2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

OOC schedule has six home games. Three of the games are Temple, Bryant (never heard of them) and a Wednesday night game. 

Overall, the first third of the season is a soul sucking disaster and that doesn't include two weeknight games in the back half. 

Someone put together a marketing plan that would get enough people excited to sell 5,000 legitimate season ticket packages for less than $1 million dollars.

The point is, there is no point in blowing marketing money selling junk to a football savvy population. Fix the schedule in a way the program can get some forward direction. Hint: Winning cures a lot of problems. Gradually lean into more marketing as the product improves. A lot has to change. 

I only see two OOC home games.

In fact, the first third of the season doesn't include any of the games from the second half of the schedule.

It shouldn't be tough to sell 5,000 season tickets for less than $1,000,000. Hell, if they get $90,000 I think they would be doing good.

I agree with your point.

7 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Are you certain it's not lingering effects of the flu pandemic of 1918?

I think it's very clear where this is going and there will be no fans at football or basketball.  So ... my point is that it's hard to market the sport or for a fan to get excited when the unvaccinated have chosen to ruin life for everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:06 PM, NWAkron said:

I think it's very clear where this is going and there will be no fans at football or basketball.  So ... my point is that it's hard to market the sport or for a fan to get excited when the unvaccinated have chosen to ruin life for everyone. 

Oh. I didn't realize the unvaccinated were responsible for the 💩 seasons and attendance prior to the Plandemic. Thank you for enlightening me.

• Thanks 1

So I scrubbed the roster the best I could..i think I'm going to wait a while before posting an updated scholarship chart in case there are changes, because honestly its hard to follow with all of the additions after the early signing day, but items to note that we didn't previously know (nothing too exciting):

Absent previously known scholarship players: Shawn Muldowney (OL) and Kevin Walls (WR) 

Absent previously known 2021 signees that are believed to be scholarship players: Andre Proffitt (DL)

Additions who are what I'd assume to be new scholarship players: Zach Morton (DL - previously with Syracuse on scholly), Andrew Behm (LB, who seemed to tear up JUCO as a true freshman in the limited spring 2021 season), Kevin Dever Jr (S - from St Eds, previous walk-on at OSU). 

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Morton-85536/

https://www.eccathletics.com/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20210615g0p1qa

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120694/former-ohio-state-walk-ons-kevin-dever-and-darryl-sinclair-in-transfer-portal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

So I scrubbed the roster the best I could..i think I'm going to wait a while before posting an updated scholarship chart in case there are changes, because honestly its hard to follow with all of the additions after the early signing day, but items to note that we didn't previously know (nothing too exciting):

Absent previously known scholarship players: Shawn Muldowney (OL) and Kevin Walls (WR) 

Absent previously known 2021 signees that are believed to be scholarship players: Andre Proffitt (DL)

Additions who are what I'd assume to be new scholarship players: Zach Morton (DL - previously with Syracuse on scholly), Andrew Behm (LB, who seemed to tear up JUCO as a true freshman in the limited spring 2021 season), Kevin Dever Jr (S - from St Eds, previous walk-on at OSU). 

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Morton-85536/

https://www.eccathletics.com/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20210615g0p1qa

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120694/former-ohio-state-walk-ons-kevin-dever-and-darryl-sinclair-in-transfer-portal 

I would add Malott as also not showing up on the roster.  I remember some discussions that he would not be a Zip and then he was coming back as possibly a walk on.  However, since he showed up on the early signing period list and in Coach Arth's details of players, I have to believe he was originally offered and accepted a scholly.  

I hope both Proffitt and Malott get on the roster.  I like to see a minimum of 2 OL and DL first year(freshman) recruits each year.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Not sure how season 3 with Arth can be considered a throwaway and a "rebuild." What were seasons 1 and 2? It's time for results, yet looking at this roster I don't expect to see them.

I was ok with going in a different direction from Bowden.  However, this roster is showing little promise and I'm not seeing more than two wins.  That is NOT ok for year three in a rebuild.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:07 PM, bigjim said:

I would add Malott as also not showing up on the roster.  I remember some discussions that he would not be a Zip and then he was coming back as possibly a walk on.  However, since he showed up on the early signing period list and in Coach Arth's details of players, I have to believe he was originally offered and accepted a scholly.  

I hope both Proffitt and Malott get on the roster.  I like to see a minimum of 2 OL and DL first year(freshman) recruits each year.  

So the zipsfb account just posted some photos on instagram with Andre Proffitt tagged in one, so clearly he's on the team and practicing even though not showing up on the roster online. This is the fun stuff we deal with. 

Really nice article by GT.

Article focusses on the fact all signs point to Kato starting, but, as we were discussing Kato's maturation during his years with the Zips, GT ended the article with this very mature perspective and quote from Kato:

Of course, there’s always the possibility he won’t be the starter.

“I might be the lead guy. I might not,” he said. “That's what we like to do in the QB room, compete. Competing brings the best out of all of us, so you got to love it.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Really nice article by GT.

Article focusses on the fact all signs point to Kato starting, but, as we were discussing Kato's maturation during his years with the Zips, GT ended the article with this very mature perspective and quote from Kato:

Of course, there’s always the possibility he won’t be the starter.

“I might be the lead guy. I might not,” he said. “That's what we like to do in the QB room, compete. Competing brings the best out of all of us, so you got to love it.”

I am often critical of GT, but that's a good article.  Looks like Kato really benefited from a year of watching and participating on ways other than being on the field.  He appears to have really matured and this team could obviously use the mature presence given their youth.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wish Kato the best and he's certainly earned the right to lead the team, but if he was a P5 talent he'd be a P5 player. 

How true, how true.

If my memory serves me correctly...    In his freshman year, many of us were upset at Bowden for not losing his redshirt year and playing Kato when we thought he would help us win.  Now, in year 6, many of us are hoping that the Zips move toward a younger QB to help us get more wins in the near future.  It is time to move on from Kato.

Big Jim, I was one of those who wanted us to go with Irons or our second teamer M?????? (however it is spelled) than Gibson or Kato. I still feel that way. But I am not at practice every day and I do not know who is producing. I will have to rely on the staff to make the best call for the program. My problem is that I have seen little that allows me to have confidence in the staff. I hope they prove me wrong this season. I want them to succeed.