Game 9- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

19 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

10 points 14 boards. And a block. The only double double of the game.

Somewhere there is a coach in NE Ohio wondering how this one got past him...

Nobody could see how good Freeman would be.  I watched him last year and the only thing that stood out was that he had skinny legs.  I fully expected him to be a player that only got into the game during blowouts.  He decided to take basketball seriously and has amazing talent as a rebounder and shot blocker.  One of my favorite Zips this year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Nobody could see how good Freeman would be.  I watched him last year and the only thing that stood out was that he had skinny legs.  I fully expected him to be a player that only got into the game during blowouts.  He decided to take basketball seriously and has amazing talent as a rebounder and shot blocker.  One of my favorite Zips this year.

Just remember that AkronZips'71 called this one last year.

26 minutes ago, MDZip said:

And probably not known to a lot of people He also leads the MAC in field goal percentage. 71%. It's not all about where you start and this kid has a ton of heart. 

He has the most hustle I have ever seen in a Zips uniform.

If he bulks up he could be another Tree (hopefully without the bad behavior).

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Please do not take offense but I do not remember you or anyone indicating that Freeman was going to be this good.  Can you show me the post?

He was freaking out over some Akron/Canton Pro-Am film of Freeman and we were all rolling our eyes saying, “Settle down.”  But I don’t think I could find the post(s).

4 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Last month one of our members actually brought it up. I will see what I can find.

Thanks!  I remember his playing last year and he did not get any meaningful minutes and when he did play he did not stand out.   I do not see how anybody would predict this guy would get any playing time this year no less a starter.  That is what makes his story so amazing.  (and he can shoot foul shots)

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Thanks!  I remember his playing last year and he did not get any meaningful minutes and when he did play he did not stand out.   I do not see how anybody would predict this guy would get any playing time this year no less a starter.  That is what makes his story so amazing.  (and he can shoot foul shots)

I will never find my post from last year but someone remembered it!

clarkwgriswold

Zips Junkie

Members

4,124 posts

Posted December 19, 2020 (edited)

Last year, Akronzips71 hoped Freeman could become a contributor.  I thought he'd be company for Scott Walter.  Looks like I was dead wrong and that AkronZips71's hope is coming true.  20 points and 18 boards so far.

Cam Reece needs to come around.  I sure hope the big man on the way in can play as they need the help down low.

Edited December 19, 2020 by clarkwgriswold

You reacted to this

4 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I will never find my post from last year but someone remembered it!

clarkwgriswold

Zips Junkie

Members

4,124 posts

Posted December 19, 2020 (edited)

Last year, Akronzips71 hoped Freeman could become a contributor.  I thought he'd be company for Scott Walter.  Looks like I was dead wrong and that AkronZips71's hope is coming true.  20 points and 18 boards so far.

Cam Reece needs to come around.  I sure hope the big man on the way in can play as they need the help down low.

Edited December 19, 2020 by clarkwgriswold

You reacted to this

That is good enough for me.  If I am Groce I would hire you as a scout because you have an eye for hidden talent.  It is difficult enough to predict which high school superstar will excel in college but predicting a walk on to contribute is exceptional.

10 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

That is good enough for me.  If I am Groce I would hire you as a scout because you have an eye for hidden talent.  It is difficult enough to predict which high school superstar will excel in college but predicting a walk on to contribute is exceptional.

LOL.

I really don't remember what I posted last year, but at some point I saw something and said so. This kid has amazing potential. Remember, he is pretty much playing center at 6'7". In D1. And doing some job.

You can teach things like blocking out, you can't teach timing and good hands.

he has a ton of upside, to say nothing of the fact that he is leading the MAC in rebounding and #4 in blocked shots.

And I stated a few games ago, the way he shoots free throws, sooner or later they will give him the green light, he does have a shooting touch.

55 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

OK, seriously, how could he not be on someone's radar?

High School: Led St. Martin De Porres High School ... earned First-Team All-Lake Effect Conference as a senior and runner-up conference Player of the Year ...  averaged a double-double as a senior with 12 points and 10 rebounds per game ... dished out 4.6 assists per game (freeman).

AND he is 6'7

Anyone that size who is first team all conference deserves a look, I really don't get it.

5 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I don't know the stats yet, but FREEMAN had something like 10 points 13 rebounds.

How did this kid not get a scholarship offer from anyone?

(14 rebounds) I don't know how they missed him.  He was First Team all-Lake Effect Conference, after all.  ?‍♂️?

To be fair, I believe akronzips71 wondered if Freeman could become a contributor as a big man for the Zips after seeing his size on the bench and his limited minutes. I, on the other hand, thought he would be nice company for Scott Walter at the end of the bench, taking Marquelle McIntyre's spot. I don't think even  Freeman's mom would have seen what he has become.

I remember the video of him form the Akron Canton Pro Am League.  He was dominating 6 foot tall kids from the suburbs.  It looked like a CYO game where one kid's testosterone came in a year early. 

8 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

OK, seriously, how could he not be on someone's radar?

High School: Led St. Martin De Porres High School ... earned First-Team All-Lake Effect Conference as a senior and runner-up conference Player of the Year ...  averaged a double-double as a senior with 12 points and 10 rebounds per game ... dished out 4.6 assists per game (freeman).

AND he is 6'7

Anyone that size who is first team all conference deserves a look, I really don't get it.

It may well have been an exposure thing.  Heck, I've never heard of the Lake Effect Conference or many of its members (Willoughby Andrews Osborne Academy, Elyria First Baptist Christian, Austinburg Grand River, Chagrin Falls Geauga, North Olmsted HEARTS for Jesus Christ, Cleveland Horizon Science, North Ridgeville Lake Ridge Academy, Sagamore Hills Lawrence  and Cleveland St. Martin De Porres).

As a contrast, K-lac as a 7 footer wasn't All-Conference first or second team as I recall and he was recruited. He's now playing 10 minutes and scoring 2 points a game at Walsh.

59 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It may well have been an exposure thing.  Heck, I've never heard of the Lake Effect Conference or many of its members (Willoughby Andrews Osborne Academy, Elyria First Baptist Christian, Austinburg Grand River, Chagrin Falls Geauga, North Olmsted HEARTS for Jesus Christ, Cleveland Horizon Science, North Ridgeville Lake Ridge Academy, Sagamore Hills Lawrence  and Cleveland St. Martin De Porres).

As a contrast, K-lac as a 7 footer wasn't All-Conference first or second team as I recall and he was recruited. He's now playing 10 minutes and scoring 2 points a game at Walsh.

When I read the ABJ article about Freeman I do not think it was about recruiting but it seemed like after high school Freeman wanted to be done with competitive basketball.   I know many gifted high school athletes that have been playing their sport since kindergarten and are tired of the grind and just want to be done.  He had an academic scholarship and it seems like he did not seek to play competitive basketball.  It was only after arriving on campus did he decide that he wanted to "try out" for the team.  K-lac did not receive a scholarship out of high school and went to a Florida sports academy to work on his game.  Groce gave him a scholarship when he was first hired and gave his a chance to play division one.  I never thought K-lac would be a contributor because he was slow and did not have basketball instincts for the game and just never learned from his mistakes.  The guy got called for a moving screen a dozen times and constantly was in foul trouble.  Todays game is about quickness and athleticism and you can see it in Groce's recruits and in Freeman.  Look at the matchup between Swingle and Freeman last night.  Freeman dominated even though he gave up 4 inches and 100 pounds.

• Like 1

5'8", 165 lbs (soaking wet) PG. 6'7", stick figure C/PF. 

Effort. Fundamentals. 

Groce has gotten some amazing production out of improbable attributes/measurables. 

Props to BG for having the Stroh properly lit. It's amazing how well a team can play on the road when they aren't playing in a dimly-lit cavernous arena.