Game 11- WMU

clarkwgriswold

LCJ will have his jersey in the rafters one day.  He's the best Zip I've ever seen.  As someone mentioned earlier, this will almost certainly be his final year now that he has a baby.  He's gotta start making an income.

The one who blows my mind is Freeman.  Without him we likely wouldn't have won a single game yet this year.  Simply amazing.  The announcers mentioned Freeman leads the MAC in rebounding.  Wonder if that's only MAC game totals, or season totals.  If it is season totals, we should play Malone every year. Lol.  Another simple but important point about Freeman: he rarely makes mistakes. He is always in correct defensive and rebounding positions and always looking for the pass on offense.  Again, just amazing.

I think we should start Dawson and bring Dailey off the bench.  I know this may be a blow to Dailey's seemingly very fragile psyche.  But there's less pressure & lower expectations coming off the bench; just come in and let it all hang out and give us high energy minutes.  Be our Sixth Man.  And maybe be on the floor at the end of the game, when it really matters.

By the time he's a junior, GaRvin Clarke will have All-MAC potential.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

LCJ will have his jersey in the rafters one day.  He's the best Zip I've ever seen.  As someone mentioned earlier, this will almost certainly be his final year now that he has a baby.  He's gotta start making an income.

The one who blows my mind is Freeman.  Without him we likely wouldn't have won a single game yet this year.  Simply amazing.  The announcers mentioned Freeman leads the MAC in rebounding.  Wonder if that's only MAC game totals, or season totals.  If it is season totals, we should play Malone every year. Lol.  Another simple but important point about Freeman: he rarely makes mistakes. He is always in correct defensive and rebounding positions and always looking for the pass on offense.  Again, just amazing.

I think we should start Dawson and bring Dailey off the bench.  I know this may be a blow to Dailey's seemingly very fragile psyche.  But there's less pressure & lower expectations coming off the bench; just come in and let it all hang out and give us high energy minutes.  Be our Sixth Man.  And maybe be on the floor at the end of the game, when it really matters.

By the time he's a junior, GaRvin Clarke will have All-MAC potential.

Everyone rips on Maishe.  How do you know he has a fragile psyche?  He's a solid guy.  Groce doesn't recruit whiners.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Everyone rips on Maishe.  How do you know he has a fragile psyche?  He's a solid guy.  Groce doesn't recruit whiners.

I wouldn't say he has a fragile psyche and he's by no means a whiner, but when you've been a college basketball player for 5 years, I think people on here expect a little more out of him. He's been wildly inconsistent and gets visibly frustrated with himself at times. We can all see he's very physically gifted and has a pretty stroke, I think most Zips fans just want to see him loosen up and play with some more fire. 

• Like 1

Groce has commented about how it takes some time to get back up to speed after a year off.  I hope that's the case for Maishe.  It took Trimble a little time to come up to speed.  I sure wish Dailey would get there as I think at full speed he could be a real difference maker on this team.

My nature is to see things in the game that I think need improvement, but at the end of the day Groce has made a long line of very good decisions for the Zips.  Decisions that took the program from ashes to MAC champs in a mere three years.  He's forgotten more basketball than I will ever know and he sees these kids on and off the floor every day.   As such, I have to trust his personnel decisions as much as I may sometimes see things differently.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Groce has commented about how it takes some time to get back up to speed after a year off.  I hope that's the case for Maishe.  It took Trimble a little time to come up to speed.  I sure wish Dailey would get there as I think at full speed he could be a real difference maker on this team.

My nature is to see things in the game that I think need improvement, but at the end of the day Groce has made a long line of very good decisions for the Zips.  Decisions that took the program from ashes to MAC champs in a mere three years.  He's forgotten more basketball than I will ever know and he sees these kids on and off the floor every day.   As such, I have to trust his personnel decisions as much as I may sometimes see things differently.  

Yes, Groce isn't playing Maishe in order to keep Maishe's ego happy.     These four games were good practice for March in Cleveland.  I'm sure the staff is thinking ahead to that and the back up rotations needed to keep the legs fresh.

I have been critical of Dailey not because I do not like him as a player.  I see the Zips struggling against bad teams on the road and one of the reasons they struggled today is that you have too many one dimensional  players who only shoot the 3 ball and when they struggle shooting this team struggles.  Ali, Dailey and Trimble shot a combined 3 for 17 from 3 point land and 17 of their 19 shots were 3 pointers.   In the starting rotation you need someone who can  penetrate to the basket or at least try to penetrate.   I hope Dailey finds his shot but right now he is shooting well under 30% from the 3 point line and at least one of his 3 pointers today did not even draw rim.

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I have been critical of Dailey not because I do not like him as a player.  I see the Zips struggling against bad teams on the road and one of the reasons they struggled today is that you have too many one dimensional  players who only shoot the 3 ball and when they struggle shooting this team struggles.  Ali, Dailey and Trimble shot a combined 3 for 17 from 3 point land and 17 of their 19 shots were 3 pointers.   In the starting rotation you need someone who can  penetrate to the basket or at least try to penetrate.   I hope Dailey finds his shot but right now he is shooting well under 30% from the 3 point line and at least one of his 3 pointers today did not even draw rim.

I agree with all of that.  my issue was with B&G saying Dailey has a fragile ego.  Was weird, Dailey made the big 3 pointer against Toledo much like X made a couple game winners last season.

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Fair enough.  That's fair criticism.  My hope is that Maishe has more dimensions but just hasn't had the confidence to show them to this point. He must be showing them in practice or I trust Groce wouldn't have him in there.  I guess that's the benefit of having more Cedarvilles, Malones, directionals and regionals on the schedule before heading into MAC play.  It gives you the opportunity to work those things out.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Fair enough.  That's fair criticism.  My hope is that Maishe has more dimensions but just hasn't had the confidence to show them to this point. He must be showing them in practice or I trust Groce wouldn't have him in there.  I guess that's the benefit of having more Cedarvilles, Malones, directionals and regionals on the schedule before heading into MAC play.  It gives you the opportunity to work those things out.

Thanks!  I do try to be fair.  The last 2 games show how important LCJ is to this team.  In the Bowling Green game, Dailey, Trimble and Ali were making their shots and he scored 13 points and had 10 assists.  Yesterday, those three could not find their shot and in the second half LCJ dominated the game and scored 32 points.  He did it by driving to the basket and drawing fouls.  He was 13 if 14 from the foul line.  You are not going to get to the foul line standing on the wing shooting the 3 ball.  Of the starters, Trimble (6) and Dailey (12) have take the fewest foul shots because they are not attacking the basket.  When your shot is falling, shoot the 3.  When you are cold, take it to the hoop and score, get fouled or create for a teammate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I never said he's not a solid dude. Lol.  And he's certainly not a whiner.

He looks to have a lack of confidence (fragile psyche).  I've also said fragile ego.  By that I also mean a lack of confidence, not that he's a jerk.

Even after he hit the game winner, if you look at the replay he collapsed on the floor almost in a sense of relief instead of being excited about it.  I can empathize with Dailey because that's exactly how I was as a competitor.  I was harder on myself than any coach could ever be (I always needed a coach to tell me to lighten up and stop taking a game so seriously and to have fun) and I was always nervous about underperforming and letting the team down.  

Bringing Dailey off the bench may ruin his fragile sense of confidence.  On the other hand, it may take pressure off of him & allow him to just come in & let it all hang out.  Idk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I never said he's not a solid dude. Lol.  And he's certainly not a whiner.

He looks to have a lack of confidence (fragile psyche).  I've also said fragile ego.  By that I also mean a lack of confidence, not that he's a jerk.

Even after he hit the game winner, if you look at the replay he collapsed on the floor almost in a sense of relief instead of being excited about it.  I can empathize with Dailey because that's exactly how I was as a competitor.  I was harder on myself than any coach could ever be (I always needed a coach to tell me to lighten up and stop taking a game so seriously and to have fun) and I was always nervous about underperforming and letting the team down.  

Bringing Dailey off the bench may ruin his fragile sense of confidence.  On the other hand, it may take pressure off of him & allow him to just come in & let it all hang out.  Idk.

sorry, I jumped on your post.  you are one of the best on here. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

If Freeman keeps his academic scholarship doesn't that give us an extra scholly to use?

Of course, if he WANTS one that is a no brainer. Right at this point ant MAC school and most of D1 would love to steal him away.

That is the way I see it. I don't know the details, but it would be nice if Freeman was a bonus player for a couple more years. At that point he would have to be granted an athletic scholarship to attend grad school at Akron.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, Blue & Gold said:

The one who blows my mind is Freeman.  Without him we likely wouldn't have won a single game yet this year.  Simply amazing.  The announcers mentioned Freeman leads the MAC in rebounding.  Wonder if that's only MAC game totals, or season totals.  If it is season totals, we should play Malone every year. Lol. 

It does include all games, conference games only he drops to third behind Pippen and Mballa. Still pretty amazing.

• Thanks 1