Game 8- Toledo

clarkwgriswold

I think there's a lot to be said for continuity, and the Zips haven't had any this season. Few practices, and fewer games. That's tough for a team that has so many new faces.

That said, those are the cards we've been dealt. The door is wide open for any player desiring playing time to get it if he can provide a consistent offensive presence, and get a few floor burns on defense. Aside from brief flashes of marksmanship from Trimble, none of our highly touted newbies has shown they know what it takes to win in the MAC. They need to dig deeper. Make an impact on defense if your shot isn't falling. Get some fast break points.

Our #2 best player is a walk-on. And it is arguable that Ali Ali could be our #3 most impactful player this season. Their energy and athleticism stands out. That's beyond surprising, considering we brought in players from Iowa, Wake Forest and Saint Johns whose energy has yet to stand out.

• Like 3

Given the previous two games it would logically follow that we would get blown out against Toledo but who knows... Like many of you have said, the team has a lot of talent. They've showcased their talent miraculously against Ohio and Kent but struggled against the less talented teams... Is this a case of playing down to their opponents? Even scrimmage games against Malone, we struggled to maintain intensity against a lesser opponent. 

I guess we'll find out Saturday! Does Toledo still have that tall caucasion center who can shoot? - it feels like he's been there forever.

22 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Given the previous two games it would logically follow that we would get blown out against Toledo but who knows... Like many of you have said, the team has a lot of talent. They've showcased their talent miraculously against Ohio and Kent but struggled against the less talented teams... Is this a case of playing down to their opponents? Even scrimmage games against Malone, we struggled to maintain intensity against a lesser opponent. 

I guess we'll find out Saturday! Does Toledo still have that tall caucasion center who can shoot? - it feels like he's been there forever.

That was Knapke from Marion Local.  He graduated and is playing in Europe.

Oh, by the way, Toledo beat Eastern last night by 33!  96-63.  

22 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think there's a lot to be said for continuity, and the Zips haven't had any this season. Few practices, and fewer games. That's tough for a team that has so many new faces.

That said, those are the cards we've been dealt. The door is wide open for any player desiring playing time to get it if he can provide a consistent offensive presence, and get a few floor burns on defense. Aside from brief flashes of marksmanship from Trimble, none of our highly touted newbies has shown they know what it takes to win in the MAC. They need to dig deeper. Make an impact on defense if your shot isn't falling. Get some fast break points.

Our #2 best player is a walk-on. And it is arguable that Ali Ali could be our #3 most impactful player this season. Their energy and athleticism stands out. That's beyond surprising, considering we brought in players from Iowa, Wake Forest and Saint Johns whose energy has yet to stand out.

Our 2nd guy has yet to emerge. Love freeman’s progression and story but he’s not a 5 and the fact that we have to start him there and play him 25+ mins shows how bad our other big men are. Reece is capable but can’t play big mins without getting in foul trouble. Rebounding and rim protection have been an issue for us this season. Trust me no division 1 coach wants to start a walk on unless they absolutely have to. I think for us to have a chance at repeating Tribble and Dailey have to step up I also think if LCJ played off the ball more he’d get more open shots and it’d open things up a lot more for him to make plays for himself and others. He’s having to work too hard to create. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

Our 2nd guy has yet to emerge. Love freeman’s progression and story but he’s not a 5 and the fact that we have to start him there and play him 25+ mins shows how bad our other big men are. Reece is capable but can’t play big mins without getting in foul trouble. Rebounding and rim protection have been an issue for us this season. Trust me no division 1 coach wants to start a walk on unless they absolutely have to. I think for us to have a chance at repeating Tribble and Dailey have to step up I also think if LCJ played off the ball more he’d get more open shots and it’d open things up a lot more for him to make plays for himself and others. He’s having to work too hard to create. 

Good post Bizip1.  They need that number two option and fast.  I'd also like to see someone else occasionally play the point with LCJ in the game running off of picks to get open shots rather than always having to create his opportunities off of the dribble.

I've been a little disappointed in Reece in that I have not seen a lot of development and growth in his game since his arrival.  Currie or Bandaogo coming along would be a huge help.

• Thanks 1

LCJ has to get a little more creative. He’s not surprising anyone any more he’s literally one of the top scorers in the country. Lots of film on him now so defenses will be focused on stopping him. He should be running his man into solid off ball screens and pin downs nobody is gonna let him dribble around til he finds a look I want more Steph Curry less James Harden.

• Like 1

The last couple of games I have seen little penetration and a lot of 3 point shooting.  Unfortunately, a lot of bad 3 point shooting.  We are shooting 31.9 % from 3.  I check the stats and here are the number of 3 ball shots the players are taking:

Trimble: 51 of his 62 shots 

Dailey 30 of 52

LCJ 59 of 106

Ali 22 of 42

Dawson 21 of 27

Does anyone remember Ali being a prolific 3 point shooter last year.   We only got to the foul line 13 times in the last 2 games.  We are an outside shooting team.  If we are hitting the 3 ball we will win and if we struggle, we will lose.  Lets hope the Zips find the 3 point range today or things could get ugly.   

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

The last couple of games I have seen little penetration and a lot of 3 point shooting.  Unfortunately, a lot of bad 3 point shooting.  We are shooting 31.9 % from 3.  I check the stats and here are the number of 3 ball shots the players are taking:

Trimble: 51 of his 62 shots 

Dailey 30 of 52

LCJ 59 of 106

Ali 22 of 42

Dawson 21 of 27

Does anyone remember Ali being a prolific 3 point shooter last year.   We only got to the foul line 13 times in the last 2 games.  We are an outside shooting team.  If we are hitting the 3 ball we will win and if we struggle, we will lose.  Lets hope the Zips find the 3 point range today or things could get ugly.   

I don't remember Ali being any type of shooter last year.  He was timid and looked like he couldn't get rod of the ball fast enough.  I think the staff this year has tried to push him out of that timid offensive shell.

26 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Not to mention, it’s not like he’s been shooting at a bad clip or anything, at least based on my observation. We need people to be aggressive.

I said it earlier, but he's been our 3rd most impactful player this year. He reminds me a lot of Deji Ibitayo. Long, athletic and raw as a freshman. Improved every year.