Game 9- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Bowling Green for a night game this Tuesday.  At last, we won't have to sneak a peek at work to watch a weekday game.

BG, like Toledo is way ahead in games played, having played 13 games thus far, standing at 10-3 overall and 6-1 in the MAC.  Their only MAC loss was a 24 point shellacking at Ball State.  Their losses came to Wright State, Michigan and Ball State.  They are coming off of a 5 point win at Niagara Falls.   After exploring the free agent market in the off-season, All-MAC guard Justin Turner returns to lead BUGS at 21 ppg and 5.3 apg. 6'6" G/F Daeqwon Plowden is also back, averaging 11.3 ppg and 8.8 rpg.     

Many think BUGS is the class of the league.  They were chosen as the top team in the MAC pre-season poll while Turner was named first team All-MAC while Plowden was named to the second team.

2 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I'm probably in the extreme minority in thinking that Marreon Jackson from Toledo is better than Turner from BG! I was never overly impressed with Turner, the only MAC games I watch feature Akron so maybe it's the matchup and he shines against everyone else!!

I don't think that preferring Jackson over Turner puts you that much in the minority.  I have a tough time comparing them or choosing one over the other as they are such different players.   Jackson is a ball dominating point guard while Turner is a more traditional shooting guard.  If you told me I could have one for the Zips, I might take Turner as we already have a ball dominating scoring point guard, but they're both great talents.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

M Jackson is the better offensive player, but Turner is the better two-way player IMO.

I don't know, Jackson forces a lot of bad shots. I think he's got that "I'm gonna to get mine" attitude that doesn't always represent what is best for his team. I don't see that out of Turner. He seems to always stay within the flow of the offense. The guy is just smooth out there all the time.

Turner is a real player but the kid I like on that team is Plowden.  He's 6'6", plays strong defense, rebounds like a much bigger guy, has a high motor and shoots at a high percentage both in and outside of the three point line.  He had 18 points and 10 boards in the JAR last year. He had 10 points and 13 boards at BUGS.  Turner is obviously the focus of that offense but Plowden is the lynchpin for that team, getting on the boards, locking down on defense and making important shots.

• Like 1

And if this season has not been confusing enough, I just read the following in the Gozips.com preview of Tuesday's game:

WHAT'S AHEAD
The University of Akron men's basketball team returns to James A. Rhodes Arena for a Mid-American Conference bout against the top-ranked Toledo Rockets on Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. on ESPN+. Akron is looking to increase it's home winning streak to 10 games, while snapping a streak of two consecutive losses and ending the Rockets' eight-game winning streak that dates back to Dec. 12, 2020.

I know it is just a typo, but do you think that somebody could correct it before the game tomorrow or am I the only one who reads the preview?

34 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

And if this season has not been confusing enough, I just read the following in the Gozips.com preview of Tuesday's game:

WHAT'S AHEAD
The University of Akron men's basketball team returns to James A. Rhodes Arena for a Mid-American Conference bout against the top-ranked Toledo Rockets on Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. on ESPN+. Akron is looking to increase it's home winning streak to 10 games, while snapping a streak of two consecutive losses and ending the Rockets' eight-game winning streak that dates back to Dec. 12, 2020.

I know it is just a typo, but do you think that somebody could correct it before the game tomorrow or am I the only one who reads the preview?

Smh.

Turner is going to get his.  They need to make sure the secondary players are shut down.  This is the type of game when the Zips could use a gritty Channel Banks type to go at Turner.  It would be a good night to see Dailey use the defense skills we.re heard about.  His length could give Turner some trouble but I suspect he'll be matched up on one of their forwards.