Game 10- CMU

clarkwgriswold

The Zips face 6-8 CMU at the JAR at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday.

CMU is led by 6'5" senior guard Travon Broadway Jr. at 16.8 ppg.  They are 2-5 in the MAC with two wins over Eastern Michigan and losses to BG (twice), Western, PCCC and Toledo.

I'll try to get some more info on the Chippewas if and when I get a chance. 

37 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips face 6-8 CMU at the JAR at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday.

CMU is led by 6'5" senior guard Travon Broadway Jr. at 16.8 ppg.  They are 2-5 in the MAC with two wins over Eastern Michigan and losses to BG (twice), Western, PCCC and Toledo.

I'll try to get some more info on the Chippewas if and when I get a chance. 

Geno Ford still the coach?  He's like the Steve Hawkins of middle earth.

What do you think about starting Reese over Dailey?  They played about the same minutes on Tuesday and Reese clearly outplayed Dailey.  Reese has the best post moves on the team and gives us some inside scoring.  He also is a stronger rebounder.  My only hesitation would be that it would send Freeman to the wing instead of the center position.  Not sure if those two have been on the floor together.  I think Reese usually comes in for Freeman.  Hopefully, Dailey can play better than he did on Tuesday where he had no points and 2 turnovers.  His man also beat him on the boards.

21 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

What do you think about starting Reese over Dailey?  They played about the same minutes on Tuesday and Reese clearly outplayed Dailey.  Reese has the best post moves on the team and gives us some inside scoring.  He also is a stronger rebounder.  My only hesitation would be that it would send Freeman to the wing instead of the center position.  Not sure if those two have been on the floor together.  I think Reese usually comes in for Freeman.  Hopefully, Dailey can play better than he did on Tuesday where he had no points and 2 turnovers.  His man also beat him on the boards.

You're replacing a wing with a post guy in that scenario which messes up spacing, etc.  I had hoped Dailey was coming around there with a couple of better games and then he disappeared.  If I were to take him out of the lineup, I'd probably look to move Tribble, Clarke or Wynn into the lineup. 

34 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

You're replacing a wing with a post guy in that scenario which messes up spacing, etc.  I had hoped Dailey was coming around there with a couple of better games and then he disappeared.  If I were to take him out of the lineup, I'd probably look to move Tribble, Clarke or Wynn into the lineup. 

+1 on putting Clarke in that slot. He's gonna be really good, and that could help him learn even more from LCJ going into the future. 

• Like 1

The problem with replacing Dailey with Clarke, Trimble or Wynn is that it would make us even that much more undersized on the defensive end of the floor. I'm not all about size, but giving up 4-5 inches to opposing teams SF would seem like a lot. That's not to say I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup for stretches of games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The problem with replacing Dailey with Clarke, Trimble or Wynn is that it would make us even that much more undersized on the defensive end of the floor. I'm not all about size, but giving up 4-5 inches to opposing teams SF would seem like a lot. That's not to say I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup for stretches of games.

Good point.  Wynn is 6'6" however (not that he's ready).

My preference would be to stick with Dailey for now.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

55 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The Zips have their highest ceiling when Dailey is on the floor. He’s just got to start playing to his potential. 

If he were playing near his potential I would not even ask the question.  He was getting beat on defense, on the boards and did not contribute on offense.  I do not believe he was on the floor the last 8 minutes when the team looked the best.   Another game like that and I would not start him. 

38 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

If he were playing near his potential I would not even ask the question.  He was getting beat on defense, on the boards and did not contribute on offense.  I do not believe he was on the floor the last 8 minutes when the team looked the best.   Another game like that and I would not start him. 

He made the game winner against Toledo and also the big defensive stop.  

• Like 1

So far this season Dailey's been a colossal disappointment for me.  Remembering his game from high school I was thrilled when he transferred here.  6-7, quick, can handle the ball, drive with either hand, and a smooth stroke from 3.  Crazy talented.

I know he didn't do well at Iowa, but in Groce I trust and I thought Groce's loooooooong leashes and green lights and uptempo style would get Dailey going and he'd blossom.  But not thus far.  And this with Groce really grooming him & massaging his ego/confidence.  Maishe's still just playing like he's got butterflies the size of Mothra.  

• Like 1

I think we all clearly saw flashes of what Dailey can provide in the Toledo game. He just has to put it together on a consistent basis. Trimble emerging has taken a lot of my focus off of Dailey. Hopefully he will come around, but I don't see a pressing need for it as of yet. We just beat the top two teams in the conference in the same week. 

After the shot against Toledo, Dailey did enough to cement his role in the starting lineup (IMO). His struggles are all mental, and he'll get through them with game experience and comfortability, its been years since he's played a meaningful role in an entire contest. Fortunately, the Zips are starting to play more and more basketball, which will help get Dailey back on track.