2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

I hate every last bit of stories like this.  That being said, the football team has roughly 100 18 to 23 year old males on it at any given time.  Things like this happen in that age demographic.  I'd say 1 in a hundred is ahead of the curve.  If we come to learn this type of behavior is common among Zips players, I will become very concerned, but as long as this remains a single case of a kid possessing a gun and not using it to harm anyone, I'm less concerned than I was with the Diggs, Treadwell or Abreu situations that occurred in the basketball program.

Don't get me wrong, I am not excusing this kid's conduct, but for his sake, let's hope he gets this situation and his life in order and moves on with a productive life, with or without Zips football.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Whatever makes you feel better about pretending AAU/G5 Cincinnati has the same budget as MAC/G5 Bowling Green. 

Each is "...just another G5 program," right?

Sure.  I guess we can relegate ourselves to another tier beneath G5.  We can call it, "FCS+."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Can you detail what happened to Teon?  Carrying a gun can be allowed.  In deer season, there are thousands of people carrying loaded guns.

Not a lot of deer loose on the 600 Block of Sherman Street in Akron.  The full article is up on page two of this thread.  It was a terrible decision by a young man that had a chance to be the focus of the offense.  I hope he gets his life together.  

Edited by Zip JD

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

Not a lot of deer loose on the 600 Block of Sherman Street in Akron.  The full article is up on page two of this thread.  It was a terrible decision by a young man that had a chance to be the focus of the offense.  I hope he gets his life together.  

He made a bad decision that he has to be responsible for. A loaded gun is unacceptable. His lie in saying he doesn't know where he got the gun only digs a deeper hole for him to get out of. Arth has been very vocal about high standards of character. Considering that I can't see Dollard playing this season. His troubles are way outside football and football does not have to keep him because he needs a rehabilitation program. 

Remember This Guy?

“I thought I had the world in my hands ... I didn’t have to listen to anyone because I already knew it all,” Howard continued. “No matter how good you are in sports and no matter how good you are in school, if you let negative people into your life, and if you let things in that aren’t going to push you closer to your goals — despite what you know is right — you’re never going to succeed.”

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

He will be in the starting backfield by game #2. Nothing to see here folks. 

I’m thinking/hoping this as well. Idk, but if it is a first time offense they may just try to scare him straight. If it’s a first time offense I truly hope they don’t ruin his life over it.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There's no presumption of prison time or probation on a third degree felony.  If it gets pled down there's almost no chance of prison time.

Your right but he lied about the gun etc and that don’t fair too well. Plus what was his intent toting the gun around.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m thinking/hoping this as well. Idk, but if it is a first time offense they may just try to scare him straight. If it’s a first time offense I truly hope they don’t ruin his life over it.

B & G, no one in law enforcement, university administration or the judicial system are out to ruin his life. He is. He is accountable You put a bullet in a gun for only one purpose, to shoot it. Athletes do not deserve special treatment because they may be our star.If character counts he should be gone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

B & G, no one in law enforcement, university administration or the judicial system are out to ruin his life. He is. He is accountable You put a bullet in a gun for only one purpose, to shoot it. Athletes do not deserve special treatment because they may be our star.If character counts he should be gone.

Good stuff, @72 Roo.

Lot of jumping to conclusions here without knowing the story. What if a friend had it in his car and left it? Obviously not hanging out with high character people if that's the case but I don't think that warrants him ending his football career. Let's just let it play out

23 hours ago, LZIp said:

I hate to say this thought is creeping into my head, but can we really expect to ever be consistently competitive outside of our conference if we can't keep up financially with peers across the  country?

You should never hate to say the truth. If we cannot admit the truth, we can never solve problems.

You use the word "consistently".  It's the correct word. I have grown to be much less interested in the odd win every few years against the likes of Northwestern, Syracuse or Pittsburgh than I am more interested in consistent winning, watching good football, going to bowl games, making the MAC Championship and winning the MAC. This thread is about our schedule. Our OOC schedule is not set up for us to develop a winning program. It is set up for us to hoard money and pad the athletic director's resume. Being competitive is not a consideration. It's as if they took the famous quote from Apollo 13, "Failure is not an option." and turned it into "Failure is our only option. Aim it straight towards the sun and go full thrusters.".

If we have learned anything about college football, it is that the more you win, the more you win. It is no accident Clemson, OSU and Alabama are in the invitational tournament every year. Are the OOC schedules for these teams set up for them to compete or win? Have a look at them. There is little risk in their OOC scheduling. The only real threat to any of these teams is the first Clemson game against Georgia in Charlotte. Georgia is like Oregon...big name that never comes through in big games.

I want the Zips to be consistently competitive against not only the MAC schools, but schools like UNCC, Utah State, North Texas State, Appalachian State, etc.  Let's get good where we can get consistently competitive. Our current schedule is a distraction from that.

• Like 1

For whatever its worth, sometimes I'm known to carry a loaded, concealed gun around. I don't intend to ever shoot anyone, but its nice to know if I ever need it that I have it. Sherman St in Akron is probably a place it would make sense to carry.

The difference for me however is that I do it legally. Of course there are also some hoops to jump through to be able to do that, which consist of age, time, and financial resources.

The situation is a bad look regardless. Just offering a different perspective. Whatever the intent was, I hope Dollard gets and stays on the right track or he might end up throwing away an opportunity that could change his and his family's life for generations to come. Its not worth it man.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Some blurbs from GT's article today-

University of Akron football coach Tom Arth can’t sing the praises of freshman running back Jonzell Norrils loud enough.

The 5-foot-10, 210-pound freshman out of Toledo Central Catholic has taken a significant number of reps in spring practice so far and has shown elusiveness and the ability to break tackles. 

“He came and really showed some flashes and signs of ability,” Arth said, “but coming back this winter, he was like a completely new person. He had a completely different mindset and approach to his training, nutrition and he’s changed his body…and it’s shown up for us.

Norrils is but one part of a running back room that’s gone from desert to oasis in two years. In the offseason, the Zips added Michigan State transfer Anthony Williams to the fold and promising freshman Jaylen Ball, whose brother Warren played the same position for UA, along with Isiah Childs, among others.

Interesting that the article encouraging us to be enthusiastic about the running backs hits the day after the Dollard story.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Which one? Burt Reynolds or Adam Sandler?

Burt Reynolds" performance as ex-jock who played football while in prison was enjoyable and fun to watch.

Adam Sandler's performance as ex-jock who played football while in prison made you wish you were in prison to avoid having to watch it.

• Haha 4