Game 5- Now PCCC

clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

It's 2021 and....

KENT STATE STILL SUCKS!

And Senderoff is still 50 Shades of Pink!

Heck of a win, without Currie, Aziz, and Tribble, and a brutal start to the game. 2-0 in the MAC against two squads - OU and PCCC - that had GOOD P5 teams on the ropes this season.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Freeman - playing straight up - changing this game.

He has to be the most coachable kid aside from LCJ, because no way did he not get looks if he had these types of fundamentals down.

He probably saved the game with that play on Pippen at the end. Just amazing. When he is a senior he will own the MAC

Impressive come from behind win. We are so lucky to have LCJ and to be getting the production we are out of Freeman, because in general I am still very disappointed from what we are getting from our major conference transfers (Wynn, Trimble, Dailey, and Currie). Everyone else is playing about how I'd think they would. Dawson needs more minutes. His shot was scary last year, but he seems to have found it and plays with a bunch of effort. Currie's body language looks pee poor on the bench. He might be a one and done with the program unless there is something we don't know. We need more from those 4 if we want to win the conference.

Go Zips and Kent State still sucks!

• Like 1

One of the best comebacks from an Akron team against Kent.  I am really impressed with Freeman.  He is very quick to the ball, gets up in the air quickly and can make foul shots.  Pippin had nowhere to go  stuck his left arm out to defend against Freeman and then lost the ball.  The announcers seemed to be lost on a lot of calls.  I assume they are calling the game remotely.  On the one call LCJ had an offensive foul (great acting by Kent guard) and they called a moving screen on Ali Ali who was not near the play.

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

One of the best comebacks from an Akron team against Kent.  I am really impressed with Freeman.  He is very quick to the ball, gets up in the air quickly and can make foul shots.  Pippin had nowhere to go  stuck his left arm out to defend against Freeman and then lost the ball.  The announcers seemed to be lost on a lot of calls.  I assume they are calling the game remotely.  On the one call LCJ had an offensive foul (great acting by Kent guard) and they called a moving screen on Ali Ali who was not near the play.

Correct. The few times they showed them, the announcers were in what looked to be their respective homes. I'll excuse the missed calls, but their all-around ability to commentate on a game was atrocious. If Akron wouldn't have won, I probably would have been more pissed that I just wasted 2 hours listening to them, than the actual result. 

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Correct. The few times they showed them, the announcers were in what looked to be their respective homes. I'll excuse the missed calls, but their all-around ability to commentate on a game was atrocious. If Akron wouldn't have won, I probably would have been more pissed that I just wasted 2 hours listening to them, than the actual result. 

yeah earlier they were calling #25 Jermaine Marshall

So here is my stupid question of the day:
Freeman is on an academic scholarship,

Do athletic scholarships pay more or give more benefits.

In other words, is he earning less starting than the scholarship guys sitting on the bench?

Because IF that is the case and coach does not fix that, we stand to lose him. By the time this season is over if he continues to develop he could get an offer to play anywhere.

• Like 1

LCJ is the best player to ever wear an Akron uniform. None of those dudes from the 60s, not Romeo, not Dru, not Zeke Marshall, none of those dudes. The guy is 5'7 155lb., has every team game plan against him for the better part of a year now, and he's as masterful as can be every single game. It's mind-blowing. It's the kind of stuff you tell your grandkids about. I'll miss him tremendously when he's no longer here. A quality person and incredible baller. He is Akron!

Aside from LCJ, my favorite Zip this year is either Freeman or Dawson. Both are "glue guys" that play with fire and make plays when they are needed to step up. Dawson is going to be a star, as is Freeman.

When Reece turned it over after missing two open shooters on that offensive rebound with about 4 minutes to go up 10, my heart sank. That was nearly the difference maker if you ask me. Thank goodness for Groce defense down the stretch!

I think Marshall took Wynn's minutes in the second half which needed to happen. Also without Tribble his toughness and hustle was HUGE! Wish he would've buried one of those open threes. 

Nuga is a great player, and Pippen whos like 45 years old and has no legs won't go down in Kent State history as he should, but man that dude is a baller and I respect the hell out of him. I loved to see Marshall get under his skin, that was a key.

The energy wasn't there early on and I think a lot of that has to do with the missed shots early. Trimble only forced one of them, but the rest were fine takes. Fire away brother. 

Dailey was getting abused all first half by Nuga but stepped up to have an okay defensive performance. I don't understand his value on offense yet. Another nice game by Ali, I'd like to see him take more shots when driving though, he's long and can handle the ball, but seemed to just look to pass. That's all fine and good, but put one up there!

Clarke will be a nice player, I wish that half court would've counted!!! That wide open top of the key three will fall with time, I really like him.

All in all, that game should never be that close. Akron is so much better than Kent for the first time in a while if you ask me. But a win is a win is a win. On to the next one, Go Zips!

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

LCJ is the best player to ever wear an Akron uniform. None of those dudes from the 60s, not Romeo, not Dru, not Zeke Marshall, none of those dudes. The guy is 5'7 155lb., has every team game plan against him for the better part of a year now, and he's as masterful as can be every single game. It's mind-blowing. It's the kind of stuff you tell your grandkids about. I'll miss him tremendously when he's no longer here. A quality person and incredible baller. He is Akron!

Aside from LCJ, my favorite Zip this year is either Freeman or Dawson. Both are "glue guys" that play with fire and make plays when they are needed to step up. Dawson is going to be a star, as is Freeman.

When Reece turned it over after missing two open shooters on that offensive rebound with about 4 minutes to go up 10, my heart sank. That was nearly the difference maker if you ask me. Thank goodness for Groce defense down the stretch!

I think Marshall took Wynn's minutes in the second half which needed to happen. Also without Tribble his toughness and hustle was HUGE! Wish he would've buried one of those open threes. 

Nuga is a great player, and Pippen whos like 45 years old and has no legs won't go down in Kent State history as he should, but man that dude is a baller and I respect the hell out of him. I loved to see Marshall get under his skin, that was a key.

The energy wasn't there early on and I think a lot of that has to do with the missed shots early. Trimble only forced one of them, but the rest were fine takes. Fire away brother. 

Dailey was getting abused all first half by Nuga but stepped up to have an okay defensive performance. I don't understand his value on offense yet. Another nice game by Ali, I'd like to see him take more shots when driving though, he's long and can handle the ball, but seemed to just look to pass. That's all fine and good, but put one up there!

Clarke will be a nice player, I wish that half court would've counted!!! That wide open top of the key three will fall with time, I really like him.

All in all, that game should never be that close. Akron is so much better than Kent for the first time in a while if you ask me. But a win is a win is a win. On to the next one, Go Zips!

LCJ is definitely an elite PG, and would have been an added plus on a number of past Akron teams. However, to date he has not had much consistent backcourt help and playing such huge minutes takes its toll by Feb/March. As for "so much better than ..." I think it's a little early in the season to make that claim. Historically, both of these teams get better as the season wears on. Freeman is a HUGE plus and will only get better. Also agree at least a couple of the power conference transfers have to start playing their part ... agree about Nuga and Pippen.

• Like 1

I saw Michael Nuga play several times for Portland State, another of my alma maters.  He didn't seem like anything more than a good Big Sky conference guard.  They had another guard there who's a grad Xfer at Ariz. State now and was better than Nuga.  Anyone remember when Zips played Viks in Alaska?  Sad day (for Akron)!  Forget if it was Dambrot or Hipsher team.  KD, I believe...

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I saw Michael Nuga play several times for Portland State, another of my alma maters.  He didn't seem like anything more than a good Big Sky conference guard.  They had another guard there who's a grad Xfer at Ariz. State now and was better than Nuga.  Anyone remember when Zips played Viks in Alaska?  Sad day (for Akron)!  Forget if it was Dambrot or Hipsher team.  KD, I believe...

I believe that was early KD, nice memory!