College Football "Playoffs"

GP1

13 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The best way to achieve parity between all D1 teams is to eliminate recruiting and substitute a draft. 

The only reason the NFL is able to have is a draft is because they are exempt from anti-trust laws. Much of the NCAA is not and it would be horrible to exempt it from anti trust laws.

The best way to achieve parity between teams is to require the P5 schools to have tiered scheduling based upon their performance the previous year, much like the NFL used to do a better job of.  A school that finishes in at the top of their conference the prior year should be required to play at least three schools that finished at the top of their conference the prior year to open their season. Apply this to second, third, forth, etc. place finishers down the line. Only conference winners are allowed to make the "playoffs" with their overall record being the determining factor in making the "playoff" or not. Eliminate conference championship games. This system would take the shine off of the recruiting advantage 2-3 schools have in recruiting because players would see more than 2-3 schools as an avenue for winning a national championship, if that is their goal. It would also not punish the better schools for their success, just make them try a little harder for the mountain of cash they bring in each season. A rising tide lifts all ships.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spin said:

Put any of those teams in a game, the house is packed and the ratings skyrocket. 

The past OSU vs Alabama game had the worst national championship ratings since 2004. I think America is tired of the same old, same old. So what does the NCAA do?  Expand the college football "playoffs", without increasing parity in college football, so next year OSU and Alabama will just have to play more games to get to an even lower rated national championship game on a Monday night lasting until around midnight. The excitement devaluing the regular season in favor of an almost completely predictable "playoff" is almost overwhelming.....not. College athletics is not run by smart people.

The NCAA does make a ton of money off the BBall playoffs, but they don't make any money off the football D1 playoff. That money goes to the BCS and is divided against the 65 members. Those schools are the members of the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, SEC and ACC plus Notre Dame. They have no intention whatsoever to include any G5 school. The rich get richer.

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The NCAA does make a ton of money off the BBall playoffs, but they don't make any money off the football D1 playoff. That money goes to the BCS and is divided against the 65 members. Those schools are the members of the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, SEC and ACC plus Notre Dame. They have no intention whatsoever to include any G5 school. The rich get richer.

Technically, the NCAA is a non-profit organization so it can't make any money. It just organizes college sports for the member schools. The NAIA does the same thing for their member schools.

18 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I'm more surprised anyone would put UNC at #12. Further, how many times can the pollsters fall for Oklahoma being the best team in the country and then having the rug pulled out from under them?

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, GP1 said:

Americans get to have more trash shoveled into their living rooms during the holidays. Awesome!

I'd rather have actual meaningful bowl games instead of what feels like a hundred games like the Roofclaim.com Boca Raton Bowl or TaxAct Camellia Bowl which nobody cares about.

Winning a bowl game should mean more than just a random trophy and maybe some shirts. Especially if you're a conference champion with a impressive record. Will a MAC team get an at large consistently? Probably not. But as fans of a MAC team, I see no downside in this unless they decide a MAC team is never allowed to be included regardless of record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Wning a bowl game should mean more than just a random trophy and maybe some shirts.

If you think winning bowl game is nothing more than a trophy and t-shirts, you have never experienced a bowl game.  There are thousands of people a year who travel to bowl games with nothing at risk other than the experience. They are awesome. Players, students, alumni and fans get to travel around the holidays for a game and friendship around their school. We should encourage this experience.  

How many fans can really afford to travel to 2-3 bowl games? Almost none. By the time the invitational tournament is over, the stadiums will be empty.

Enjoy watching Alabama blow out the likes of Utah 50-0 in these "meaningful" games. 

Edited by GP1

13 hours ago, GP1 said:

If you think winning bowl game is nothing more than a trophy and t-shirts, you have never experienced a bowl game.  There are thousands of people a year who travel to bowl games with nothing at risk other than the experience. They are awesome. Players, students, alumni and fans get to travel around the holidays for a game and friendship around their school. We should encourage this experience.  

How many fans can really afford to travel to 2-3 bowl games? Almost none. By the time the invitational tournament is over, the stadiums will be empty.

Enjoy watching Alabama blow out the likes of Utah 50-0 in these "meaningful" games. 

Bowl season has become stagnant. The bowl games are absolutely meaningless, hence why so many starters are opting out. I don't watch most of them anymore. Thousands of fans traveling for a meaningless bowl game vs tens of thousands for multiple playoff games is a big difference. 

This is a good thing. If you don't want to watch it - don't. I will be watching these.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

you don't want to watch it - don't. I will be watching these.

Fair enough. I'll be in the ever increasing group of people not watching the crap they are shoveling through the television. 

It won't be long until players opt out of invitational tournament games also. 

On 7/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, GP1 said:

I'm more surprised anyone would put UNC at #12. Further, how many times can the pollsters fall for Oklahoma being the best team in the country and then having the rug pulled out from under them?

UNC SHOULD have gone down today at App St. App St. scored late, was down one, went for 2 to go for the win (:31 still on clock) but QB missed an absolute gimme to a wide open running back out of the backfield. UNC then ran an onside kick in for a TD to close things out (or so I thought). Apparently App St. scored AGAIN but couldn't convert 2-pt (again) to tie it up. 

Edited by GoZips88

17 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

UNC SHOULD have gone down today at App St. App St. scored late, was down one, went for 2 to go for the win (:31 still on clock) but QB missed an absolute gimme to a wide open running back out of the backfield. UNC then ran an onside kick in for a TD to close things out (or so I thought). Apparently App St. scored AGAIN but couldn't convert 2-pt (again) to tie it up. 

UNC finished below. 500 last year. They will again this year. 

Prediction: Mack Brown gets fired. 

Bonus Prediction:. This off season there will be more than one fan base that thinks Mack Brown is the solution to their coaching problem making Brown the new Jim Grobe. 

46 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I hope a MAC school could qualify for the 12 team playoff. That alone changes the MAC, in my opinion. Can be a selling point to recruits that their football isnt 100% irrelevant, that they can in fact compete for a title. If MAC schools essentially dont qualify, that is a huge damper 

Apparently they could. According to this ESPN article in the last seven years every conference except C-USA would have qualified for the playoff. The MAC had only one, #12 WMU in 2016. So the odds aren't great but they are possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I hope a MAC school could qualify for the 12 team playoff. That alone changes the MAC, in my opinion. Can be a selling point to recruits that their football isnt 100% irrelevant, that they can in fact compete for a title. If MAC schools essentially dont qualify, that is a huge damper 

I hope you are correct and I'll get to that in a minute.

It won't change the MAC. It will only make it worse. I don't hate G5. I love it and fixing whatever people think their problems are will not be accomplished with an automatic bid. 

My wish is for anyone who thinks the MAC should get an automatic bid. I wish these people would be required to be taped to a recliner in their living rooms and forced to watch the MAC winner get destroyed by the likes of Alabama for the entire game. If you promote trash, you should be forced to watch it. 

G5 schools should take the next four years to figure out what they want to be. Ready.....Set.....Go!

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I hope you are correct and I'll get to that in a minute.

It won't change the MAC. It will only make it worse. I don't hate G5. I love it and fixing whatever people think their problems are will not be accomplished with an automatic bid. 

My wish is for anyone who thinks the MAC should get an automatic bid. I wish these people would be required to be taped to a recliner in their living rooms for and forced to watch the MAC winner get destroyed by the likes of Alabama for the entire game. If you promote trash, you should be forced to watch it. 

G5 schools should take the next four years to figure out what they want to be. Ready.....Set.....Go!

Can you please explain your thought process as to how more access to the biggest trophy in college athletics wouldn't benefit every FBS program?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Can you please explain your thought process as to how more access to the biggest trophy in college athletics wouldn't benefit every FBS program?

Thanks for the question. Easy answer. Access to the invitational tournament provides the G5 schools with a level of delusion about a future in college football in which they will not be a part. This delusionary state prevents them from taking the actions necessary to find a spot in the world where they can find better success. 

1 minute ago, GP1 said:

Thanks for the question. Easy answer. Access to the invitational tournament provides the G5 schools with a level of delusion about a future in college football in which they will not be a part. This delusionary state prevents them from taking the actions necessary to find a spot in the world where they can find better success. 

I want to make sure I understand your perspective. 

You're saying the P5 breaks away from the G5, so why allow access to the Playoff if they won't be part of it in the near future anyways?

20 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I want to make sure I understand your perspective. 

You're saying the P5 breaks away from the G5, so why allow access to the Playoff if they won't be part of it in the near future anyways?

Television networks, the ones driving these decisions, want to give themselves time to figure out which 30-40 teams will be in their super conference. 

Four years might give them enough time. 

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

Television networks, the ones driving these decisions, want to give themselves time to figure out which 30-40 teams will be in their super conference. 

Four years might give them enough time. 

If that comes to fruition, then that means there are quite a few P5s left on the outside looking in. If that's where this all ends up - lesser P5s joining G5s - I'm not mad about that. I think the 30-40 teams will ultimately hurt their product by being so exclusive. But until then, there is nothing wrong with the expansion and additional access to the Playoff for everyone

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

But until then, there is nothing wrong with the expansion and additional access to the Playoff for everyone

"until then" is 4 seasons away. Think about how much has changed in the last two. Is it so far out of the world of reality to believe they couldn't narrow college football at the highest level down to 30:40 teams?  It's entirely possible and they are heading that way. 

So, what access do the rest have right now?  The answer is, zero. 

The people at the television networks currently running college football don't give a hoot about anything other than maximizing shareholder profits. These people are much smarter than the athletic directors they are currently running over. Does anyone really think these monsters care about what happens to G5 schools?

It's time to wake up before it's too late.