Who should we hire to replace Arth?

Hilltopper

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Before hiring him I would fire Williams and find an AD who stood behind his coaches and was willing to fight for each program. Williams has screwed nearly every program at Akron at one time or another to stay in vogue with the administration. 

Yes. I told my friends this via text last night. Van Horne should go with him. He has been the constant through all of this and past miserable hires. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Yes. I told my friends this via text last night. Van Horne should go with him. He has been the constant through all of this and past miserable hires. 

1. Williams forked over the money to make Embick one of the highest paid coaches in the nation. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

2. Williams hired Groce, and hired him on a very friendly contract his first few years, taking advantage of the Illiniois buyout. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

3. Williams fired Bowden - who most wanted fired. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

Supposedly there were complaints KD and Bowden had about administration, but everything I've heard on that end is incredibly vague. I'd like to hear some more details before making an opinion on that. Biggest thing against him that I know of is that he may have botched the Arth hire. If Arth leaves early, I'd call it a failure, but it also gives him an opportunity to redeem himself. If he doesn't leave, I'm willing to see the process out 1-2 more seasons.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Lol. I love irony.

I thought about Holiday, too. What a joke to fire him. I am not sure he would even nibble at the Akron job, though.

Curt Cignetti would have been a good catch but leaving JMU for Akron isn't much of a career move.

Another possibility with a P5 Resume could be Bo Pelini.

I don't see why Holliday wouldn't strongly consider head coaching in the MAC. He could move the ball forward for us, so long as he is down with prioritizing program culture.

The top FCS head coaches would be good targets but I agree they may be looking for a bigger jump.

Hard pass on Pelini.

Who is the coach at Chattanooga? ;)

There are probably names on Williams' short list we would never think of. This may be an exercise in futility ?

Edited by ZippyRulz

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

1. Williams forked over the money to make Embick one of the highest paid coaches in the nation. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

2. Williams hired Groce, and hired him on a very friendly contract his first few years, taking advantage of the Illiniois buyout. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

3. Williams fired Bowden - who most wanted fired. Do we agree/disagree with that move?

Supposedly there were complaints KD and Bowden had about administration, but everything I've heard on that end is incredibly vague. I'd like to hear some more details before making an opinion on that. Biggest thing against him that I know of is that he may have botched the Arth hire. If Arth leaves early, I'd call it a failure, but it also gives him an opportunity to redeem himself. If he doesn't leave, I'm willing to see the process out 1-2 more seasons.

If I were to pose a "disagree" point of view -

1.) The Embick hire was a no-brainer. It's who Porter wanted as his successor. He was already within the program. Compare that to the identification and hire of Porter after Lolla left. THAT was a great hire. No one thought we'd upgrade after Lolla.

2.) Groce was just fortunate timing. Like when Gary Waters fell into CSU's lap after Rutgers. He was just fired by Illinois and looking for work...he was highly familiar with the MAC, successful in the MAC, and Akron was appealing with it's string of 20-win seasons and championship appearances. Another no-brainer.

3.) I dunno if most wanted Bowden fired. At best it was probably 50/50, with 50% giving him one more year. And 50% of fans always want the back up QB to start, and the coach fired. It took some balls to fire Bowden, pay him off, and pay off UTC to get Arth. If it turns out all the expense netted us one win in 2 seasons, and 70 kids in the transfer portal, it was a colossal botched hire. I really wonder if we'd need to drop to a lower division because all players transfer out. We'd need to file for some sort of appeal with the NCAA to field a D-1 team.  In a program with no great hires in it's 34 year D-1 history, if Arth leaves now his hire would be hands-down the worst.

I don't think there would be an opportunity for redemption for a guy responsible for killing the football program.

We'll see what happens if Arth leaves. He's not returning GT's texts...but it could be that he just doesn't want to discuss the next Pixar movie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We'll see what happens if Arth leaves. He's not returning GT's texts...but it could be that he just doesn't want to discuss the next Pixar movie.

I think someone just got blocked from GT's Twitter account if you have one. Ah dammit I think I just did too.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

your last statement made me laugh out loud.  Good ole GT sure loves his movies.

• Like 1

To answer an earlier question, I would prefer a young up and comer.

If Arth leaves, my prediction is that the administration ties the hands of the AD by severely limiting the budget available for the hire.  As such, they'll promote some unknown from within or get somebody willing to be underpaid for a chance (or second chance).  I said it on another thread, I could see this going like WMU's basketball hire last year when they canned Hawkins and hired an unknown on staff assistant at a bargain basement rate.  At that point, you just hope they found the needle in the haystack.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

At that point, you just hope they found the needle in the haystack.

The term I would use is "educated guess" in that you do the best with what you know with a lot of unknown around your final decision. Far more than the candidates for P5 schools. It's tough for G5 schools these day. No money to compete even against coordinators or high level assistants pay at P5 schools. Bowden at LMU is an educated guess. There is a lot to know about him and you are making an educated guess that there is still some gas left in the tank and the Bowden name still means something. 

Charlie Frye would be a good educated guess that he could be the coach. We know he has played at a high level so he as been exposed to at least two different NFL teams. We know he coached at an SEC school so he was exposed to life at a place where they have the resources to field a competitive team. We know he coached with a guy  who really knows offenses and was a coordinator for the guy. He's a safe, likeable guy from Ohio who would never do anything to embarrass himself or the school. What we don't know, and is the guess, is whether or not he is capable of taking what he has learned and turning that into a successful leader of a program. College football is results driven and there isn't evidence he can lead a program, but there isn't much evidence many of the G5 coaches getting hired now are capable of leading a program to success either.

Other than Frye graduating from Akron, there is little difference in resumes between him and Arth. Is the connection to the school enough?

• Like 1

Charlie has been a college coach for 2 years, plus a pandemic season and he's a "coordinator" in name only as Jim McElwain calls the offense for the Chips.

• Ashland (2018) > Wide receivers coach
  • Central Michigan (2019–present) > Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

I am no Arth fan, but at least Arth had been a college coach for a decade (5x Frye's experience), including six years as a head coach before he was hired at Akron.

• John Carroll (2010–2012) > Co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach/assistant recruiting coordinator
  • John Carroll (2013–2016) > Head coach
  • Chattanooga (2017–2018) > Head coach
  • Akron (2019–present) > Head coach

Akron has made some iffy hires over the years for head coaches, but choosing a guy just because he wore the Blue & Gold is a really questionable move.

The real questionable move would be allowing Larry Williams & George Van Horne anywhere near this long term hire.  Football has enough problems on campus right now before allowing these two chaps to make a 5-7 year decision when they will likely not be around to support the hire.  

Edited by DannyHoke

The smartest move that could be made is hiring LEE OWENS to be the head football coach.

Lee was getting things done at Akron before he was dumped by Mike Thomas for his cousin JD Brookhart after Lee led us to a 7-5 season.  Lee never had facilities but had great relationships with the high school coaches in Ohio.  

He's 64, and could lure back Charlie Frye to be the Offensive Coordinator and groom him for 3-4 years.  Owens has won 251 games in 36 years as a college and high school head football coach (251-147-2, .630).  Since taking over the Ashland job Lee has won 122 games in 16 years (122-54, .693).

If you need a refresher course about the total excellence that was Zip football under Lee Owens keep reading.

The Owens Era at Akron was one of the most thrilling tenures in school history. Under Owens, the Zips became a team that could reach the end zone from anywhere on the field. Owens led Akron to a 34-20 win over Marshall in 2002, Akron’s first victory ever over a Top-25 team. He was on the sidelines for one of the biggest wins in school history, a 35-29 conquest of Navy in 1999. Akron trailed in that game, 23-0. That’s the largest come-from-behind win in school history and the greatest lead lost in 100-plus years of Navy football.

Owens guided Akron to its first consecutive winning seasons since the school became a Division I-A member (1999-2000). In 2000, Akron won a share of the Mid-American Conference Eastern Division title. He also coached the school’s first consensus All-America, Dwight Smith, who played on the Super Bowl-champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His last several seasons at Akron saw the Zips offense flourish to the point where in 2003, the Zips were sixth in the country in pass offense (311.3 ypg.), ninth in total offense (470.25 ypg.) and 11th in scoring (36.25 ppg.). In 2002, Akron was 28th in the nation in yards per game. Quarterback Charlie Frye rewrote the school record book for completions, attempts, passing yards, total offense and completion percentage. Frye was regarded as one of the top signal callers in the country and was picked by the Cleveland Browns in the 2005 NFL draft.

Owens’ success at Akron extended to more than just records on the field. In 2000 and 2001, the Zips led the MAC Academic Team and in 2001, the AFCA presented Akron with an academic achievement award for a graduation rate over 70 percent. In 1995 when Owens arrived on campus, the football program’s graduation rate was 17 percent. Upon Owens’ departure, Akron averaged 58 percent on the NCAA graduation report. Six members of the 2003 senior class had a grade-point average that exceeded 3.0.

HIRE LEE OWENS

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

To answer an earlier question, I would prefer a young up and comer.

If Arth leaves, my prediction is that the administration ties the hands of the AD by severely limiting the budget available for the hire.  As such, they'll promote some unknown from within or get somebody willing to be underpaid for a chance (or second chance).  I said it on another thread, I could see this going like WMU's basketball hire last year when they canned Hawkins and hired an unknown on staff assistant at a bargain basement rate.  At that point, you just hope they found the needle in the haystack.

If that is the case (Can totally see that happen btw) I getting Matt Kauling on the phone and getting his input. Perhaps he can have some influence on the pick and would be willing to pay a portion of the new coaches salary. Happens all the time in college sports and quite frankly I'd be happy with him in the room versus the Van Horn's of the world. 

18 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I like Hardline but we can't afford him. My first choice, though, is Vince Kehres, former Mount HC and currently on the staff of UC under Fickel. He knows the area, understands the opportunity to build a legacy here, like his dad did at Mount and he knows how to win with class. Before hiring him I would fire Williams and find an AD who stood behind his coaches and was willing to fight for each program. Williams has screwed nearly every program at Akron at one time or another to stay in vogue with the administration. 

Kehres is currently the Defensive Coordinator for Toledo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

If that is the case (Can totally see that happen btw) I getting Matt Kauling on the phone and getting his input. Perhaps he can have some influence on the pick and would be willing to pay a portion of the new coaches salary. Happens all the time in college sports and quite frankly I'd be happy with him in the room versus the Van Horn's of the world. 

My immediate thought was Jimmy Haslam and Tennessee.  Yikes!  LOL.  I don't have a problem with the idea, that's just the situation that came to mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DannyHoke said:

The smartest move that could be made is hiring LEE OWENS to be the head football coach.

Lee was getting things done at Akron before he was dumped by Mike Thomas for his cousin JD Brookhart after Lee led us to a 7-5 season.  Lee never had facilities but had great relationships with the high school coaches in Ohio.  

He's 64, and could lure back Charlie Frye to be the Offensive Coordinator and groom him for 3-4 years.  Owens has won 251 games in 36 years as a college and high school head football coach (251-147-2, .630).  Since taking over the Ashland job Lee has won 122 games in 16 years (122-54, .693).

If you need a refresher course about the total excellence that was Zip football under Lee Owens keep reading.

The Owens Era at Akron was one of the most thrilling tenures in school history. Under Owens, the Zips became a team that could reach the end zone from anywhere on the field. Owens led Akron to a 34-20 win over Marshall in 2002, Akron’s first victory ever over a Top-25 team. He was on the sidelines for one of the biggest wins in school history, a 35-29 conquest of Navy in 1999. Akron trailed in that game, 23-0. That’s the largest come-from-behind win in school history and the greatest lead lost in 100-plus years of Navy football.

Owens guided Akron to its first consecutive winning seasons since the school became a Division I-A member (1999-2000). In 2000, Akron won a share of the Mid-American Conference Eastern Division title. He also coached the school’s first consensus All-America, Dwight Smith, who played on the Super Bowl-champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His last several seasons at Akron saw the Zips offense flourish to the point where in 2003, the Zips were sixth in the country in pass offense (311.3 ypg.), ninth in total offense (470.25 ypg.) and 11th in scoring (36.25 ppg.). In 2002, Akron was 28th in the nation in yards per game. Quarterback Charlie Frye rewrote the school record book for completions, attempts, passing yards, total offense and completion percentage. Frye was regarded as one of the top signal callers in the country and was picked by the Cleveland Browns in the 2005 NFL draft.

Owens’ success at Akron extended to more than just records on the field. In 2000 and 2001, the Zips led the MAC Academic Team and in 2001, the AFCA presented Akron with an academic achievement award for a graduation rate over 70 percent. In 1995 when Owens arrived on campus, the football program’s graduation rate was 17 percent. Upon Owens’ departure, Akron averaged 58 percent on the NCAA graduation report. Six members of the 2003 senior class had a grade-point average that exceeded 3.0.

HIRE LEE OWENS

Hell no !!! Don't need politic ball.