2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

It’s very sad that the fans don’t get updated in nothing. I haven’t seen nothing on Twitter, school website, news paper etc. this is unbelievable to me. I think something has to change how do you support a team that the athletic department, social media don’t even support. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Zippy7373 said:

It’s very sad that the fans don’t get updated in nothing. I haven’t seen nothing on Twitter, school website, news paper etc. this is unbelievable to me. I think something has to change how do you support a team that the athletic department, social media don’t even support. 

Well said. I have nothing more, to add.

9 hours ago, Zippy7373 said:

Well, we do have the Beacon.  💣

Re the spring game, I feel like I've known for a while there wouldn't be open, at least open to the public. No insider info..I read or heard it somewhere.

The lack of media attention sucks! No doubt about it. No spring roster, no interviews, etc. It definitely hurts fan engagement IMO. However, I would assume its at least in large part due to budget cuts. People love shitting on UA sports (even more so football), but they took their share of budget cuts as well.

GO ZIPS does have interviews and write ups covering other sports.  The total absence of any communication from the football staff stinks.  Covid times are tough, but when things get tough, the tough get going.  Its time to suck it up, and act like they care.  

I’ve watched interviews with the other sports all spring. The last video I saw of Arth was the signing day one. We have saw a couple articles posted through the Beacon but nothing other than that. I know it’s crazy but it needs to change. We just want a weekly update if we can. Not talking about Ohio State coverage but the same coverage as our conference mates. Is that hard to ask for? Like some schools do position breakdowns and that’s a write up. Some people do coordinator interviews and that ain’t the whole spring just at the beginning. All these things don’t require you to have a full staff to do so. You need a SID and local paper or the same person that interview other sports 

3 hours ago, Zippy7373 said:

I’ve watched interviews with the other sports all spring. The last video I saw of Arth was the signing day one. We have saw a couple articles posted through the Beacon but nothing other than that. I know it’s crazy but it needs to change. We just want a weekly update if we can. Not talking about Ohio State coverage but the same coverage as our conference mates. Is that hard to ask for? Like some schools do position breakdowns and that’s a write up. Some people do coordinator interviews and that ain’t the whole spring just at the beginning. All these things don’t require you to have a full staff to do so. You need a SID and local paper or the same person that interview other sports 

I have saw your last two posts and you are spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As meaningless as it largely is, I enjoy reading other college coach's Twitter feeds hyping up the team and recruiting and what not. It's just cool to see and gets me excited. We have a few assistants that do some stuff, but nothing close to what other places do. This coaching staff has a serious identity problem. Nobody knows anything about them or their personalities, and therefore, the common Zip fan following social media has no reason to care. Maybe if they connected directly with the fans more, both sides would be more inclined to support each other. I don't know, I'm just bored by Akron football right now. 

• Like 3

I think this new transfer rule, though seemingly expected, will lead to a few new faces that can immediately contribute (which we've all been wanting). Just reading between the lines on some coach tweets and my belief there are still scholly's available. They've had spring ball to see where the biggest needs are for the upcoming season, now lets fill holes and get more competitive.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 12:10 PM, Lee Adams said:

Has anybody heard what if any attendance restrictions will be in place this season? I e-mailed the ticket office last week and never got a reply.

It's funny you bring this up. I'm going to assume you may be discussing things such as masks and social distancing. My wife and I discussed this last weekend and decided if Wake Forest or the State of North Carolina is going to require masks at games, we are not buying tickets. They still have some of our money from last year. We will get that refunded and do something else with it. Last year we went to two games and had to sit there for 3 hours with a mask on when there was not another person within 20 feet. We simply are not going to spend our money to participate this year given the high level of vaccinations and increased knowledge of the virus. Given their attendance, I am confident I will be able to repurchase my existing tickets on the 50 yard line relatively easily. Heck, maybe we will find something else to do with our recreational time in the fall. The beach is a fun place to go in the fall.

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

It's funny you bring this up. I'm going to assume you may be discussing things such as masks and social distancing. My wife and I discussed this last weekend and decided if Wake Forest or the State of North Carolina is going to require masks at games, we are not buying tickets. They still have some of our money from last year. We will get that refunded and do something else with it. Last year we went to two games and had to sit there for 3 hours with a mask on when there was not another person within 20 feet. We simply are not going to spend our money to participate this year given the high level of vaccinations and increased knowledge of the virus. Given their attendance, I am confident I will be able to repurchase my existing tickets on the 50 yard line relatively easily. Heck, maybe we will find something else to do with our recreational time in the fall. The beach is a fun place to go in the fall.

Speaking of Wake Forest, I wish Akron could get a home and home with them, or just go there a couple of times. That's one of my favorite areas in the country, and it's an easy drive from Northeast Ohio.

30 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Speaking of Wake Forest, I wish Akron could get a home and home with them, or just go there a couple of times. That's one of my favorite areas in the country, and it's an easy drive from Northeast Ohio.

I would love it also. However, it isn't how WF schedules OOC games. They know who they are and they compete at their level. Basically, they are an ACC school for brainy kids and try to compete against other brainy schools. G5 schools could learn a lot from this type of "know your identity" scheduling. Upcoming Wake OOC games include:

2021 - @Army, @UNC (Not an ACC game, but smartly contracted so fans can have some fun. I'll probably go. Can't beat a first weekend of November weather in Chapel Hill. Why don't we play Toledo every year regardless of the MAC schedule first or second week of the season?)

2022 - @Vandy, Army

2023 - Vandy, Air Force

2024 - @Army, Mississippi (low level SEC school with good academic standards)

2025 - Army, @Mississippi

2026 - @Purdue (excellent academic school), @Army, They also have NIU which is unusual...this game may never happen.

2027 - Tulane

In recent years they have also played Rice, Baylor, Stanford, Tulane and Navy.

I know they throw in some bottom feeders, but that is the nature of P5 schedules. Although, ODU is not a program to sneeze at next year. Lots of good talent in the Virginia Beach area.

I don't think it is crazy for MAC schools to play 10 conference games, one cupcake and one G5 school. Maybe 9 conference games, two G5 schools and one cupcake. Either would be better than what is currently being shoveled out for fans to watch/endure. Early season college football is mildly interesting at best the way it is currently scheduled. 

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

They know who they are and they compete at their level. Basically, they are an ACC school for brainy kids and try to compete against other brainy schools. G5 schools could learn a lot from this type of "know your identity" scheduling... Why don't we play Toledo every year regardless of the MAC schedule first or second week of the season?...  I don't think it is crazy for MAC schools to play 10 conference games, one cupcake and one G5 school. Maybe 9 conference games, two G5 schools and one cupcake. Either would be better than what is currently being shoveled out for fans to watch/endure. Early season college football is mildly interesting at best the way it is currently scheduled. 

💯

If you're going to schedule a P5 school schedule a bottom-half-tier P5 school - exactly like Wake's OOC scheduling.  This year we're playing a perennial Top 10 and a perennial Top 3.  Whoever scheduled those games, as my dad likes to say, should have their head examined.

Edit:  And once again, I've got to complement what you say about Toledo.  I've been saying that for years.  Why are we not intentionally stoking that natural, regional rivalry every year?  Walsh & Malone have a Mayor's Cup basketball game, where the mayors of North Canton and Canton have some sort of wager riding on the game (I think the presidents of the two schools do as well).  It's a lot of fun and the respective student bodies really embrace it.  The more rivals the better.  We have a rival I hate in Kent and two rivals I love to hate in OU & UB.  Toledo is a natural rival which we are idiots for not fostering.

Edited by Blue & Gold

I have to say it is a little shocking to see the completely lack of momentum or activity from Zips FB. I started following ULM Football on social media to see how Bowden changes his style and it has been a constant stream of activity, including replies and retweets from former Zips FB. 

Bowden is active on Twitter. Rich Rod had TB on his podcast this week, and ULM coaches are on a Shreveport radio station every Wednesday AM. 

By the way, Bowden mentioned recently that he has raised $350k since he arrived in Monroe. He sees fundraising as part of his role.

Bowden and his staff aren't waiting for the ULM administration to do the heavy lifting.it makes me wonder what Arth is waiting for?

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

💯

If you're going to schedule a P5 school schedule a bottom-half-tier P5 school - exactly like Wake's OOC scheduling.  This year we're playing a perennial Top 10 and a perennial Top 3.  Whoever scheduled those games, as my dad likes to say, should have their head examined.

Edit:  And once again, I've got to complement what you say about Toledo.  I've been saying that for years.  Why are we not intentionally stoking that natural, regional rivalry every year?  Walsh & Malone have a Mayor's Cup basketball game, where the mayors of North Canton and Canton have some sort of wager riding on the game (I think the presidents of the two schools do as well).  It's a lot of fun and the respective student bodies really embrace it.  The more rivals the better.  We have a rival I hate in Kent and two rivals I love to hate in OU & UB.  Toledo is a natural rival which we are idiots for not fostering.

I've asked this before and I've never gotten an answer. What does Toledo get out of playing us?

8 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I've asked this before and I've never gotten an answer. What does Toledo get out of playing us?

I guess it's as simple as another rival.  Another game to circle on their calendar every year.  Presently I believe their only big rival is BUGS?

Someone else may pose the same question to us regarding them when it turns to basketball season.  But my answer would be the same - simply that rivalry games are fun. 

In basketball we already have an organic rivalry with UT.  I just think our respective administrations should get off their butts and actively stoke it in all sports.

(I guess if UT were in the MAC East it would take care of itself?)

12 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I have to say it is a little shocking to see the completely lack of momentum or activity from Zips FB. I started following ULM Football on social media to see how Bowden changes his style and it has been a constant stream of activity, including replies and retweets from former Zips FB. 

Bowden is active on Twitter. Rich Rod had TB on his podcast this week, and ULM coaches are on a Shreveport radio station every Wednesday AM. 

By the way, Bowden mentioned recently that he has raised $350k since he arrived in Monroe. He sees fundraising as part of his role.

Bowden and his staff aren't waiting for the ULM administration to do the heavy lifting.it makes me wonder what Arth is waiting for?

It does kind of create the impression of "if those involved in it aren't excited why should I be?" 

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I guess it's as simple as another rival.  Another game to circle on their calendar every year.  Presently I believe their only big rival is BUGS?

Someone else may pose the same question to us regarding them when it turns to basketball season.  But my answer would be the same - simply that rivalry games are fun. 

In basketball we already have an organic rivalry with UT.  I just think our respective administrations should get off their butts and actively stoke it in all sports.

(I guess if UT were in the MAC East it would take care of itself?)

What makes it a rivalry?