2021 Schedule

Blue & Gold

Is this addition by subtraction? If Mitchell waited this long to make his decision he apparently was not that committed to Akron. Good luck in finding greener pastures.

Thanks for the replies regarding Gest.  However, I was hoping for one of the 'insiders' to have some specific information instead of of pure speculation.  I could guess at several plausible explanations that do not have any basis either.

On another note, with Peterson getting into the transfer portal, the Zips are down to three seniors on the roster, with Kato being the only player with experience, and I am hoping they move on from him.  This season is going to be bad with such limited experience.  

43 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Thanks for the replies regarding Gest.  However, I was hoping for one of the 'insiders' to have some specific information instead of of pure speculation.  I could guess at several plausible explanations that do not have any basis either.

On another note, with Peterson getting into the transfer portal, the Zips are down to three seniors on the roster, with Kato being the only player with experience, and I am hoping they move on from him.  This season is going to be bad with such limited experience.  

You don't really expect accurate and timely factual information about the Zips do you?  That would require a local newspaper or two that cares and a commitment from the athletic department.

3 hours ago, Spin said:

How decimated was the roster that was turned over to Tom Arth? 

According to Our Lads, there are THREE SENIORS on the current depth chart. Add 8 juniors, 17 sophs, and 20 frosh. 

Someone tell me I'm reading that wrong...

1.  It’s not very accurate but 2 remember with Covid you can be in your 3rd year and be a red shirt freshman

speculation but my guess on Gest, he is 24 probably got a masters, may have got hurt, decided it’s not worth battling back again & decided to go make some money & start his career

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Pure speculation but that 2nd pic looks like 1’s on offense and Tony George at center.  6’2” 285 is a small D1 center

In 1981, Dave Rimington was listed at 6'3" and 275. 

He turned out to be a pretty decent center. And this despite the fact that his reported height was exaggerated by about 3". 

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Pure speculation but that 2nd pic looks like 1’s on offense and Tony George at center.  6’2” 285 is a small D1 center

The average size of a starting FBS offensive lineman in the FBS for 2020 is 6’4.3″ tall while weighing in at 305.4 pounds.

As a result of the determination of eligibility from the red shirt and Covid rules, we now have an OL that is made up entirely of Fr or R-Fr.  Even though the R-Fr may be in their 3rd year, we may be reporting that the entire OL is made up of freshman.  I wander if this may be the first time that this situation has happened in FBS for a program that is not in their first year.  No need for a lack of fact speculation, but it does make the future bright, but the present may be challenging.  

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

He better be better than Peterson! We can't afford to be driving off talent. We need to keep on the upward trend this year or Arth may not get a next.

Unfortunately our upward trend is winning one more game than the previous season. At this rate we will be an unstoppable machine in only 10 short years. I hope it happens. 

13 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Unfortunately our upward trend is winning one more game than the previous season. At this rate we will be an unstoppable machine in only 10 short years. I hope it happens. 

I think we may have had a little better outlook this year if everyone wasn't given an extra year. We have virtually zero senior contributors, especially outside of Kato, so we were returning essentially everybody regardless. Now everyone with their much more experienced teams return everyone as well who wasn't good enough to go pro. That will change next year, but we'll still have everyone, with another year of experience, and another recruiting class where the staff can address holes for immediate help as well as provide more depth (and hopefully get up to the 85 scholly limit finall). If we are only winning a few games still next year, time to throw in the towel IMO.

Looking forward to seeing our players develop and hopefully pull off an upset or two this year as well as win the games we should.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, LZIp said:

So I scrubbed the roster the best I could..i think I'm going to wait a while before posting an updated scholarship chart in case there are changes, because honestly its hard to follow with all of the additions after the early signing day, but items to note that we didn't previously know (nothing too exciting):

Absent previously known scholarship players: Shawn Muldowney (OL) and Kevin Walls (WR) 

Absent previously known 2021 signees that are believed to be scholarship players: Andre Proffitt (DL)

Additions who are what I'd assume to be new scholarship players: Zach Morton (DL - previously with Syracuse on scholly), Andrew Behm (LB, who seemed to tear up JUCO as a true freshman in the limited spring 2021 season), Kevin Dever Jr (S - from St Eds, previous walk-on at OSU). 

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Morton-85536/

https://www.eccathletics.com/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20210615g0p1qa

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2021/01/120694/former-ohio-state-walk-ons-kevin-dever-and-darryl-sinclair-in-transfer-portal 

Proffitt just showed up back on the roster.  Always good that we did not lose a 300 lb defensive lineman.