2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

If practice starts this week, shouldn't all of freshman recruits show up on the roster?  From the early signing period, the following are not on the roster: Hence, Lewis, Lyons, Malott, Proffitt, Roach, Singleton, Walker.  Are they not yet enrolled or are they not coming to Akron?  Anyone know the reason for certain?  

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

If practice starts this week, shouldn't all of freshman recruits show up on the roster?  From the early signing period, the following are not on the roster: Hence, Lewis, Lyons, Malott, Proffitt, Roach, Singleton, Walker.  Are they not yet enrolled or are they not coming to Akron?  Anyone know the reason for certain?  

probably won't update the roster until everyone reports for fall camp. Just saw Coach Z tweet a picture with Lyons the other day as a point of reference.

44 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think with COVID lingering it's difficult to get excited with a general sense of unease out there.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The support football has had from the athletics administration is appalling. There has been none. COVID has nothing to do with putting out more information in the spring on women's lacrosse than spring football and recruiting. The AD's office and sports information has deliberately decided to do and say nothing to get us excited about football. That is shameful for them and they need to be called out for it. All other MAC schools are doing more for their team than Akron. Their job performance in supporting football has been disgraceful. They re doing this for a reason and it is maddening to see the logic to it. We should not, and can not, tolerate this.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. The support football has had from the athletics administration is appalling. There has been none. COVID has nothing to do with putting out more information in the spring on women's lacrosse than spring football and recruiting. The AD's office and sports information has deliberately decided to do and say nothing to get us excited about football. That is shameful for them and they need to be called out for it. All other MAC schools are doing more for their team than Akron. Their job performance in supporting football has been disgraceful. They re doing this for a reason and it is maddening to see the logic to it. We should not, and can not, tolerate this.

jesus.  ok ok.  

• Haha 1

There isn't really a reason to be excited for the season. I'm looking forward to see the team competing and players continue to develop, but winning somewhere between 3-4 games would be "meeting expectations" in my eyes. We could end up being be surprised now that we have the starting QB back who is in year 3 of the system, many players got a lot of experience the past 2 years, we appear to be getting some old faces back in Jalen Hooks and Andre Williams per the roster online, and we've added some key transfers like Fann, Boateng, SL McCall, and Ant Williams that are filling holes and able to contribute immediately

Its a building process and I think we are a year away from a .500 or better season assuming it doesn't get blown up before then, but I think at this point there is definitely more potential in year 3 of the rebuild compared to year 1 and last year with everything surrounding that.

• Like 1

The schedule has six home games. Three of the games are Temple, Bryant (never heard of them) and a Wednesday night game. 

Overall, the first third of the season is a soul sucking disaster and that doesn't include two weeknight games in the back half. 

Someone put together a marketing plan that would get enough people excited to sell 5,000 legitimate season ticket packages for less than $1 million dollars.

The point is, there is no point in blowing marketing money selling junk to a football savvy population. Fix the schedule in a way the program can get some forward direction. Hint: Winning cures a lot of problems. Gradually lean into more marketing as the product improves. A lot has to change. 

Edited by GP1