Game 9- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

5'8", 165 lbs (soaking wet) PG. 6'7", stick figure C/PF. 

Effort. Fundamentals. 

Groce has gotten some amazing production out of improbable attributes/measurables. 

Props to BG for having the Stroh properly lit. It's amazing how well a team can play on the road when they aren't playing in a dimly-lit cavernous arena. 

Amen man.  Drives me nuts how many of the MAC arenas make it seem like they're playing in a cave.

I recall a story from 1969, and this could just be rumor or simply wrong, but as it was told back then:
Wyatt Webb took over as coach from Tony Laterza, who had left him with NOTHING. After Bill Turner (NBA) and Don Williams graduated, the well was dry, my freshman year we were just awful. For those old enough to remember, we were beat in the Mid East Regionals by  Earl the pearl Monroe! (In 1966 with Turner and Williams).

So supposedly Webb finds this kid who was out of High School for a year, was married with a kid, and was earning a living playing pool! Of course this kid was the GREAT Len Paul, IMHO the greatest player ever to wear the Blue and Gold (2000 points and 1000 boards in an era where there was no three point shot, no dunking, no shot clock). AND no conference, just an independent trying to get games.

So I know this is probably just a fairy tale, but I have to wonder if history is repeating itself. Freeman essentially did not play last year, and suddenly is #2 on the team, right behind LCJ. Not only for the rebounding stats, but the fact is he plays smothering defense and has been way more than a contributor. We simply would not be winning this year without him, the way he is affecting shots underneath against guys way bigger than him is a story unto itself.

Edited by akronzips71

• 2 weeks later...