Game 12- EMU

clarkwgriswold

Glad to see Dailey have a great game.  Highlight for me was watching him smile when he hit his first 3 ball.  I know that he also scored inside.  Ali was beast in the paint.  Maybe he should be our post up player instead of Freeman.  He had some nice moves inside with some great fadeaway baskets.  I agree that the subs really brought the energy on defense and on the offensive boards.  We killed them on the boards.  When is the last time anyone said that about an Akron team.  It looks like these guys will be tough to beat at home.  We have to keep bringing it on the road.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Maybe he should be our post up player instead of Freeman.

YUP, lets bench the 27th leading rebounder in the country, MAC leader.

Did not say that.  Move Freeman to the wing where Ali is playing.  Freeman could run the baseline while Ali is drawing everyones attention in the paint.  That is what happened yesterday.  

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Did not say that.  Move Freeman to the wing where Ali is playing.  Freeman could run the baseline while Ali is drawing everyones attention in the paint.  That is what happened yesterday.  

And bench Trible? Making no sense. If we get a really good BIG Freeman might not make the roster until then we need him underneath grabbing rebounds altering and blocking shots and actually making the bunnies that our alleged post players missed consistently in the past.

I don't see Freeman out of the post.  I've never seen him take a shot more than 5 feet from the basket.  One of the benefits of having him is that you don't have to make an effort to get him the ball for him to contribute.  As for Ali, he was certainly good in the post against EMU but the primary reason he was in that position was that it was his job (and Wynn's) to get into the middle against the zone.  Get the ball there against the 3-2 and things start to break down.  I don't think we'll see him there much going forward but it is certainly encouraging he can be an offensive post presence.

• 2 months later...

So they ditched a 49 year old with a .517 winning percentage for a 56 year old with a .502 winning percentage?  Other than 4 nice seasons, one of which he had handed to him at PCCC, Stan Heath has not been very good. 

On the other hand, it will be a nice homecoming and the alums will like it.  

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So they ditched a 49 year old with a .517 winning percentage for a 56 year old with a .502 winning percentage?  Other than 4 nice seasons, one of which he had handed to him at PCCC, Stan Heath has not been very good. 

I'm sure there will be a crowd of 10-12 there to greet him at the first game

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm sure there will be a crowd of 10-12 there to greet him at the first game

Inside that winning percentage are NCAA Tournament stops/wins at Kent State, Arkansas and South Florida. Without looking it up, I'm guessing Heath and Groce have the most NCAA Tournament wins for a current coach in the MAC, by far. (And Groce's overall winning percentage prior to the last 2 years was not that great, either).

Look for EMU to be a solid MAC team, not reliant on being the only team in the league playing zone to steal an extra win or two. Actually, the MAC is starting to become as diverse as it was when Heath was first down the road. Back then (2002) with him, Charlie at Miami, Joplin at Toledo, McCallum at Ball, Drake at CMU, 'Spoon at Buffalo MAC was arguably the most diverse conference in the country. And that was arguably when the league was at its best for overall talent.

Just sayin.

Edited by RoyalBlu

12 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Inside that winning percentage are NCAA Tournament stops/wins at Kent State, Arkansas and South Florida. Without looking it up, I'm guessing Heath and Groce have the most NCAA Tournament wins for a current coach in the MAC, by far. (And Groce's overall winning percentage prior to the last 2 years was not that great, either).

Look for EMU to be a solid MAC team, not reliant on being the only team in the league playing zone to steal an extra win or two. Actually, the MAC is starting to become as diverse as it was when Heath was first down the road. Back then (2002) with him, Charlie at Miami, Joplin at Toledo, McCallum at Ball, Drake at CMU, 'Spoon at Buffalo MAC was arguably the most diverse conference in the country. And that was arguably when the league was at its best for overall talent.

Just sayin.

I was merely referencing the attendance at the typical EMU game

I think it's great they have an alum leading the program.  I wouldn't be holding my breath regarding an immediate resurrection, though.  Outside of Kent's glory year, he has a career record of 179-200 (.472) and a conference record of 68-138 (.330) (!!). 

At this point in the offseason, I'm rooting for the Hurons to get their proverbial sh*t together and help lift the lower half of the conference, but I'm none too optimistic here with a sample size of 11 seasons.  I think Stan Heath is what he is...an average to below average coach.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I think it's great they have an alum leading the program.  I wouldn't be holding my breath regarding an immediate resurrection, though.  Outside of Kent's glory year, he has a career record of 179-200 (.472) and a conference record of 68-138 (.330) (!!). 

At this point in the offseason, I'm rooting for the Hurons to get their proverbial sh*t together and help lift the lower half of the conference, but I'm none too optimistic here with a sample size of 11 seasons.  I think Stan Heath is what he is...an average to below average coach.  Hope I'm wrong.

That was my point.  He's had 3 high win seasons to even get to .500.

Also, if I am an AD in a conference like the MAC, I am looking for a younger up and comer.  Not a 56 year old.  Maybe they got an alumni discount and he may be solid, it's just not the direction I would look to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I heard the only reason they hired Heath was because they couldn't sign someone older with a sub .500 record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_John

• Like 1