Who should we hire to replace Arth?

Hilltopper

39 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’m telling you he had the YSU job & demanded to much money, heard from someone close to the situation 

I am not saying you're wrong. But if he's holding out to make P5 money he's gonna be waiting a while. Personally, I'm not even sure he's qualified for YSU let alone the UA job.

Just thinking out loud and not much research, but what about either of these two? They are coaches from a couple of the top programs at the FCS level. Jay Hill HC of Weber State or Bobby Hauck, HC of Montana. Jay is a fairly young guy, mid 40's.

When was the last time a coach made the jump from HS to FBS and had any success? Is there even an example of a HS coach getting an FBS job in the last 20 years? Frankly I feel recruiting experience at the collegiate level is too important to consider any HS coach. I don't really have any names to drop as anyone that has a decent track record is probably well outside our budget. We will probably end up with a G5 assistant or a FCS/D2 head coach given the budget we will have to spend. 

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

When was the last time a coach made the jump from HS to FBS and had any success? Is there even an example of a HS coach getting an FBS job in the last 20 years? Frankly I feel recruiting experience at the collegiate level is too important to consider any HS coach. I don't really have any names to drop as anyone that has a decent track record is probably well outside our budget. We will probably end up with a G5 assistant or a FCS/D2 head coach given the budget we will have to spend. 

Agreed.  I brought up Tyrrell as he's brought up in nearly every other conversation on here.  I'm not sure he's ready for the jump.

As far as successes, successes and failures are pretty few and far between as the sample size is very small.  Lots of guys who went from high school to be an assistant then to HC on a college level (Freeze, Malzahn).  The only one I can think of who made the big jump successfully was that dirtbag Art Briles.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

I think Tyrrell is ready to be a MAC OC. His play calling is exceptional. You never know what he is going to do (In other words the complete opposite of Milwee, had to get that dig in, he has left so many scars on my brain). I've seen a dozen games of coach Tyrrell and he has yet to be second best in anything.  

• Like 1

So by my count, 2 former Zips QBs are QB coaches in the NFL. Pretty cool. I would think if Arth were to get hired he would be the same, maybe OC I guess. I don't think the position was ever revealed. Speaking of the position, I thought Thamel said a decision would be made by the end of the week. So if its going to happen I'd think we'd hear by today and assume no news means he's staying? Football Scoop doesn't show any Chargers coaches being hired yet.

Edited by LZIp

My expectation when he was hired was 1-3 wins season one, 3-5 season two, compete in the MAC season three.  I guess I need to adjust those expectations.

From one win, there are a lot of things that could be considered progress.  However, this is the year that "reasons" start sounding like excuses.  Changing the culture, building character and better grades won't carry the day if the if the on the field product is again bad.

• Like 1

When you are in a total rebuild there are many factors that limit a linear progression in games won. You have to rebuild the base first such as recruits, culture, expectations. That being said coach has had the time to do all that. He has to put some W's up. I expect 3-4 wins next season despite a killer schedule. 

• Like 1