article https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/30525718/how-ohio-jason-preston-went-high-school-benchwarmer-nba-draft-boards-three-short-years  Posting an article or something about an upcoming foe does not make you a supporter of theirs,  but a well informed fan looking ahead.  Thinking your comment on this board becoming more like theirs is right as they have a ton of fans like you. For the record, I watched Kent at UVA, Ohio's one point loss at Illinois, Buffalo run out of gas at Syracuse. That alone does not make me a fan of any of them.  

Edited by chicav
additional conversation.
  • Like 1

As we all no, last years games with Athens State were intense with momentum swings.  And ironically are last MAC game was supposed too be in Cleveland at the MAC tournament.   The problem is I think they still have the same team and Zips are without for of there starters.   So easy two determine how this will turn out

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

As we all no, last years games with Athens State were intense with momentum swings.  And ironically are last MAC game was supposed too be in Cleveland at the MAC tournament.   The problem is I think they still have the same team and Zips are without for of there starters.   So easy two determine how this will turn out

Your probably rite.  Their going two be tough to beat?  Who nos, maybe the Zips can get it togther if Tribimble plays.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Didn't ewe mean same teem?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

no

ironically

too

for

there

two

That took me a minute to translate. Are you stating that you believe we lose (or loose ) because we are undermanned and missing personnel?

I think this one will be closer than expected. I'd like to believe the Malone game was a case and point example of playing down to your opponent's level. We have a lot of former D1 - power five guys on the team. It's easy to see how they could overlook an opponent like Malone. 

If we had shot better than 6-32 from three and had a better transitional defense, The Zips may be undefeated. When it comes down to it, I think this team will be ready. I still think Akron is the team to beat in the MAC until proven otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, chicav said:

no

ironically

too

for

there

two

That took me a minute to translate. Are you stating that you believe we lose (or loose ) because we are undermanned and missing personnel?

we have the personal but dont have the experience playing too gether.

it's just not this team :)

In all seriousness the question is whether the defense is ready.  In the Ohio game last March at the JAR the Zips were down by about 12 at half and then really locked down the defense in the 2nd and stopped Preston from penetrating the key.  There's was one play near the end that caused the CBS announcers to extort that Akron looked like it have 7 men on the floor with their swarming defense.  So we may have the shooters but im not convinced the defense is ready to take on some of these MAC teams.

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Good morning Zips fans - & more importantly, happy game day!! Have a good feeling about this one. 77-74 Akron

Nice article from the Beacon by someone not George Thomas-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2020/12/21/university-of-akron-basketball-opens-mac-play-against-ohio-university/3966298001/

Sounds like maybe they're turning the corner.