Game 4- Ohio

clarkwgriswold

I was really surprised that we played this well.  Of course when you are shooting the 3 ball well it makes the game a lot easier.  We still had a lot of stupid turnovers.  I loved Ali Ali playing guard and breaking the press, until he threw the ball away.  We had some nice points from the paint, a few offensive rebounds, ahd some good but not great defense.  I though OU missed a lot of open 3 shots.  I think we were the quicker team today.  I am pretty sure we outrebound the Bobcats.  Was OU that bad or were we that good?  Only time will tell.

Edited by 1981 grad

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Never gets old kicking OU's a$$. Media can keep picking them ahead of us and write all the feel good stories about their players they want. We'll keep winning.

Oh yes.  But wait...Jason Preston...but wait...they almost beat Illinois...but wait they scored 40 straight  CSU.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I know its not a completely fair comparison but thinking how I'd feel if I saw Keith Dambrot coaching them now. Got to still be a gut punch seeing Groce on our sideline.

Feel terrible for their obnoxious fans.  I will watch replay on ESPN+.  It's worth the $6.00 per month.

Edited by NWAkron

Some things from the box score that jumped out at me:

37 to 25 on the boards.  8 each for Freeman and Reece.

6 for 6 on 3's by Trimble.  He appears to be the shooter we were promised.

Dailey 3 or 4 on threes.

14/25 as a team on 3's.

1 minute for Currie and Walter.

Groce said they practiced well leading up to the game.  It sure showed.

59 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Our starters shot 70% from three (I don't know how LCJ can live with himself as the worst starting 3 pt shooter today at a mere 50% ?). Curious what happened to Jermaine Marshall today, didn't see him anywhere in the box score.

LCJ had 3-4 beautiful assists when he drove the lane and then dished to a big man who scored an easy layup.  Makes up for his poor 3 point shooting.  (LOL)

I think today is proof that, if that St. Bonnie game weren't at the cavernous empty Fieldhouse (or if it weren't our first game post COVID issue), we'd be undefeated. 

I missed the game (honestly forgot about it). We obviously shot well, but were the shots contested, uncontested, flukes, the real deal? How was the defense? What's the story with Currie? How did Clarke look in his limited time? What did Freeman do well to get 8 boards?

• Like 1

Holy hell that was fun. Hip Zip, I thought that same thing myself. One of the most complete 40 minutes I've seen by an Akron team EVER, and that says a ton considering the last 15 years.

That's the best D LCJ has ever played, I don't know how he wasn't exhausted early with how hard he was playing. You could tell Preston was taken way out of his comfort zone. That's something a top ten Big Ten program couldn't do when they faced him. That's a testament to the coaching staff and conditioning program.

So that's why Trimble was so highly anticipated! I don't know that I've ever seen a 6-6 by a Zip, few and far between at least if I have

Ali Ali guarded Vander Plas so well, if you even contest him a bit he struggles to shoot, otherwise he could put it in from The Score Draft Room if he wanted to. And Ali made him work to the point that he had no legs down the stretch. That was huge. 

I don't know what Wynn is good at yet. I thought his minutes were pretty poor today, I would have preferred Marshall for defense and hustle instead, but hopefully he comes around.

Dailey is starting to play more like X, obviously he'll probably never be as good, but they've got similar bodies and capabilities so I'd like to see him fill that role.

Overall, I loved every second of that and thankfully we have a few days to savor and enjoy it! That truly was a spectacular performance. However, moving forward I'm still somewhat skeptical as to how good this team will be against everyone in this league. What will happen when the 3 doesn't fall? What happens when you go up against a bigger and more physical team like Kent? What happens if these turnovers are committed against Buffalo?? This could be another special season, the potential is there, now as coach Groce likes to say, EXECUTE!!!!!

Stay strong Zips fans, the JAR would've been a lot of fun today, even though we can't be there keep supporting the Zips!! Hopefully we have the opportunity to see these boys do something special in person in the Spring. Cheers, Happy Holidays!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Dailey is starting to play more like X, obviously he'll probably never be as good, but they've got similar bodies and capabilities so I'd like to see him fill that role.

I don't think Dailey is every going to be the long range threat X was when he was hot or quite the rebounder, but I think we will find he is a stronger defender, especially on the perimeter, and a more diverse offensive threat.  One area in which he will excel, and an area in which the Zips have often been weak, is strong on the ball defense against the bigger guards and small forwards.

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't think Dailey is every going to be the long range threat X was when he was hot or quite the rebounder, but I think we will find he is a stronger defender, especially on the perimeter, and a more diverse offensive threat.  One area in which he will excel, and an area in which the Zips have often been weak, is strong on the ball defense against the bigger guards and small forwards.

I like how you worded that, "more diverse offensive threat." Last Tuesday he was visibly getting down on himself for missing all those 3s, fast forward to last Saturday and he took it inside and took some turnaround mid rangers. Today he displayed his slashing abilities a bit. In addition, he buried a couple of good decision 3s to keep the D guessing. Those are the things I like to see!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I like how you worded that, "more diverse offensive threat." Last Tuesday he was visibly getting down on himself for missing all those 3s, fast forward to last Saturday and he took it inside and took some turnaround mid rangers. Today he displayed his slashing abilities a bit. In addition, he buried a couple of good decision 3s to keep the D guessing. Those are the things I like to see!

I'm a little bit of a Maishe Dailey homer out of a 2 minute encounter at the 2019 Ice Cream Social.  While many of the kids hung out with each other and were a little shy, he went around the room extending his hand, introducing himself and welcoming people.  He's just a nice personable kid.  I also enjoyed watching him on the bench last season.  While he couldn't play he was regularly in the mix of encouraging and cheering on his teammates.  He's a kid ZipsNation can be proud of.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think today is proof that, if that St. Bonnie game weren't at the cavernous empty Fieldhouse (or if it weren't our first game post COVID issue), we'd be undefeated. 

I missed the game (honestly forgot about it). We obviously shot well, but were the shots contested, uncontested, flukes, the real deal? How was the defense? What's the story with Currie? How did Clarke look in his limited time? What did Freeman do well to get 8 boards?

these were contested 3s.  Trimble shot some line drives with a hand in his face.

Groce quote from the Beacon article, which is consistent with what the staff has been saying about Trimble-

"There were days, especially last year, where if you would come in here and watch us practice, he would get on one of those tears," Groce said. "And he's an elite-level shot maker. It was only a matter of time."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Even the BJ can't keep them straight - third photo down identifies Greg "Trimble"

• Like 1