Game 6- Eastern Michigan (for now)

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Zips in a funk and that happens sometimes, but damn, they're getting outworked and that's unacceptable.

It only took Rob Murphy 10 years to discover have three huge lumbering players in the game doesn't make you a good defensive team.

BG and Toledo were have played close to 13 games and notice they are at the top of the MAC.  This just isn't going to be a fair season.  Groce will see who isn't working and show them the door.

22 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I get that, but EMU has only played 5 games to date.

Clark, I think you missed my point.  And it it could just as easily be Akron up by 20.  You aren't going to get the consistency when this game would normally be against Arkansas Pine Bluff or whatever.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How did he look?

Tall.  LOL

Tough to tell.  Played 3 minutes of garbage time.  Had a couple of rebounds and made two free throws.  Also had two fouls in those 3 minutes.  I would say he did not look clumsy as some young big men will.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Maishe Dailey’s been a colossal disappointment for me thus far. If he’s not going to play well, he could at least play with some toughness. He’s been a total non-factor.  

Clarke looked good in his limited minutes. He played like our second-best player today.

Glad to see Currie get some minutes. Idk what to think about that situation.

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Maishe Dailey’s been a colossal disappointment for me thus far. If he’s not going to play well, he could at least play with some toughness. He’s been a total non-factor.  

Clarke looked good in his limited minutes. He played like our second-best player today.

Glad to see Currie get some minutes. Idk what to think about that situation.

Somebody has to step up and take the spot as the number 2 option.  Last year, LCJ had Cheese and X while no one has stepped up this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

I hate this zone. Taking deep threes probably won't end well for us.

The prescience is strong in this one.

Normally we'd be warming up against a directional Carolina and not a directional Michigan six games into the season, so I'm not trying to read too much into this one.

It's always a grind against Murphy and EMU. It looks like the 2-3 zone took away our 3 ball. It worked quite well for them, their length bothered our guards, took away passing lanes, and it exposed our lack of size in the post. I suspect that's why we saw Currie somewhat early on. No offense to Freeman, he works really hard out there.

Early on, I thought it looked like Dailey was starting to find his rhythm but they took him out of the game too. Sometimes you just don't have it and credit has to go to the EMU defense too, regardless, stinkers like this happen sometimes.

I think this team has the potential to make noise in the MAC Tournament, it's just a matter of getting all 5 cylinders to fire together. It has been a very strange start to the season, as it has been for a lot of programs.

I'm looking forward to the BG and Rockettes' games. If we get hammered in both of those games, then I'll be concerned. But I don't think that we will (especially not against toledo, because that "school" is a community college compared to Bowling Green).

Edited by ZippyforPresident
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ZippyforPresident said:

The prescience is strong in this one.

Normally we'd be warming up against a directional Carolina and not a directional Michigan six games into the season, so I'm not trying to read too much into this one.

It's always a grind against Murphy and EMU. It looks like they went from a 2-3 to a 3-2 zone to take away our 3 ball. It worked quite well for them, their length bothered our guards, took away passing lanes, and it exposed our lack of size in the post. I suspect that's why we saw Currie somewhat early on. No offense to Freeman, he works really hard out there.

Early on, I thought it looked like Dailey was starting to find his rhythm but they took him out of the game too. Sometimes you just don't have it and credit has to go to the EMU defense too, regardless, stinkers like this happen sometimes.

I think this team has the potential to make noise in the MAC Tournament, it's just a matter of getting all 5 cylinders to fire together. It has been a very strange start to the season, as it has been for a lot of programs.

I'm looking forward to the BG and Rockettes' games. If we get hammered in both of those games, then I'll be concerned. But I don't think that we will (especially not against toledo, because that "school" is a community college compared to Bowling Green).

Not to be a debbie downer, but Toledo looks to be the class of the MAC to this point ... and if Turner/LCJ balance each other out at BG (and neither team has a post presence of note) then it will be interesting to see which team has a true No. 2 and which does not. This season has a long way to go IMO.

I was busy so I couldn't watch, and I certainly have no interest watching the replay, so 640 WHLO is where I was yesterday. It sounds to me like Ali was getting it in that high post but was hesitant to put shots up. That's my biggest complaint of his so far, he's afraid to attack and shoot the mid range. Same goes for Dailey, he's fully capable of excelling in that role, why he doesn't try is beyond me. Rewind to the 2018 MAC tournament against them, Utomi was killing it in that high post mid range game before the collapse. Beating them isn't rocket science. And losing yesterday isn't the end of the world, we're not the first good team a bad EMU has beaten.

Groce sounded like he was in 2018 on the post game, absolutely refused to make any excuses or dig for positives. I expect a couple of really good practices coming up.

If one of those two stepped up to fill the Cheese/X role, this team has the potential to be lethal like last year's, with Trimble as a solid 3&D and eventually Aziz/Freeman as rim protectors. I won't make any excuses because I've definitely been disappointed so far this year, but I keep saying a full offseason would have this team on a different level for a reason. Time will tell, I'm feeling better than I did 2 years ago around this time, but certainly not as good as I was looking at the roster this past summer.

Now time for a business trip to Dekalb. 1-0. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Wtf happened today

The team was disjointed.  Nobody, especially LCJ ever got into a rhythm.  Nobody stepped up when LCJ struggled.  They often got outhustled/outworked.  For stretches in the game EMU made everything.  The Zips had trouble with the zone.  Just ugly all around.

I'm not an excuses guy, but I can't get too worked up about this loss or even the season, considering these games are played in empty arenas and the scheduling is so disjointed.  Clearly, they did something right in NW Ohio, and BG and Toledo have a huge leg up on the rest of the MAC.  My goal for the Zips is to stay in the top 8 and make the the MAC tournament.  Rack up wins where they can and hope something breaks well for them.

23 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm not an excuses guy, but I can't get too worked up about this loss or even the season, considering these games are played in empty arenas and the scheduling is so disjointed.  Clearly, they did something right in NW Ohio, and BG and Toledo have a huge leg up on the rest of the MAC.  My goal for the Zips is to stay in the top 8 and make the the MAC tournament.  Rack up wins where they can and hope something breaks well for them.

Yep, tough to get too up or too down in this weird year.  Following the same timing as in past years, they'll be in mid-season form at the end of the season.

My biggest concern yesterday was as Groce described-   “We’re soft."  "We weren’t very tough with the ball. We weren’t very tough defensively."  With limited practices and games in this weird year I can excuse missed shots and players being out of sync with their teammates, but being soft and bad defense are effort things.

Not the end of the world.  On to NIU.  Here's hoping that game was a one off and not a not a blueprint for future teams stopping the Zips.

Edited by clarkwgriswold