Who should we hire to replace Arth?

Hilltopper

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My expectation when he was hired was 1-3 wins season one, 3-5 season two, compete in the MAC season three.  I guess I need to adjust those expectations.

From one win, there are a lot of things that could be considered progress.  However, this is the year that "reasons" start sounding like excuses.  Changing the culture, building character and better grades won't carry the day if the if the on the field product is again bad.

3-5 would have been doable if we played YSU, UMASS, and NMSU like we were supposed to. I expect some progress next year, but just don't see us competing for the MAC (not that I'm saying anyone does). Not to mention we have a tough schedule. I think year 4 is the year we need to at minimum make a bowl game/be bowl eligible. If he can't get it then with a very experienced team and 2 more years to fill holes on the roster, I'd say its unlikely he ever will outside of a random season here and there, and if that was good enough, we would have kept Bowden.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Bowden was 5-7, including a win over Pitt in year 3. The Arth "rebuild" is nothing like what Bowden faced. I don't think 5 wins is a lot to ask in year 3. I honestly dont see how the team gets to 5 wins in 2021.

Yeah it'll be tough. More likely 3-4. However, falling one or two wins short of whatever baseline you think there should be (while still trending upward) isn't worth blowing it up if its believed there is potential for the program to keep improving. And if you are able to show improvement year over year, I'm not sure why anyone would think we can't keep improving until proven otherwise. The goal in my mind is sustainable competitiveness. If he can't compete in year 4 when he has a team filled with all his players, they're experienced,  and with 2 more years to fix issues, then its time to shake things up.

We should all be looking at the patience shown to Chuck Martin and Mike Neu. It took them a while, but they got the ball rolling and their programs look like they'll be competitive for the foreseeable future. It can pay off.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GP1 said:

Seems like we are always in a total rebuild. 

I always get so confused by this.  Granted, situations are different with every program, but why is the expectation to "improve" after X amount of years when, in college football, you turnover 100% of the roster every 4-5 years?  Dang right we should be good by year 4 if the coach is worth his salt, that's 100% his roster. 

We're headed to year 3 with a grand total of 1 win.  And please, if you watched any of this season, don't tell me we would've likely won more games.  The product was awful.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

We're headed to year 3 with a grand total of 1 win.  And please, if you watched any of this season, don't tell me we would've likely won more games.  The product was awful.

Idk, but I still wish we could have played New Mexico State, YSU, and UMass.  

The upcoming season's schedule is absolutely brutal.

58 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Idk, but I still wish we could have played New Mexico State, YSU, and UMass.  

The upcoming season's schedule is absolutely brutal.

Agree with that, absolutely.  Toughest non conference schedule that I can ever remember since I've been following Zips football (2001 or so).

Just in general, it drives me nuts when it's acceptable to take 4 years to get a team to be competitive.  And I'm not even talking contention for the MAC East championship (which shouldn't be a high hurdle), I'm talking about being competitive in games for all 4 quarters.  We were blown off the field in every game in year 2, with the exception of an absolutely terrible BG team.  I suppose a pass can be given for the pandemic season, but for me:  Anything less than .500 on the MAC schedule next season is unacceptable.  Not that it matters, we can't afford to fire the coaching staff ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Agree with that, absolutely.  Toughest non conference schedule that I can ever remember since I've been following Zips football (2001 or so).

Just in general, it drives me nuts when it's acceptable to take 4 years to get a team to be competitive.  And I'm not even talking contention for the MAC East championship (which shouldn't be a high hurdle), I'm talking about being competitive in games for all 4 quarters.  We were blown off the field in every game in year 2, with the exception of an absolutely terrible BG team.  I suppose a pass can be given for the pandemic season, but for me:  Anything less than .500 on the MAC schedule next season is unacceptable.  Not that it matters, we can't afford to fire the coaching staff ?

I am not sure the pandemic is a legitimate excuse. It is something everyone is dealing with, equally.

As far as getting to .500 in MAC play, I don't know how we get there. Like you said, we weren't even close most of the time. 

But you are also right, it's not like we can afford to fire Arth and I am seriously wondering if any coach can be successful with the current administration at UA.

9 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I always get so confused by this.  Granted, situations are different with every program, but why is the expectation to "improve" after X amount of years when, in college football, you turnover 100% of the roster every 4-5 years?  Dang right we should be good by year 4 if the coach is worth his salt, that's 100% his roster. 

I had a lifetime of the "building process" years ago. You are right. If a coach isn't winning after 3 years, he never will. 

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Of all the options I have read in this thread, I like 2021 Arth replacing 2020 Arth the best. 

I hear this Arth is far better than the previous Arth. He's learned so much more and has more experience!