Game 8- Toledo

clarkwgriswold

Kudos to LCJ for drawing the defense and picking it to a teammate for a three on both the Ali and Dailey threes.  With the way he's being defended there needs to be more of that and his teammates have to be ready to step up and make those shots.

It seems that the Zips play up or down to the competition but it think it's actually more of a case of a team that's still coming together in this weird damn year.

22 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It seems that the Zips play up or down to the competition but it think it's actually more of a case of a team that's still coming together in this weird damn year.

I think we're going to see a few more games like this, but also a few more head scratchers.  Win enough games to get a decent seed and then be peaking come MAC tournament time.

• Like 3

Garvin Clarke MVP!!!

But seriously, how fun would the JAR have been today?!?!?!?!?! That was an incredible basketball game, talent everywhere and close all the way. As amazing as LCJ is, he made a lot of big mistakes today. He had a few awful turnovers and forced a lot of shots, including a couple BS flop attempts. Those made me furious, those are plays the 2018-2019 LCJ made.

Maishe Dailey, aside from the shot (!!!!!!) looked like he needed to today. He didn't settle for jumpers and made some looks at the bucket, he needs to be even more aggressive. 

I agree on Ali's defense, that was surprising. He sure has been clutch this week!

Trimble is so smooth, he creates his own shot so easily and has amazing range, he's incredible when he hits, unfortunately this is only the second such performance we've seen like that.

This team isn't bad at all, but it's still a far way from great. There's a lot of work to do, March March March! Go Zips!

• Like 1

in 2020 seemed like season was on the brink, Zips had lost two games in a row (to albeit tougher teams) Buffalo and Kent then faced Eastern Michigan at the JAR.  Zips were down by 6 to the Eagles with 1.06 left.  Zips came back with the help of missed free throws by EMU. 

Fast forward, Zips lose two in a row, season seems on the brink, and pull out a win after being down 7 with 1.30 left with help from Toledo's missed FTs down the stretch.

Just finished watching the replay since I couldn't catch this one live. I had a good feeling we'd bounce back today. It's cute when toledo starts to think it's an elite mac basketball program again.

This one was worth the price of admission, or at least my espn+ subscription ?

1. Outside of Jackson, the bulk of our scoring is probably going to come from Trimble and Dailey. Without them, we'd have been sunk today. They really stepped up and it was fun to watch!

2. Clarke and Tribble: Clarke looked great in his 6 minutes with 7 points and a lot of effort. I believe Tribble has been nursing an ankle sprain, but once he's 100%, it will give us a lot with his ability to penetrate and knock down runners.

3. Reece is an athletic power forward reminiscent of Tree Treadwell. The only problem is that he doesn't have a Zeke Marshall to play with. Rebounding and defending the rim will be our issues this season, so everybody had better put a body on somebody when a shot goes up. Again, that's not a knock on Freeman. He's a  6'7" walk on that had 7 boards today, alters or blocks numerous shots, and leaves it all on the floor. 

4. If you hang around long enough, you give yourself a chance to win. There were times we could have packed it in today but didn't.

5. Jackie Windon is a very good color commentator. If I were coaching a team of younger players, I'd have them watch Zips games because of her. She explains the game well and provides valuable insight. With Frenchie gone, she's now our favorite Zips Basketball commentator! 

Edited by ZippyforPresident
  • Thanks 2

Akron is 3-2 in MAC play. All 3 wins have been at home and two of those were wins against teams that should finish in the top half of the MAC. Both losses were on the road to 2 of the worst teams in the MAC. I don't think it's necessarily an issue of playing up or down to competition. We frankly just haven't learnt to play well outside of the JAR

On 1/16/2021 at 2:56 PM, ZippyforPresident said:

5. Jackie Windon is a very good color commentator. If I were coaching a team of younger players, I'd have them watch Zips games because of her. She explains the game well and provides valuable insight. With Frenchie gone, she's now our favorite Zips Basketball commentator! 

Has Frenchie moved to Maui yet? ??

Can anyone comment on how Toledo has had such a change in their level of play this season?  Weren't they the pre-season pick to win the league last year, along with BG but fell flat and ended like 11th in conference play?  Marreon Jackson may be the second best player in the league, not to leave out Preston but MJ seems to be a more complete player.

Edited by Z.I.P.
Tolefo

4 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Can anyone comment on how Toledo has had such a change in their level of play this season?  Weren't they the pre-season pick to win the league last year, along with BG but fell flat and ended like 11th in conference play?  Marreon Jackson may be the second best player in the league, not to leave out Preston but MJ seems to be a more complete player.

Were you at the Akron/Toledo game at the JAR last year?  They have/had the ability to catch on fire.  the Jacksons were unstoppable.  They cratered last year but were the 7th seed

21 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Were you at the Akron/Toledo game at the JAR last year?  They have/had the ability to catch on fire.  the Jacksons were unstoppable.  They cratered last year but were the 7th seed

Nope, Im 8000 miles away on the Island of O'ahu.  Only get to see games on the screen.