2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

6 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

Anyone have any info or feedback on the scrimmage that occurred today?  I heard Kato and DJ Irons along with some RBs where missing.   

You are correct.  Kato, DJ Irons, Ant Williams & Jonzell Norrils were absent.  

When asked exactly how many of his players were not on the field, Coach Arth offered a blunt assessment. "A whole lot," he said. "We're missing a lot of guys who are going to be starting and playing significantly for us this year."

Arth wouldn't specify why the players were missing, but GT suggested it could be COVID.  

It must be.  Apparently the reason is neither related to injury nor disciplinary.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

You are correct.  Kato, DJ Irons, Ant Williams & Jonzell Norrils were absent.  

When asked exactly how many of his players were not on the field, Coach Arth offered a blunt assessment. "A whole lot," he said. "We're missing a lot of guys who are going to be starting and playing significantly for us this year."

Arth wouldn't specify why the players were missing, but GT suggested it could be COVID.  

It must be.  Apparently the reason is neither related to injury nor disciplinary.

Article said significant majority are vaccinated so hopefully these are mild cases.  This situation will likely pop up for a lot of teams.  On another note, good article!

*correction: significant majority of team is vaccinated, not necessarily the players who are out.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Article said significant majority are vaccinated so hopefully these are mild cases.  This situation will likely pop up for a lot of teams.  On another note, good article!

*correction: significant majority of team is vaccinated, not necessarily the players who are out.

Yes, another good article.  I wanna give the ABJ & GT credit when it is due.  

The excitement (for the season) is close to orgasmic. I think we can beat Bryant and maybe one other team. That alone will give us a 100% improvement over last season. Let's see anyone else in the MAC match those gaudy numbers! The excitement our athletic dept is building for this season is off the charts. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Drop that to $5, make it a 50 yard line seat, pay for my transportation both ways, and throw in a $20 food voucher and I am there for any Saturday game..

If that is how you feel, go to Walmart and buy an OSU hat and a Suckeyes shirt.  Then, get in your crap colored car and make the drive down I-71 toward Columbus on Saturdays.  Just stay the hell away from the Info on the corner of Union and Exchange.  I want to enjoy the games with the true Zips fans, even though the numbers of attendees may be few.  Akron may have one more low win season, but the young talent is on the verge of a major breakthrough in the not so distant future.  And when that happens, I want to enjoy the transformation with those who stuck out the bad times.  Fair weathered wussies will jump back on board, but I hope you are firmly implanted at the shoe.  Go Zips!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bigjim said:

If that is how you feel, go to Walmart and buy an OSU hat and a Suckeyes shirt.  Then, get in your crap colored car and make the drive down I-71 toward Columbus on Saturdays.  Just stay the hell away from the Info on the corner of Union and Exchange.  I want to enjoy the games with the true Zips fans, even though the numbers of attendees may be few.  Akron may have one more low win season, but the young talent is on the verge of a major breakthrough in the not so distant future.  And when that happens, I want to enjoy the transformation with those who stuck out the bad times.  Fair weathered wussies will jump back on board, but I hope you are firmly implanted at the shoe.  Go Zips!!!!!

Now you have hurt my feelings.

For the record; neither of my vehicles is crap colored; one is white the other is black, and it would actually be a physical impossibility for me to drive down I-71 toward Columbus.

Go Zips!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

This is year 3. Who gets 4 years to get more than 2 wins?

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

This is year 3. Who gets 4 years to get more than 2 wins?

I agree 100%, from the 100 mile high level review.  However, I can see the situation from 2 sides.  First, Arth came into a program with a near bare cupboard of talent left by Bowden.  In addition, he was hired so late in his first year that he did not sign anyone on the early signing day in December that year.  From this perspective, he is in year 2.  However, when looking at the flip side, I have questions if he is a good coach.  I want to think that a NFL player knows the game of football.  However, I have a friend who's son played for him at JCU.  He did not see the field.  However, after Arth left, my friend's son was first team all conference.  So, can he or can he not judge, evaluate, and coach talent.  I do like the talent of the young players that Arth has recruited.  As long as he is the coach, I will be critical as needed but I will also support the program.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I agree 100%, from the 100 mile high level review.  However, I can see the situation from 2 sides.  First, Arth came into a program with a near bare cupboard of talent left by Bowden.  In addition, he was hired so late in his first year that he did not sign anyone on the early signing day in December that year.  From this perspective, he is in year 2.  However, when looking at the flip side, I have questions if he is a good coach.  I want to think that a NFL player knows the game of football.  However, I have a friend who's son played for him at JCU.  He did not see the field.  However, after Arth left, my friend's son was first team all conference.  So, can he or can he not judge, evaluate, and coach talent.  I do like the talent of the young players that Arth has recruited.  As long as he is the coach, I will be critical as needed but I will also support the program.  

BS.

The cupboard wasn't that bare, except for the Bowden recruits he decided not to sign.

Arth might have done OK, but hasn't shown any signs of being able to handle D1 level.

Everyone sees how bad the Zips. Everyone.

43 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

BS.

The cupboard wasn't that bare, except for the Bowden recruits he decided  not to sign.

Arth might have done OK, but hasn't shown any signs of being able to handle D1 level.

BS -

Stands for best synopsis.  Thanks for agreeing that I did a fantastic job of providing a brief summary of the current situation.

The cupboard wasn't that bare, except for the Bowden recruits he decided  not to sign.

Please take a look at the distribution of the grades of the players across the roster and you will quickly see that there are very few juniors and seniors that will be providing meaningful play (Bubba and a few others will).

Also, go back over the last few years and look at the current status of Bowden recruits.  Many are not in football and few are playing at the D1 level.

So far, he has not done OK with the very bad hand dealt him.  I do not know if he can handle the D1 level, but he could handle the NFL as a player.  

For years, there has been a discussion if the New England Patriots were successful because of Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.  Belichich has been known as one of if not the best NFL head coach ever.  However, last year, Brady leaves, the Patriots go 7-9, and Brady wins the Super Bowl.  Coaching is important, but talent is the key factor in winning sports games.  When you have not played competitive sports above little league, you probably do not understand this concept.

First of all, the comment is not a complete sentence nor does it make sense as written.  However, I believe that my great Akron education allows me to understand what is meant.  

True, but few understand the root causes and true reasons for the losses.  The comment above regarding little league also applies here.  

Go Zips!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

I think you have captured how i feel. I want Arth to succeed. That is good for him, the program, the university and me. I have had little evidence that he or his assistants can coach. Maybe they can, but we are not seeing it. Being critical yet supportive is a reasonable description of my feelings.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have said before and agree Bowden didn’t recruit well enough but we are into year 3 and Bowden recruits are still the best players on both sides of the ball 

9 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I have said before and agree Bowden didn’t recruit well enough but we are into year 3 and Bowden recruits are still the best players on both sides of the ball 

Bubba is obviously a gimme, maybe Kato, but who else? There may be 4-5 Bowden recruits starting this year. Kato, Bubba, Hooks, Peterson,  Andre Williams? 

Williams, Kato, and Hooks are still getting the benefit of the doubt from their production years ago/recruiting hype. Our all conference type of players outside of Bubba - Watts, Gray, and Dollard - aren’t Bowden recruits 

Edited by LZIp

9 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Technically correct, but... a bit misleading.  Bubba on defense & Kato on offense.  But after those two it's all Arth recruits.

[EDIT] ^^ @LZIp just beat me to the punch.

Edited by Blue & Gold

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

delusional....arth is awful...the team is awful...they'll be lucky to draw 2k fans & win one game...enjoy

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Technically correct, but... a bit misleading.  Bubba on defense & Kato on offense.  But after those two it's all Arth recruits.

[EDIT] ^^ @LZIp just beat me to the punch.

I’m just hoping my statement isn’t a true statement.  I guess my point is on offense Kato is probably #1 & Dre #2.  Kato has been suspended for off the field issues & undependable, Dre was ineligible & tried to transfer

Defense Bubba #1 and is a undersized LB, I know a warrior & great kid and love having him but no offers cause of size, no ILB’s that short & lucky he got an opportunity, #2 Hooks was ineligible last year

Point being - we need to start seeing better recruits to turn this thing around & I’m hopeful this year we see some

• Like 1

Both Mitchell and Bentley have been in the portal since May.  Neither of them were great, but I hate to lose 2 large upperclassmen defensive linemen when the rest of the DL group is very young and not real deep.  It is surprising that his note says that he will transfer in the spring; he must have not had any options to transfer over the last 3 months.  The timing may end up costing him a year of eligibility.  I wish them both good luck.