Game 5- CMU

clarkwgriswold

The 4-4 CMU Chippewas come to the JAR on New Year's Day after a MAC schedule change in place of the Zips trip to Canada. 

The Chipps lost their first three games to Illinois-Chicago, Florida International and powerhouse Flagler,  then beat Western Illinois, Valparaiso and St. Francis (Illinois), before falling to WMU, then beating perennial powerhouse Olivet.  After reading that lineup I will never again gripe about the Zips OOC schedule.

The Chipps are led by 6'5" senior guard Travon Broadway Jr, a  at 15 ppg.  6'6" junior guard Meikkel Murray leads rebounding at 6.6 rpg.   They have scored an average of 82.9 ppg.  their 127 point outburst against the mighty Comets of Olivet in their last game boosting that figure.  The Chipps were picked dead last in the MAC Pre-season Poll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happy Holidays all!!

Hopefully this game isn't anything more than a tune-up game. The Zips are clearly the better of the two teams, I'd like to see them sure up some things up (esp defense down low). This teams Achilles heal is going to be their rim protection OR playing down to their opponents level. 

I believe JG is the best coach in the MAC so he'll address these vulnerabilities asap and maybe turn them into a strengths. 

Gino doesn't coach defense.  I guess it's easier if you just tell your guys to run and shoot.  In the past, they had some guys who could pound the 3 pointers and keep them in the game.  They had the nation's top scorer a few years ago.  That didn't get them very far.

Zips need to keep banking those MAC wins while others sit at home.

Zips won at CMU in their last meeting by 13 after being tied 51-51 with 12:44 remaining.

11 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm sick and damn tired of this CBSports BS.

If you haven't yet (or even if you have), you can get a free 7 day trial of Fubo TV that includes CBS Sports.  My wife (heheh) got a trial subscription to watch the Akron/Buffalo football game.  Just don't forget to cancel (like I did), or you'll get hit with a $60 bill.  At least I get to watch this game before my 1 month is up.

Edited by RowdyZip
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

If you haven't yet (or even if you have), you can get a free 7 day trial of Fubo TV that includes CBS Sports.  My wife (heheh) got a trial subscription to watch the Akron/Buffalo football game.  Just don't forget to cancel (like I did), or you'll get hit with a $60 bill.  At least I get to watch this game before my 1 month is up.

Well done.

Ummmm, how many streams do you get with that?  LOL.

Good morning, I would say Groce learned a whole bunch about his team vs. Ohio, but the rotation is likely to be fine tuned through out the season. If I were Tre Edwards I might be concerned that I am being passed over. Maybe he is progressing just fine behind the scenes and there are not enough minutes at the wing to go around. Maybe Covid actually helps him. Not a great sign though.

Groce moves slower with the bigs generally. I expect to see more play out of both Curry and Aziz going forward. And one of them making the starting line up by March. Freeman is undersized like you have mentioned, but apparently is the best option at the moment. They will have to earn it in practice, nothing is given. Freeman has to be loving life right now.

• Like 3

I was concerned with Edwards when guys like Dawson and Ali saw time last year as freshmen while he red-shirted.  Hopefully he'll grow into a role as a contributor.

With the Covid shutdowns and delays and the limited schedule I can't imagine Grice has settled into a rotation quite yet.  In the past, it seems like he worked on it up until MAC play started and that's usually about 12-13 games.  I don't see it taking 12-13 games to hone it in this odd year, but I think we'll see some tinkering through January. 

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

and fill the gap with the team up the road.  maybe the Zips can play all the different branches of PCCC this season instead of the directional Michigan schools.  Ravenna tomorrow and PCCC at Garretsville next week.

Brimfield and Franklin Township are jockeying for inclusion.

I fear their size and toughness, I think it will give the Zips guards a lot of trouble. And the defensive intensity needs to be maintained, not easy to do after as much downtime as the Zips have had. Not having fans also evens the playing field a bit. This one will feel very strange to watch on TV that's for sure. Is there any better way to start a calendar year than beating Kent?? I think not. Go Zips!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I fear their size and toughness, I think it will give the Zips guards a lot of trouble. And the defensive intensity needs to be maintained, not easy to do after as much downtime as the Zips have had. Not having fans also evens the playing field a bit. This one will feel very strange to watch on TV that's for sure. Is there any better way to start a calendar year than beating Kent?? I think not. Go Zips!

I fear Pinky.

• Haha 1