2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

There’s a nice story on the scrimmage too, if someone wants to post a link. If not, I’ll do it in a couple hours.

Limited to subscribers-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/03/27/university-akron-zips-football-juco-transfer-making-impression/7002947002/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Can someone summarize for those of us who do not subscribe? Thanks.

Kato looking good, Arth wants to make sure he isn’t pushing shoulder too hard. 

Gibson still needs to work on fundamentals. Arth still makes mention of his natural talent, however. 

DJ Irons out with illness (but not COVID). Expectation is that QB battle will go into summer.

SL McCall opening eyes. He will probably play DE in situations with 4 down lineman. Can play OLB too.

D-Line got the better of the o-line in general.

I agree, nice article. Nice to finally get some information since the U is putting out literally nothing

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

https://www.c-span.org/video/?508652-1/ncaa-v-alston-oral-argument

I will put this hear because it is somewhat relevant to Akron's pay to play schedule.  The link is to the supreme court arguments on NCAA athlete compensation.  There's a lower court ruling that allows for almost $6000 per year in compensation and unlimited  post-grad "internship" payments.  But the problem is that every year there's going to be more and more litigation and athletes going to court saying the $6000 isn't enough. Also, they discuss how only a few schools profit from athletics.  Not sure how it's going to come out, but I don't think the Supreme Courts wants the federal courts putting the NCAA in receivership and monitor all of this.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?508652-1/ncaa-v-alston-oral-argument

I will put this hear because it is somewhat relevant to Akron's pay to play schedule.  The link is to the supreme court arguments on NCAA athlete compensation.  There's a lower court ruling that allows for almost $6000 per year in compensation and unlimited  post-grad "internship" payments.  But the problem is that every year there's going to be more and more litigation and athletes going to court saying the $6000 isn't enough. Also, they discuss how only a few schools profit from athletics.  Not sure how it's going to come out, but I don't think the Supreme Courts wants the federal courts putting the NCAA in receivership and monitor all of this.

I here what you are saying, but the link you have drawn between pay for play and compensating individual players is tenuous.

I am truly disappointed.  2021 schedule?  I'm getting to the point that I don't care.  No one on the football staff or athletic dept seems to have any interest in generating any excitement. I don't bother to read any "I'd rather cover OSU" GT.  Spring games build some excitement.  If fans can't attend, why can't the U pod cast the game, if they are even going to have one.  Are they planning to surprise people in the fall?  Won't they be surprised if nobody cares?!

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

I am truly disappointed.  2021 schedule?  I'm getting to the point that I don't care.  No one on the football staff or athletic dept seems to have any interest in generating any excitement. I don't bother to read any "I'd rather cover OSU" GT.  Spring games build some excitement.  If fans can't attend, why can't the U pod cast the game, if they are even going to have one.  Are they planning to surprise people in the fall?  Won't they be surprised if nobody cares?!

https://gozips.com/sports/football/schedule

13 hours ago, Ham said:

It'd be nice to have a good, old fashioned Spring Game.  I used to look forward to those.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, Ham said:

I get the feeling that our athletic administration felt they could not market football no matter what so they just quit trying to get people excited. How else can you explain such incompetence? It seems they are hell bent on missing every opportunity to hype Akron football. Chad Welker can give post event interviews on WLAX or baseball or track, but not on spring football progress? Maybe the team will be so bad they have given up. This athletic administration seems incapable of generating excitement and not wanting to do so. There has been no good news about football for months. A dept overhaul is needed an unfortunately that means we will wait another 2-3 years to see the results. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I get the feeling that our athletic administration felt they could not market football no matter what so they just quit trying to get people excited. How else can you explain such incompetence? It seems they are hell bent on missing every opportunity to hype Akron football. Chad Welker can give post event interviews on WLAX or baseball or track, but not on spring football progress? Maybe the team will be so bad they have given up. This athletic administration seems incapable of generating excitement and not wanting to do so. There has been no good news about football for months. A dept overhaul is needed an unfortunately that means we will wait another 2-3 years to see the results. 

A conspiratorial soul might think it's all done as part of a bigger plan by the administration to downgrade football to FCS or D2. 

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I wouldn't say they have given up. Maybe they made a rational choice. I would say that with games at OSU and Auburn they probably met their budgetary "goals" for the upcoming 21-22 school year. Why blow money trying to convince people to come to Tuesday night games in November? Or, try to convince people to come to their only home ooc game against.... what's that teams name again? Or trying to sell another 1-3 start with two games being complete blow outs. 

There will be a cleaning of the house with a new AD. Is the fact that the MAC is Hell bent on destroying their football programs going to change?  Probably not. I would say that what goes on in the MAC offices is sinister, but I don't think the leadership of the MAC is smart enough to be sinister. The ADs on the other hand.... they are just sinister enough in their resume development to destroy the schools they work for while blaming the MAC offices.